What Graphics Card Should I Buy Now?

I'm reading and reading but can't find a definitive answer.

I' going to buy a Quad6600. That is definately.

Running WinXP for the foreseeable future.

But which graphics card should i get to get the best performance in CMSF (and the upcoming titles)?

Which one will display fog in the following WWII title?

Please help me, i want to buy the computer and the game ASAP.

Yeah Steiner,

Don't use Vista AND an ATI product together - you'll have a useless game if you do. In the eternal performance leapfrog game, nVidia are back on top of the heap.

Seems like the older your equipment, the better.

[ July 29, 2007, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: tarball ]

I've got a Nvidia 7950 GT with 512 MB of RAM and WinXP and I'm having a grand ol' time, working just fine smile.gif

For Nvidia 79xx cards, it seems that the 94.24 drivers are a good version to use.

Dunno if you're joking about the fog, but they all will display fog unless ATI/Nvidia break their drivers (which would never happen, no.....)

Steiner - you want a GeForce card. The game as is runs on my GeForce 6800 system and fails on an ATI Radeon 9600 system. It is probably an ATI driver issue and will probably get fixed, but why put up with the frustration? Just get a GeForce card. My advice...

Ok, guys you've almost convinced me. But which GeForce? AstroCat is having huge problems with his 8800GTX.

I'm leaning torwards a 8800GTS, but there are enough people stating they have performance problems with the 8800GTS, too - it seems it's not possible to play with maximum details, which is a shame for the power of the card.

So which card do i need, to be able to play CMSF with maximum settings?

Originally posted by mystro:

I have no problems so far with ati xt 800 and XP with current drivers. I'm sure it'll boil down to a tweaking thing.

Hi Mystro,

Like Rune said, what settings and drivers are you using?

I have a three year old Radeon ATI X800GT card. I downloaded and installed the 7.7 Catalyst driver. XP SP2.

The game tries to start, I get a green mouse pointer, and then my monitor shuts off and I need to manually reboot my computer. I'm planning to replace the video card, but I'd like to at least see the game now even if I get poor performance from my old card.

So, what settings are you using?

Spiny

It looks like I haven't updated drivers resently and hopefully for those who have.. this isn't the reason it's working with both demo and retail.

Driver Packaging Version 8.301-060926a-036790C-ATI

CATALYST Version 06.10

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6641

2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{4AA9A5D9-B952-4718-8864-430953AD9680}/0000

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0440

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.6120

CATALYST Control Center Version 1.2.2460.36742

AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

AV Stream (T200) Driver Version 6.14.10.1075

[ July 30, 2007, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: mystro ]

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Ok, guys you've almost convinced me. But which GeForce? AstroCat is having huge problems with his 8800GTX.

I'm leaning torwards a 8800GTS, but there are enough people stating they have performance problems with the 8800GTS, too - it seems it's not possible to play with maximum details, which is a shame for the power of the card.

So which card do i need, to be able to play CMSF with maximum settings?

i would assume that the developers tested out the game at maximum setting. any developer care to provide insight as to the system that can achieve maximum settings?

please.

[ July 30, 2007, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: peleprodigy ]

Originally posted by mystro:

It looks like I haven't updated drivers resently and hopefully for those who have.. this isn't the reason it's working with both demo and retail.

Thanks Mystro, I think that driver/Catalyst version is still available on the ATI web site. I'll give it a try tonight.

Spiny

Originally posted by JasonC:

Steiner - you want a GeForce card. The game as is runs on my GeForce 6800 system and fails on an ATI Radeon 9600 system. It is probably an ATI driver issue and will probably get fixed, but why put up with the frustration? Just get a GeForce card. My advice...

There are plenty of GeForce cards having issues as well, especially the 8800. I have access to three machines with various geforce cards, all have issues.

Well pleased using 7950gt with 512 mb of ram onboard, using 93.71 drivers, Intel 3.4 ghz D945 cpu, 2GB ram and win xp pro 64 bit. Game runs very well at 1280x960 or 1152x864 with no CTD's and graphics settings pretty well maxed out apart from anti-aliasing. Only problem is i get stuttery performance unless i turn off 1 cpu core and V-Sync is disabled ingame. Shame cant choose refresh rate when choosing game res as it seems to default to 60hz when v-sync is enabled instead of refresh rate i have monitor set too which im sure causes some of the stuttering.

Noticed when i went to download Theatre of War Demo off this same web site that on download web page it actually recommends multi-core cpu users to only use 1 core to get much better framerates. Also the option to use 1 cpu is actually in the ingame options which seems a very good idea (saves Alt-Tabbing out every time you play it) other game programmers should note that. I know its a different game but there must be something in it.

ps Just ran Theatre of War Demo. You should try it out just to see difference in frame rates between using Multi-Core and 1 Core WOW!! No comparison.

[ August 02, 2007, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Budge4 ]