Any Thick Woods Added?

Lanzfeld

Show me a WWII tank driver that likes to hit trees and I'll show you a tank that is immobile in about 5 minutes. Trees do indeed stop tanks. Sure looks good in a propaganda film to run over a tree but in reality you are looking at throwing a tread at the least

I just don't see any causal mechanism listed? Canadian trucks pushed over trees just for kicks. http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/softskin/images/fat01_1.jpg

Are you suggesting something like the ground around trees is softer and can't bear the pressure, or such? I'd really be curious to know. I'm quite certain that with modern armour there's no problem at all from moderate trees, would like to hear what the problem was 60 years ago.

You are obsessed with destroying trees!!!! lol

People are merely pointing out that its not impossible but not common practice for tank commanders to drive directly through woods or forest.

Yes it looks impressive...and demonstrates the power & weight of these chariots of war, but why risk being immobilised in a dense mature forest for the sake of pushing trees over?

I think you are getting hung up on the idea...common sense is not prevailing.

If you want documented evidence of the policy of NOT driving tanks through dense forest I can only think of the forest of the Ardennes. There knowing the restrictions on movement, German engineers blasted paths through the forest...I am not saying some tanks didn't help with the odd stubborn tree, but in practice Armour columns consider forests as an obstacle, and definitely not a chance to have fun!!!

[ March 21, 2007, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: theBrit ]

By the way - in russian version you can cut any tree even with a Opel Blitz LKW.

So if you hate trees you can drive around and cut any tree to get better sight etc.

I dont like that idea in MP, where players cut all the trees, its like cheating the LOS system.

@ Moon - maybe you guys can fix that ?

Before

Fk6Bd9Ix.jpg

After

BEDn3qxM.jpg

[ March 21, 2007, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Marc Anton ]

How trees affect los? Is hiding behind hills the only safe tactic to conceal your forces and mask your approaches to the enemy?

It will be a let down if patches of trees cant block LOS. They were such an interesting terrain element in CM. This type of individual tree LOs will make battles chaotic with AT and MGs shooting you from nowhere and everywhere.

[ March 21, 2007, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]

Originally posted by Marc Anton:

[QB] By the way - in russian version you can cut any tree even with a Opel Blitz LKW.

So if you hate trees you can drive around and cut any tree to get better sight etc.

I dont like that idea in MP, where players cut all the trees, its like cheating the LOS system.

@ Moon - maybe you guys can fix that ?

BOOOOOOOOO cutting trees! Shouldn't be allowed!

Originally posted by Moon:

Dense forests, just like dense urban terrain, require not only the hardware to run on, but also require a lot of additional effort (soldier animations, AI logic, line of sight calcs etc). In order to do it right, you need a game which is highly specialized for that environment. Trying to get TOW to do it would delay the project for another year or two at least.

Martin

I guess hedgerows fall in the same category, i.e. a lot additional effort would be required to get them into the game; because I have yet to see anything that looks like a hedgerow in any of the screenshots that are supposed to be Normandy.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Can the tree rendering be switched off (as in CM, CC, ...)?

Or maybe a only the tree trunk be displayed?

Best regards,

Thomm

Oh please....what next toggle the terrain flat!!! lol

Keep the tree's the more varied the terrain the better.

Tree display (as opposed to tree representation in LOS and cover calculations) is only eye candy.

In CM, I toggle 'extreme' tree density to have a nice landscape view at the beginning of the scenario, but then switch the trees of for good, because they are simply annoying when it comes to identify troops, plot paths, etc.

As long as there is any indication of their presence, as, e.g., the shadow on the ground, there is no gameplay reason to actually display the tree crown.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

there is no gameplay reason to actually display the tree crown.

Best regards,

Thomm

Apart from immersion of course, why not toggle off units too and just have coloured blocks? :rolleyes:;)

You sound like a wargamer in its purest form. :D

Originally posted by theBrit:

why not toggle off units too and just have coloured blocks? :rolleyes:;)

The irony of this statement is that, because of the tree crowns, most of the time you will only see the floating icons of the units at low angles of view, because the actual models will be hidden by the tree leaves on maps with a moderate amount of trees.

Just look at the screenshots in this thread.

Best regards,

Thomm

Massacre at Seelow

sJ25zW3m.jpg

2 Kings srewed up

wQAiSb5W.jpg

It was the last Mission of the Beta Patched German Campaign and it was a lot of fun.

At the beginning a bit boring but it went better with each mission.

What i miss the most is:

1. more units - especialy infantry

2. support weapons (i never got an MG42 :( )

3. waypoints

4. arty spotter

5. better LOS system

6. more trees

By the way: i saw a lot of maps now and there was no forest or dense trees.

So i hope to add trees and stuff via map editor.

IDUZD5CK.jpg