Games To Play, While we Wait For TOW

landwarrior

Well Im having fun with faces of war. Not a bad tactical individual man type game.

I bought company of heroes because it looks so damn cool but its just plain creepy. Its like they took Warhammer 40k and repainted the Orcs as Germans. Same 40K game different window dressing. Such a waste.

I'm also having a great time with FoW, I actually discovered the title by lurking in this forum (it came up in one of the 'similar games' threads).

While the 'vanilla' game is fun but highly unrealistic, it provides amazing opportunities for modding (I am actually addicted to it now...). There is an official map/mission editor (very advanced), and all property files for individual weapons and items are editable. You can add realistic muzzle velocities, ranges and rates of fire, modify weapon accuracy, magazine capacities, ammo types, etc. The engine handles that very well, although some of the default missions become unplayable with realistic engagement ranges.

Even with these modifications, it's not as realistic as ToW is shaping to be. However, it does have a few very strong points. Apart from excellent graphics, it has a very decent physics engine (all buildings are destructible, terrain deformation is supported, high-velocity AP rounds go through thinner walls, etc). Plus, it is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I have seen in terms of the use of cover. Soldiers can hide or kneel behind any type of cover: every wall (also inside buildings), rock, vehicle, wreck (either predefined or placed 'dynamically' when a vehicle is KO'd), even fallen trees and larger pieces of rubble from buidings destroyed during gameplay.

And I have had a very similar impression of CoH, despite all the hype it brings nothing new to the genre.

Originally posted by TymK:

I'm also having a great time with FoW, I actually discovered the title by lurking in this forum (it came up in one of the 'similar games' threads).

While the 'vanilla' game is fun but highly unrealistic, it provides amazing opportunities for modding (I am actually addicted to it now...). There is an official map/mission editor (very advanced), and all property files for individual weapons and items are editable. You can add realistic muzzle velocities, ranges and rates of fire, modify weapon accuracy, magazine capacities, ammo types, etc. The engine handles that very well, although some of the default missions become unplayable with realistic engagement ranges.

Even with these modifications, it's not as realistic as ToW is shaping to be. However, it does have a few very strong points. Apart from excellent graphics, it has a very decent physics engine (all buildings are destructible, terrain deformation is supported, high-velocity AP rounds go through thinner walls, etc). Plus, it is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I have seen in terms of the use of cover. Soldiers can hide or kneel behind any type of cover: every wall (also inside buildings), rock, vehicle, wreck (either predefined or placed 'dynamically' when a vehicle is KO'd), even fallen trees and larger pieces of rubble from buidings destroyed during gameplay.

And I have had a very similar impression of CoH, despite all the hype it brings nothing new to the genre.

I guess you havent played heros of world war II.Same game engine same people.1st generation.

web page Heros of World War II

Games to play while waiting?!

Try Fire Fight by Sean Conner:

Fire Fight Web Page (3.5MB demo)

I downloaded and played it yesterday and I am very impressed with the gameplay. Although the graphics are retro (and crying for a modder) it surpasses even Close Combat in some aspects (tank behavior, e.g.). Very cool!

Definitely a game that WW2 gamers should have at least tried out once!

Best regards,

Thomm

Still playing HOI2

only strategic with divisions but it is still a good game .

But i hope i can stop this one this month to play tow.

but i think iam still playing hoi2 after the summer. (maybe going for a look for the russian version of tow with the updates)

Originally posted by Markus86:

no the camera in ToW is fine, at last for me, I can handle it without any problems.

Does it still rotate in place, around its own axes, like seen on the videos? If yes, then it sucks, just like the one in EYSA. I want an orbiting camera like in Google Earth.
The only sad thing is, zooming out = loosing all the nice visual details shown in the screenshots.
Well I spend 90% of the time in a zoomed out, top down view when playing a stategy game like CM. This is the most important perspective. However I have not seen many screens showing how it looks, and if its playable, units visible/highlighted etc.

mmhhH. what about playing Panzer General...

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/panzer-general.php

or UFO : enemy unknown...

http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/ufo-enemy-unknown.php

Those games were great...

Currently i'm playing with Alfresco 2.0 ( http://www.alfresco.org ) and Documentum 5.3 SP4 ...but they are not so fun ! :D

More seriously, i'm having fun with W40K : dark crusade.

PS:

My visa card becomes very impatient to be used on your site... ;)