Super Heavy Tanks (over 100 tons)

Tofke

hi,

just a little post about WW2 "Super Heavy Tank"

The german "Maus" 188 Tons (207 tons combat loaded), 128 or 150 mm main gun + 1 co-axial 75 mm KwK 44 L/36.5, armour 40 to 240 mm, 1200 hp (1400 L for 100 Kms !!!!)

mausoc4.jpg

kub002oe3.jpg

The german project E-100 (a mix between King Tiger and Maus), main gun 177 mm, 100 tons, never finished.

compare chassis with the other tank:

e100.jpg

US T-28 100 tons (full combat loaded), main gun 105 mm T5E1, armour 51 to 292 mm.

t283jy2.jpg

and probably the "insane project of WW2" (maybe in future TOW add-on ; )) the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte.

"The Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte (Rat) was to have been an extremely large tank for use by Nazi Germany during World War II. It was designed in 1942 by Krupp with the approval of Adolf Hitler, but the project was canceled by Albert Speer in early 1943 and none were ever completed. At over 1800 metric tons (One million, eight hundred thousand kilograms, or 3.96 million pounds and as much as an Ognevoy class destroyer), the P-1000 would have been roughly ten times heavier than the Panzer VIII Maus, the largest tank ever actually built.

Its primary weapons would have been two 280 mm guns mounted in the same type of gun turret used in Gneisenau class warships. One such turret was supposedly built before the project was canceled and was later installed in a coastal defense battery in Norway, though credible evidence of this occurrence is strangely absent. Other guns would have included a single 128 mm gun, eight 20 mm Flak 38 anti-aircraft guns and two 15 mm Mauser MG 151/15 guns." wikipedia

035.jpg

compare

p10006oqcn9.jpg

and to finish, the smallest...

the scooter-cannon :D

scootercannonwk1.jpg

with oil spots to make slip the panzers in yours six...

have a nice day

[ May 16, 2007, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Tofke ]

I win :D

Conception

On 23 June 1942 the German Ministry of Armaments proposed a 1,000 tonne tank - the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte. Adolf Hitler himself expressed interest in the project and go-ahead was granted. In December the same year, Krupp designed an even larger 2,500 tonne tank - the P 1500 Monster.

In early 1943, Albert Speer, the Minister for Armaments, canceled the project.

Purpose

This "land cruiser" was planned as a self-propelling platform for the 80-cm K (E) guns also made by Krupp - the largest artillery weapons ever built. Their 7 tone projectiles could be fired up to 37 km (23 miles) and were designed for use against heavily fortified targets.

Specification

The P 1500 would have dwarfed even the largest super-heavy tanks in development at the time - such as the German Panzer VIII Maus, the biggest built during the war. The Maus weighed 188 tonnes against the P 1500's proposed 2,500 tonnes. For comparison, the German heavy tank Tiger I weighed 57 tonnes.

The P 1500 was to have 250 mm frontal armour and be propelled by two or four diesel submarine engines. In addition to its main 80 cm gun, it would have been armed with two 15 cm sFH 18 heavy howitzers and multiple MG 151 autocannon.

Tofke,

That tank next to the E-100 chassis is a Valentine of some sort. Hardly a like for like comparison! The Maus is at Kubinka and is reportedly put together from two separate sets of Maus components.

That said, some sources report a finished one fought at Zossen, near Berlin. Hadn't seen the Ratte illos before, but there is a cool book I got for a friend on the German super tanks. Had a full set of E-100 drawings and stunning color renderings of one shaped like a turtle--in ambush scheme! Will see if I can reconstruct the title, but meanwhile, here're some more E-100 pics.

http://www.trackpads.net/tanks/sosfindlay/e100.htm

And here it is, Trojca's GERMAN SECRET PANZER PROJECTS

http://www.airconnection.on.ca/airconnection_books_mht33.htm

P1000/1500

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/p1000.htm#1000

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 17, 2007, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

met1966,

Look at the shape and positioning of the mudguards on the tank shown and compare it with here. Note also the layout of the glacis, muzzle shape and positioning and the way the engine deck is shaped.

Gun appears to be a 6 pdr Note the hump (for recuperators) over the barrel.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/British/valentine_tank_and_troops

Here's cover art for a Valentine XI. Note the similarities. XI, sporting a British 75mm, had no coax MG, though.

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?MAQ-3553

Valentine X head on, with hump clearly in evidence.

http://www.o5m6.de/valentine_mkX.html

More Valentines of several types here.

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/GreatBritain/BritishInfantryTanks.html

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 18, 2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Normal Dude,

Probably enough to buy an entire company of Panzer IV/Hs.

Wicky,

Am not sure how you did it, but well done!

met1966,

That was a standard Allied recognition marking, though many painted them over after POW interrogations revealed that the Germans found they made excellent gunnery aimpoints.

Regards,

John Kettler

These super tanks are Hitlers wet dream. However as time has proven not very practical. That Ratte while interesting looks like a prime target for CAS. It would be the battleship of tanks lol.

The E series of tanks sounded interesting and I suppose lucky for us they didnt implement such a standardization process earlier in the war. Not that in the end I think Germany could have held off the allies. But it could have been possible with more standardization they prolong the war or we see the first nukes dropped on Berlin instead of Hiroshima.

Still interesting to see these plans.

JOhn,

I dont know. That last picture you sent (from model kit) DOES look quite a bit like the photo, though the first 2 look markedly different to me..but it still appears to me to be a Pershing. Can you post Pershing photo for comparison? Good point on the standard marking.

Mark

Originally posted by met1966:

JOhn,

I dont know. That last picture you sent (from model kit) DOES look quite a bit like the photo, though the first 2 look markedly different to me..but it still appears to me to be a Pershing. Can you post Pershing photo for comparison? Good point on the standard marking.

Mark

Here's a thought, If you think its a Pershing then I'm guessing you already have a photo?

Or alternatively you could do the research yourself?

30 secs of my time generated this:

A Pershing site - not definitive

And you can see its a different vehicle.

As for the US star, towards the end of the war most allied armies in Europe displayed the US symbol in big white paint because the threat from US forces (both in the air and on the ground) was worse than the remaining German forces.

Just like today where the yanks blow stuff up before they bother to find out if they should in fact be shooting at it.