Will the multiplayer part overworked or not?

Kettenhund

Originally posted by Xerxes the Great:

This game will live or die depending on its multiplayer stability and playability.

Have you looked at the number posts in this here forum lately.

Its not even one page in the last ten days.Plus only 3 threads had posts today when i checked.

I think this game is dying as we speak.

I also believe the quote: This game will live or die depending on its multiplayer stability and playability.(Xerxes the Great)

Please BF and 1C do something about this! This game can (could) have a long future. If nothing is going to chance, this game is already history, and that would be a shame!

Goof luck!!!

hello! They already answered, just above by Soan ;) :

"Multiplayer part of the game will be overworked. 2 details that I am able to tell you about it is new maps and opponent searching tool. That all by now that can be told, sorry."

Originally posted by Tartari:

"Multiplayer part of the game will be overworked. 2 details that I am able to tell you about it is new maps and opponent searching tool. That all by now that can be told, sorry."

Yeah, that'll address stability and playability.

Originally posted by Tartari:

vin, I still play CMAK/BB and still enjoy it, the same with ToW smile.gif

I think TOW is a great game and with the multiplayer side of it being improved im sure it will keep people playing it for that reason. But what about the single player side of it, do you think a couple of dozen missions will keep people playing it and coming back for more ? i dont think so myself and im sure there are more who think the same. I was really hoping a RBG would be included in TOW, major dissapointment which has let the game down. This could of been one of the best but simply tweaking the multiplayer side of it wont do it for me, what this game needs is a battle generator to keep bringing people back for more not knowing what your gonna be facing in your next mission. As i have said before improve the single player mode and make it more playable, playability goes along way and two dozen or so missions is just awful especially when you have completed them.

I agree with you vin (even if I already enjoy the game like it is), I hope that 1C will add more and more improvements,toward more realism and historical accuracy and what I read from the blog translated by Soan made me very confident:

"Let’s talk about future. When we were programming visibility we decided to make it standard like for other games of that sort – we constructed circular visibility for all game objects. Many players, not only, had a lot of questions about such system. So for TOW addon (we have not made official announcement yet) we are working on system non-standard for strategic games. We hope that player will be more used too such realization of visibility because they see it in real life. In new system will be counted: angular sizes of object, camouflage, weather conditions, smoke, terrain type on which object and observer are placed, movement, trees and etc.

We are already checking new modeled technics. We changed armor system: we divided hull into different parts, added “armor structure”.

We are giving special attention to infantry, which includes not only humans but technics in there hands. Infantry will try acting more in squads, but each human will stay individuality and will still remain force. Answering on your future questions – yes, there will be enterable buildings."

tongue.gif

[ August 14, 2007, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Tartari ]

Originally posted by gautrek:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Xerxes the Great:

This game will live or die depending on its multiplayer stability and playability.

Have you looked at the number posts in this here forum lately.

Its not even one page in the last ten days.Plus only 3 threads had posts today when i checked.

I think this game is dying as we speak. </font>

Yeah, I stopped playing after the first campaign was completed. I felt like I was solving a puzzle. I tried my hand at building a scenario. It was a disaster. Never got it to do what I wanted. I went back to CM and generated a few random battles and never looked back. I've still followed the game to see if 1C can get its act together. Maybe it will.

What's most interesting is CMSF has come out in about the same state as TOW, maybe worse. But I find myself playing it anyway. You know why, map editor, scenario editor, Quick Battles (somewhat nuetered). Within a week of release, there were a dozen user scenarios out for CMSF. I don't think we have a dozen overall for TOW.

Well, as i said before release, don't have a very high hopes and you wouldn't be disappointed:) I don't think we'll get completely redone MP; i'll say some enhancements, maybe new maps, maybe force selection before battle, and some form of lobby.

MP would be redone completely along with enterable buildings i think, in a new version. It is in the works but i doubt it will be a free patch, more likely a stand-alone addon.

• 3 weeks later...

They cant rework the MP netcode thats for sure - the IL-2 engine wasnt made for peer to peer play - it was made for server based play.

It will never be possible to play 4vs4 with at least 100 units on a map.

So R.I.P. TOW - iam looking forward to Sudden Strike 3 and some tank sims.

As i said in another thread, there is very little in common left between IL2 and TOW.

Current MP code (which will be in upcoming patch) allows 8 players maximum (it can be 4x4 or other combinations). Maximum number of separate units in MP is around 100 units in the field in any given moment.

It's strange, i've played some MP myself when game was released and 1vs1 never game me problems. No matter - with new MP code mission with 8 players (4 devs on local LAN and 4 fans from different parts of Russia, all players loaded within ~6 minutes) was succesfully played some time ago, and the work on MP patch is continuing. We'll try to optimise it further as best as we can.