Dev blogs

SoaN

Visuals are nice, as always. smile.gif

I'm more interested about gameplay features, specially about getting rid of tanks 360º visual arc and making infantry behaviour better and more intelligent (i.e. taking cover by themselves).

But of course thanks for your updates, SoaN! It's good to know what's going on smile.gif

It got scarely quite here in July and beginning of August.....

But when I see all the info in this thread about the add-on, coming campaigns and the general direction ToW seems to head I get excited that hopefully ToW can live up at one point to its real potential.

If we now could have a random battle generator, a video recording tool (rewinding!!) and an easier accessible map and mission editor..... a dream would come true!!

Uwe

I agree.I've always thoght Tow is a great game and as far as I'm concerned was well worth the money I paid for it.There is so much I like about it,the game and map editor the user interface,the shear spectacle of it.There is not much of it on the downside for me at the moment even in it's present condition but if there is one thing it's the difficulty in setting up scenarios with the placing of units then the placeholders which,for me anyway,never match up with the units they are supposed to which then means that before I can start a game I have to reorganise them all.Hopefully this could be improved sometime in the future.

Why more german missions!!

We only have have 9 US/UK missions 2/3 UK and they decide that more german missions will be better!!

I would like more Uk missions not against the UK with the UK!!

And it also seems using a translator this isthe last campaign they are releasing for TOW!

The Allied forces (US & UK) are sure in need of some good campaigns. I just hope they fix the campaigns so your core units transfer from mission to mission, and not skip/jump from a infantry only mission in one then a tank only mission in the next where no units carry over.

Originally posted by crazyman56:

Why more german missions!!

And it also seems using a translator this isthe last campaign they are releasing for TOW!

Farther there will be addons, not only new campaigns.

I'm an old style playtester and designer for ASL and Advanced Tobruk.

Some ideas for the future:

Guns get knocked out way too easy. In reality they were very difficult to hit and often knocked out several tanks before even being located. In defensive positions, they were usually in weapon pits with sand bags or dug into the ground with only the barrel above the surface of the ground. This made them very hard to see let alone hit. They are also hard to see in the woods or in a building because looking into such cover from the outside during the day, it is dark in there compared to the brightness outside. Even firing would not always give away the guns position every time. Guns were dealt with by aircraft, artillery, mortars, machine guns, infantry assault, snipers, and lastly, tanks and other guns. Smoke was also used to move up close to them where grenades and small arms could effect the guns. Now I know that we have all seen pictures of guns set up in the open and NOT dug in. Usually Russian or American guns during an advance or sitting at a crossroads in the street. When advancing, guns were constantly being moved so they were not always dug in. They may have been supporting an infantry assault on buildings or covering an open area where the enemy is not yet seen and the infantry must cross over. In 1944 and 1945 both Russia and the USA supplied an overwhelming number of guns in support of their troops. There were always plenty of Russian 76mm and American 57mm anti-tank guns and they were not always dug in. But the idea was to put them all over the battlefield covering every gap and every angle of approach so that rates of fire and hit probabilities went way up. The idea was to outnumber and out flank the German tanks. There were so many of them that they did not see the need to dig in--it would just slow them down--especially during an advance. So when designing a scenario and the guns are NOT dug in, please allow the player enough guns to have a chance of being successful. 2, or 4 guns, most times is not enough to do the job when they are sitting out in the open. The guns, also used smoke to screen out some tanks and limit the number of targets that they had to engage, or limit the direction that they wanted to fire in. Guns like the FRench 75mm which the Polish used as well, could fire smoke and obscure all but a small number of targets which could then be successfully engaged without experiencing too much return fire or being pinned. Good gun crews and experienced gunners could do this. Also please include the German 88mmAA gun as this was crucial to defeating the British Matilda and French CHar B. The Italians also were successful in using their 90mm AA gun as an anti-tank gun and used the Modello 75mmAA gun with good results against British Matildas at Bardia and Tobruk in 1940 so don't forget to include them in the game at some future time.

Thank you,

Pat Hair