Any Thick Woods Added?

Lanzfeld

I have been away for a few months and I am glad to hear of some of the great changes added to this game!

One of the things that I wanted was woods that were thick enough to allow infantry only without tanks. You know...like heavy woods in CM that you have to arty or send in a platoon of men to clean out. Was this added or is it not in there? "Open" woods only...that is ..tanks go everywhere? :rolleyes:

Does thick Woods as seen in CM even exist?

My own observations says no, probably not. Trees large enough to make it impossible for a tank to pass typically need so much space on the ground that ample space is provided for a tank to maneuvre past.

Whether you'd WANT to move into a wooded area with a tank is an entirely different thing.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Does thick Woods as seen in CM even exist?

My own observations says no, probably not. Trees large enough to make it impossible for a tank to pass typically need so much space on the ground that ample space is provided for a tank to maneuvre past.

I disagree.

It doesnt take a lot of tree to stop a tank.

And trees, even big ones, can grow rather thick / close to each other.

Of course Im not talking about tulip fields ( ;) ) - but any regular run-of-the-mill mature fir or pine should be sufficient to make a tank not want to pass it. Even if knocked over, the tank will likely immobilize itself on the stump or lose track due to the tension created when passing the leftovers. And woods do not consist of one such tree, but, as the definition goes, several ones, I'ld even chance to say lots of them.

@ Flanker

That is not true.

1. there are no thick woods in TOW

Only single trees without any meaning.

XlRLJPmj.jpg

2. In CM thick woods always stop´s the tanks or other vehicles.

nwjnvewn.jpg

You cant drive through - you cant see trough - and you can hide behind with vehicles or into it with your infantry. (and get a combat benefit !)

All these features are not possible in TOW. (russ. Vers.)

[ March 19, 2007, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Marc Anton ]

I wonder if graphics settings might have anything to to with it? Obviously the more trees you stick out there the more its going to bog down the computer runing it. Take the latest version of Microsoft FLight Simulater (FSX). IF you max out all the settings you can have some very realistic-looking forrest, but not many current-gen computers can run FSX with decent frame rates with those settings.

There are maps with (much) more dense forests that what Marc picked to show. The screen shows in fact one of the more open maps (most have at least several clusters of buildings etc.)

But, just like the game is not focussed on close combat in dense urban terrain, it's also not planned to be a "Hürtgenwald" simulator. Most maps fall in between these two extremes with villages, some trees, some open fields... in other words, the typical terrain you would see the majority of fighting done in the ETO.

Dense forests, just like dense urban terrain, require not only the hardware to run on, but also require a lot of additional effort (soldier animations, AI logic, line of sight calcs etc). In order to do it right, you need a game which is highly specialized for that environment. Trying to get TOW to do it would delay the project for another year or two at least.

Martin

Show me a WWII tank driver that likes to hit trees and I'll show you a tank that is immobile in about 5 minutes. Trees do indeed stop tanks. Sure looks good in a propaganda film to run over a tree but in reality you are looking at throwing a tread at the least.

but also require a lot of additional effort (soldier animations, AI logic, line of sight calcs etc
Ok but i think we dont have any calculations at all ?!

Look these screens from my actual mission.

The AT Gun is blocked by so many trees but is shooting at my tank.

For the player its near impossible to find a place which is not seen by the enemy.

Its like playing Sudden Strike - ift its in range - it starting to shoot ... :(

g2Au9VEp.jpg

VB9dL8cV.jpg

Marc, I cannot comment about the Russian version you're playing. In case you missed it, our international release is different from the Russian version smile.gif Which is incidentally why you're playing the Russian version now while we're still working on ours.

Since one of the key areas we changed are spotting and engagement ranges (including code for weather effects and terrain and how they affect spotting), I am willing to bet that you wouldn't get this kind of LOS in the game we're about to release next month.

Martin