May 22nd Update on the forthcoming game patch

Hey guys, are promised before, I am going to try and keep everyone up to date on where things stand.

Earlier this week my testing team got a new patch version from 1C and are currently testing it out along with the new Map Editor and 10 Mission Battle for Moscow Add-On.

I wanted you to know about some of the stuff 1C has been working on. The following is the list of stuff in the patch I am testing now. This does not mean all of this will 100% go into the final patch (that's why we have to test this stuff) nor is this the final list of stuff, BUT I told you I would let you know whats going on, so here it is:

Gameplay Patch issues and additions:

* Map Editor Added (accessed via the builder.exe program or in the ToW Program Group shortcut "Map Editor"

* A new 10 mission "Battle for Moscow 1941" Campaign Added. Accessed via the "Extra Campaigns" option in the Campaign List page

* Improved logging functions to help with determining the causes of certain crashes

* Hot keys for Unit Formations, Movement Modes, Hold Fire and Hold Position commands added

* Better handling of the Reverse Command for vehicles, vehicles will now use their reverse gears instead of turning toward enemy when ordered to reverse)

* Expanded sound system (better EAX implementation)

* Improved sound (more sounds, and can be heard from further away)

* Waypoints added for units (hold 'shift' key when issuing movement orders to place waypoints)

* Units no longer stop when they receive a new orders

* LOS tweaks - The visibility conditions through forest were changed (being tested still but improvements allow for each individual tree trunk and tree crown to be calculated for LOS)

* AI Targeting behavior tweaked so that the default aiming location is the turret on enemy units that are hulldown

* Game speed acceleration/deceleration feature added allows speed changes of up to x2 or half speed as of now)

* Fixed bug with the units boarding certain vehicles

* Multiplayer load bugs during client loading were fixed

* Fixed: AT Guns not being able to have commands issued in some situations

* Fixed Load/Save Game errors

* Towsetup 'Autodetect' functions improved

* Mission Editor "wrong application version error" bug fixed

* Improvements to the gun towing process implemented

* Units now better at holding position when they are in defensive positions

* New "License Helper" utility (called License_Helper.exe) added to help those that had issues with the eLicense program freezing or locking up in the past

* New manual "Unlicense" shortcut added to game program group (to unlicense game without uninstalling)

Obviously, there are a lot of people with AMD and Intel multi-cre CPU's wondering how things are coming with that as well. We have identified ways to improve performance and overall game stability that are related to the game compiler version (a compiler, put very simply is basically software that pulls all the game files together and allows them interact with one another)that was used and are working at implementing and testing those changes.

Because we want to get this patch out to you soon though, it looks like this first patch will have at least some performance improvements with a second patch coming soon after that will boast even more. We are working with the compiler developer right now, and they are promising many improvements and optimizations in a updated compiler release but that new version is still a few weeks away and we don't want to delay the patch any longer than we have to.

Of course, switching to a new compiler might also introduce unforseen issues, so this is something that needs to be tested internally and that takes time as well.

Anyway, all of this compiler stuff is still being discussed internally, tested and evaulated, but I wanted you to know where everything was RIGHT NOW.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in helping myself and my team with TESTING (especially MP) then I have a few open positions that I might be willing to have you fill.

Email me (support@battlefront.com) a little background on yourself, gaming habits, your forum handle, your system specs, your experience with ToW and your availability for testing (how much time you can devote) and I will pick a few guys from the ToW community to get a sneak peak at both the add-on and patch.

Okay, so thats where we are right now. As I get more details, I will of course enlighten you all.

Madmatt

[ May 22, 2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I just realized there were some other mission specific stuff in the patch as well that I left off.

Going from memory now but I know the one issue with the French Campaign intro video showing "subtitle01" was fixed and the Defense Tutorial mission was adjusted so that it wasn't QUITE so hard anymore. There will likely be other mission tweaks and changes included in the patch as well.

Madmatt

Guest lmgroth

Thanks Madmatt, BF & 1C!

How many of these fixes do you think address stability issues? I am still having problems which I think are related to sound... even with the EAX/music/shadows/swapfile suggestions applied.

But thank you for the support... "Patch it and they will come!"

Madmatt

It's good to hear these problems are being addressed. I have looked at all of the crash/freeze issues and possible resolutions and determined that while I can minimize crashes and freezes I still have not been able to rid myself of them entirely. Hopefully the compiler updates will help with getting rid of them entirely in the (somewhat) near future.

That being said, I am curious about simply improving the overall performance of the game up to and including additional hardware upgrades if necessary. However, sometimes it is frustrating to determine exactly what upgrades would be most effective. For instance, I could run out and buy the most costly vid card out there, only to find that perhaps upgrading from 1 GB of memory to 2 GB would have been a more helpful solution. Do you or the developers have any comments about memory availability and it's impact on this particular game engine? Also CPU? I'd also suspect that the actual bus speed of the memory may play at least a marginal role in achieved FPS. While I'm not doubting the influence of the video card on any 3d game engine, I'm curious about these issues. Especially upon inspecting the rather large resource footprint that TOW seems to have once the game gets rolling.

General_solomon, I think it was stated before that infantry entering buildings seems to be a bigger issue that will not get patched in. It should be on the list for either an add-on later this year (not the Moscow one) or in an ToW2. Either Moon or Madmatt had posted that before - can't find it now....

Uwe

Reichenberg is correct. We plan to add infantry being able to enter buildings, and, on top of that, add on-map mortars and howitzers to the game, but this is a HUGE effort which will require, uh, half a year to code in, so we're going to plan to release it as part of an add-on. As soon as some more details are firmed up we're going to make the official announcements. So don't tell anybody yet... shshhhh... ;)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie update, the patch is still being worked on so it won't be out for this weekend.

We are trying to get at least *some* multi-core optimizations into the first patch, but this may not appear until subsequent patches. Final determination and approval on the patch contents will probably be made next week with a release following *soon* after. I can't define how "SOON", soon will be though.

The patch, as is adds, some nice new features and fixes (LOS tweaks, waypoints, better AI behavior etc...) but I really wanted to see some performance improvements across the board, but those might not be able to get into this first patch.

Hopefully I will have more details next week on where things stand.

Madmatt

Originally posted by adminttd:

hi why dont you just release a patch already with the things that you have fixed???

i need this patch lol if you wait longer i finish this game and i dont need it anymore heeh

btw game rocks

That's certainly a fair question. There are two main reasons that its not being released right this moment.

#1 The new Battle for Moscow 10 mission campaign (which it looks like we will just package with the patch) is still being play tested and balanced.

#2 I want to try and stick as much as I can into the first patch, but I won't delay it unnecessarily. ;)

Madmatt

Thanks for the update MadMatt! Dont release a "broken" patch . . . so test as long as needed. But please keep us (the fans . . or clients) updated as to what is happening.

Gamers are usually willing to wait for a good patch. But they HATE to be left in a vacuum with no information.

If half the users cant use the game what does extra missions accomplish. Most of the original missions are unplayable without the patch. So just release the patch already and stop the nonsense.

I sure hope the testers your using now werent the same ones who gave the ok for the initial release.

I dont hear anyone crying because you havent released the moscow additions. I suspect if the game finally works and so does the editor I can get lots of user posted missions in the next few months.

If a real army moved as slowly as your staff we would still be fighting WWII.

GB