Shoot-n-Scoot

Bodkin, hang in there. You'll get it, it is simple. At the final destination give the unit a TARGET ARC or FACE command. Not a CLEAR TARGET. CLEAR TARGET is not a command that can be placed at a waypoint.

TARGET ARC 2i7n19w.jpg or FACE jzy9og.jpg commands will break/end/cancel any previous TARGET command.

Go back and look at the 1st image of the thread, you'll see I used TARGET ARC to cancel the TARGET command.

This new image used a FACE to cancel the TARGET command.

33wtqfd.jpg

1. QUICK command to position you want to fire from.
  2. Select the waypoint at the firing position. Give PAUSE 15sec command. Set TARGET command on to the target you want to hit.
  3. REVERSE command to position you want to back up to.
  4. Select the waypoint at the final destination. Give FACE command to direction you want the unit to face.

Sound off if your still having questions, we'll get you squared away

It does work for them, you can test that by giving them an area fire and not waiting to aquire the target.

My personal opinion is that the CAAT TOW Humvee are rather blind. Unless more people notice that BFC won't have it as an issue. It also should be harder to spot than say an M1. ;)

I tried using area fire.

Move quick to a point with LOS to target. Area fire at end waypoint. Pause for 45 seconds. Then reverse. Result: Moves to point. Sits for 45 seconds then reverses. If it still has LOS to the target it will fire after the reverse command is completed. The unit did not receive any incoming fire at all.

I tried plotting only a move quick to the same point with with only an area fire command and it was successful.

Tried the first technique with gun mounted vehicle and it worked as planned. Could it be something with the TOW.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to Big Poppa Pump's comments: I've tried this with Bradleys as well.

1) Move/Hunt to firing position.

2) Pause 15 seconds

3) Reverse

They will engage visible targets using that series of commands, but unfortunately never with TOWs. So if they spot an MBT they'll blaze away at it with their 25mm cannons giving away their positions without ever firing that crucial first ATGM shot from surprise.

Do I need a longer pause command to accommodate target acquisition and missile flight time?

• 4 months later...
Bodkin, hang in there. You'll get it, it is simple. At the final destination give the unit a TARGET ARC or FACE command. Not a CLEAR TARGET. CLEAR TARGET is not a command that can be placed at a waypoint.

TARGET ARC 2i7n19w.jpg or FACE jzy9og.jpg commands will break/end/cancel any previous TARGET command.

Go back and look at the 1st image of the thread, you'll see I used TARGET ARC to cancel the TARGET command.

This new image used a FACE to cancel the TARGET command.

33wtqfd.jpg

1. QUICK command to position you want to fire from.
  2. Select the waypoint at the firing position. Give PAUSE 15sec command. Set TARGET command on to the target you want to hit.
  3. REVERSE command to position you want to back up to.
  4. Select the waypoint at the final destination. Give FACE command to direction you want the unit to face.

Sound off if your still having questions, we'll get you squared away

It doesn't work

Pause, Target and Face commands are all referred to the starting point

• 1 year later...

janbak,

The solution is really quite simple: the picture actually SHOWS you what orders to use...

QUICK (or any other movement order) up to the firing position you want. Then select PAUSE for however long you want to stay there. Next, pick another movement order to leave that point. REVERSE if you want to stay facing that way.

I suggest you start a Quick Battle with armor on your side, ignore all other aspects of the game, and just click around a bit. In fact, you can try to exactly recreate that set of orders, then create your own.

Good luck!

Ken

'Shoot & Scoot' command is of course redundant if you play realtime. You simply order the tank to do what you want when you want. Playing Wego, or if you get distracted with other tasks in realtime, your armor will likely back away from an unexpected overwhelming threat on its own.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...