Shoot-n-Scoot

my only problem is the 15 sec interval. an eternity in modern warfare.

in addition it is difficult to get a hulldown position. if you do hunt, then all later orders will be dropped and the tank will stay put. is mainly an issue in WEGO.

the following scenario should be possible (actual tactics we trained for):

dismount the tank commander (can be done by dismounting e.g. the platoon leader tank. use this guy as an OP to spot for acceptable targets.

assign a target (by the OP either through wire or radio) to a tank run the tank from its full cover position to the (prepared) hulldown shooting position. shoot once - throw in reverse and get back into full cover as quick as possible.

okwhty.jpg

You can do 1 shot without pause, but the accuracy is low. All I do is 2 waypoints very close the 2nd waypoint is a SLOW, (see Pop-n-Drop) that will allow you time to hit and still remain stable. I suggest 15 sec due to the high hit probability after the QUICK, but you can use any movement order you wish. I do not recommend HUNT for a Shoot-n-Scoot.

Thinking outside the box Gentlemen ;)

Originally posted by Chainsaw:

why dont you recomend HUNT command? that will make the tank stop if it sees the contact erlier and might save it from show whole front?

or are you afraid HUNT will make the tank stop and firing at something else from what you want it to do?

/Chainsaw

As far as I understand the hunt command is ok until something is seen. the all the following commands are dropped an the vehicle stops and will eventually engage the target, but will not move until ordered to do so ... so sitting like a duck.

Originally posted by winkelried:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chainsaw:

why dont you recomend HUNT command? that will make the tank stop if it sees the contact erlier and might save it from show whole front?

or are you afraid HUNT will make the tank stop and firing at something else from what you want it to do?

/Chainsaw

As far as I understand the hunt command is ok until something is seen. the all the following commands are dropped an the vehicle stops and will eventually engage the target, but will not move until ordered to do so ... so sitting like a duck. </font>

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Updated Shoot-N-Scoot for the CMSF: MARINES

Limited ammo a problem? Don’t want to fire all your SWAW / Javelins Rockets all in one WEGO turn? Here is a brief tutorial on conserving ammo with your Digital Devildogs by using a “tried and true” tactic.

#1 Select SWAW Team. Place TARGET at building located at Objective 1.

#2 Give the SMAW Team a 15sec PAUSE

Javelin note: give the unit a 30 sec PAUSE due to the need for the CLU to lock on.

23tnodu.jpg

av3hjk.jpg

#3 Give the team a QUICK waypoint on the same building they are located in

Note: if the team in not in a building you can place the waypoint on the teams same position or to a safer fall back position

#4 If you selected a multi-story building as the waypoint you will be prompted to select a level

Note: changing elevation may allow you to get a better LOS on other Opfor targets.

fnwh9i.jpg

15zgy8m.jpg

#5 Select the last waypoint(white circle) in the string and give the team a FACE or TARGET ARC in any future direction you wish

Note: this will break the earlier TARGET command thus saving you from expending excess rounds

29w1ws5.jpg

2mdhras.jpg

Congratulations you have just completed a course in Ammo conservation.

ooOOHHRAH!

If you have an questions please feel free to ask.

my only problem is the 15 sec interval. an eternity in modern warfare.

in addition it is difficult to get a hulldown position.

Guys, what's the deal with 15 sec, where do they come from? Do you somehow set the duration or are they intrinsic to WEGO? Also pls explain 'hulldown'.

Totally new to CMSF+CMM (@1.10) Sabrefly.

Thanks.

Guys, what's the deal with 15 sec, where do they come from? Do you somehow set the duration or are they intrinsic to WEGO? Also pls explain 'hulldown'.

Totally new to CMSF+CMM (@1.10) Sabrefly.

Thanks.

1. 15sec comes from when you hit "Pause" the first pause you hit is 15sec, next is 30sec and up to 1.5 minute. its default and nothing we can do about it. would be nice if BFC could make it 5,10,15 seconds and after that 30 and so on.

2. Hull down is when the AFVs hull (body) is in cover behind a berm/obstacle and only the turret is showing, wich gives the result that the AFV is betther protected but can still engage targets with its main gun.

Look at http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Merkava-Pics/MerkavaMk3-firing-lahat120.jpg to get an idea of what I mean, as you see the hull is covered while the turret is still able to engage.

next step is "turret down" (I think its called that in english atleast) wich is the whole AFV in cover just below the berm, if the AFV have hunter/killer kapacity often the TCs PERI is sticking up so the TC can see over the berm. This gives the advantage that the tank is in full cover and only the small PERI is visable wich makes it hard to detect. I dont know how good CMSF can portray this thoe. Something to test.

/Thomas

I tried to do this but can't get it to work for me.

I just want to move my tank forward pause for 15 secs to get a couple of shots off then reverse back.

Problem is I give the target order from the second waypoint where the tank pauses and it fires at the building as planned however when it reverses back it continues to keep firing at the target even at it's final destination. I only want it to fire from a certain waypoint.

Help appreciated.

I tried to do this but can't get it to work for me.

I just want to move my tank forward pause for 15 secs to get a couple of shots off then reverse back.

Problem is I give the target order from the second waypoint where the tank pauses and it fires at the building as planned however when it reverses back it continues to keep firing at the target even at it's final destination. I only want it to fire from a certain waypoint.

Help appreciated.

The point of a shoot-and-scoot move is to come from out of LoS, shoot something, and move back out of LoS. If you can hit the target from your final waypoint, then you're not really doing a shoot-and-scoot. Obviously, breaking LoS will stop you firing.

Anyhew to work around what you seem to want to do, you can select a subsequent waypoint and hit 'cancel target' (or the delete key) at that waypoint, and it will stop firing once it gets there. You could also use two reverse waypoints - the first one a tiny distance behind the firing position, where you cancel the target order (or replace it with a short covered arc), and then the 2nd reverse back to where you want to end up where it will no longer fire on the move.

Vulture,

Yes I'm not trying shoot and scoot as such more just trying to get my tank to fire at a building for a couple of shots so it dosen't use up all it's ammo in a WEGO turn.

I've tried using the clear target command at the final waypoint but will have another go.

Update: Tried again still no luck, it seems you can't cancel a fire command at a waypoint only give another sort of command so I'll have to settle with target light or a cover arc.

Update: Tried again still no luck, it seems you can't cancel a fire command at a waypoint only give another sort of command so I'll have to settle with target light or a cover arc.

Thats correct, to end a target command you need to give a target arc or a face command. But thats not really a problem either :)

/Thomas