Units (infantry squads) stucked in residental area.

In dense residential area (lot of houses and narrow roads) the infantry squads stucked. Eg. 4 soldier in a house and other 3 in an other house two streets over and 2 soldiers lay in the road between the others. And if I order them to go somewhere, they denied my order.

Not tired! They are ready. Somhow they can't find path... But if I try to retreat them for reorg or something, they denied too... :(

Very annoying.

I'm having the same problem trying to play "Soldier's Fury" - A fan-designed mission.

Soldiers on the lowest level of a building won't move ACROSS THE STREET to occupy the building across from them.

Very frustrating. This wasn't one squad. I had three different squads refuse orders to the building across the street. Something is wrong with the map or the path-finding (or both).

Yep, had this problem in urban maps, the only time they organised themselves back into a combined squad was when I gave them orders to board a vehicle or sometimes you have to give them an order to move back to where half the squad got stuck, haven't tried splitting the squad and then trying to get them to merge again at another location. Definately frustrating when they're needed at the front but want to hang around the back blocks and let the others do all the work.

SlapHappy: I found this problem in official campaign and also not with only one squad. All squad stucked, who move into the dense residental (low level) area.

bodkin: I found your solution, but it's work only a few squads (reorg them in a Stryker), the other squad didn't move anywhere and they deny to go into the Stryker too.

I try the Slow movement but it also was useless.

vetacon: Agreed. I ask before: this is the right place to report a bug, or I have to do anything else?

Guys I'm in the middle of the Hims Homes mission, major urban area where you experience the same issues you are all describing. I assume it's a bug that causes it but here's current work arounds that I've found.

1.In regard to the squads refusing to leave a building. If you order them into another building they often won't move. However, if you order them out of the building, i.e. put a waypoint just outside they will go to it. Then once that waypoint is set, just set another in the building you wish to go to and generally I have found them going.

2.As for the squads not all moving. Pretty much everytime I have seen this its one fire time goes and the other stays. If you split the squad using the admin command and then move both fire teams into the same building and floor they will group as a single squad in a few seconds, rather than having to send them back to a Stryker.

As I said it's definitely something that doesn't work right, but here's the solution I've found to get around it thus far.

This is really killing me now. Playing the Aleppo Airport scen. which is great, but squads are just randomly refusing to respond to movement orders. They are in command, not moving into enemy fire etc. but they just will not move - and I literally cannot advance as the troops simply refuse to move. Weird.

Prez Cartman, your work arounds didn't work for me but thanks all the same.

I've noticed this same problem many times now in urban areas.. But some of the time when the troops refuse to move its not about the AI going crazy, its about poorly made maps or rather poorly made buildings. I've seen that in most cases when your troops refuse to go to a building (or a part of a building complex) its simpy because the doorway is blocked for one reason or another. As you might have noticed, many of the bigger "buildings" are actually a collection of smaller buildings put right next to each others. And the troops can only enter a building or a part of a bigger complex through the wall of the house or room which has the door. Carefully examining the buildings I have had trouble with I have seen the following situations:

-The part of the building you are trying to access has only 1 door and that door should be accessed inside another part of the same building but there is a very small gap between the building parts so the troops cant fit in that few cm gap and there is no other door so no path inside.

-There is no door to the complex from the outside. I can't remember which map this was but there was a house which was made out of 2 smaller buildings. But the only doors in the "rooms" were facing each other, so no door from the outside.

-Again only one door and a large fence/wall surrounding that side of the building. This also makes the AI not find a path inside and thus doesnt know what to do.

And many many other related situations I can't remember now. Usually these problems are not so bad inside smaller building but when it comes to the multistory multipart buildings the problems go up like the CO2 levels in the last 40 years. Now these observations cover only the part where you have trouble entering a building. I have no idea why in some cases the teams split up and get stuck. That happens to me too quite often and the only remedy I've found is to place a waypoint somewhere on the side of the icon which should be halfway between the split squad. And that usually causes casualties.

So my word goes out to all of you scenario designers and map makers; PLEASE be VERY carefull when placing buildings and doing bigger complexes. The only way from one part of the building to another is through a section that has the door in it. I had some hudge losses in that airfield mission early in the campaign because the Special Forces HQ or whatever that cross-shaped building was was rather poorly "built" and when accessing it my troops moved from very idiotic places from one block to another.. Specially in the 2nd and 3rd level of the building.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Madmatt:

The upcoming v1.03 patch offers improvements and fixes to the "stuck" infantry issue as well as problems with units wandering into buildings when they were not ordered to.

Madmatt

Is anybody else still seeing this in 1.03? I have stuck units and not in urban areas and in one case located in woods. In fact two halfs of the squad has seperated some distant from each other and refuse to move at all now. Not sure why they splt as I didn't give them an assault order that I know of.

I have not tried the split unit trick yet.

Another unit is in a trench and the whole squad refuses to move. Morale is good and no suppresion. No enemy nearby.