Demo delayed because of beta-tester hack? is this true?

Patrocles

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Also, you guys are waiting for ToW to be released by us because it's not yet ready to be published. From our point of view, it's not delayed at all. We will release it once we have finished the work we set out to do.

(...)

We realize that ToW has had a long, and to many, painful development cycle, but its in our hands now, and we need time to make it as best as we can. Thats all there is to it.

Please - please - take all the time you want, to truly make it as best as you can. If it takes another year, so be it.

I'm serious.

Dont listen to the small but vociferous ADD crowd that just comes with announcing an RTS game.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Ah - cool contest! I thought he meant the front page of the review site or somefink.

No, the contest is definitely not cool.

First of all, this weeks riddle is impossible to solve - or very easy:

the shown vehicle does not exist, did never exist.

Although it is strongly suggestive to a certain well-known tank type, that tank in reality unless I am totally mistaken had 32 track links while the one in the quiz picture has 36.

I am not kidding.

Secondly,

the whole idea doesnt seem like a good one to me.

Both in CC and CM, historical names were chosen. For CMBO, IIRC, Fionn took upon himself the task or at least helped to find authentic names.

In CC, too, someone had dedicated himself to finding authentic names for each nationality.

Both games generally did rather well with that approach.

Now, this approach...

At the completion of the contest, we will draw a number of winners from the pool of correct replies (multiple entries increase your chances of winning!), and the winner(s) will have their names added to the unit database used in the game. This means that there could be a soldier running around in the game with YOUR name on it, e.g. Sgt. Ima Winner, as part of the US forces
...gives rise to some concern.

First, it is unclear if real person names are used, or their nicks.

In the latter case, let me emphasize I would really NOT like to have a soldier by the name of "Ima Winner" or "1SSLeibhasenschartenfurher", or "SS_KillaSnipah" or whatever the RTS kids come up with.

But even in the former case, if real names are put into the game, I would at least suggest to not per se put them into the US name pool, but in the respective according name pool, I would not want to have a Russian or French name in the US forces, but much rather in the respective pool of USSR or French names.

And this still leaves us with names such as Jim Kawashikabane or similar. Leaving all 21st century p.c. - sh*t aside, they just dont fit into WW II unless you have japanese forces. It'ld be not only odd but cynical to see asian / asianamerican names used by US forces in the game when one knows full well how these folks were in reality interned for their only crime of being of asian descent.

All in all, a very bad idea, IMO.

That is, a bad idea if you're going for a realistic WW II atmosphere for ToW; it's less of a problem for a pure RTS game just happening to use WW II toys / be set in WW II.

yours sincerely,

M.H.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

MeatEtr,

Reminder that both of your images violate the Forum's naughty words policy (come to think of it, Mr. Madmatt boobooed too). Kindly edit the images or remove them. I could do that myself, but better if you do it.

Steve

No problem at all, done. ;)

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Nice job of getting the BFC team to come out of hiding though!

:D

Yeah I agree, kudos to the thread starter, nicely done. smile.gif

I wonder if the infantry team sizes and number will be 'customizable', moddable or even adjustable.

It's an enjoyable and sometimes necessary extra to be able to modulate some of this stuff where the developers have adopted 'gamey' data or maybe tried to keep within some system specification by limiting on screen activity.

Conversely, sometimes the single player needs to give the AI an edge that would give the grognard absolutists a seizure.

So, I trust that Battlefront will use authentic weapons data but if I want a ten-man sniper squad that's my funeral! smile.gif

Btw, I'd love to be in the 'names' file but my initials are none too PC so that's out!

Hof are you still looking to get cheaps shots in that this is an RTS game ;)

Hof qoutes

------------------------------

Dont listen to the small but vociferous ADD crowd that just comes with announcing an RTS game.

:rolleyes:

Hof again

Although it is strongly suggestive to a certain well-known tank type, that tank in reality unless I am totally mistaken had 32 track links while the one in the quiz picture has 36.

-----------------------------

Well if your not sure find out before posting ...

or back it up. Hell you might be right but some proof plz or dont bother.

Hof yet again

Hof quotes

-------------------------------

In the latter case, let me emphasize I would really NOT like to have a soldier by the name of "Ima Winner" or "1SSLeibhasenschartenfurher", or "SS_KillaSnipah" or whatever the RTS kids come up with.

-------------------------------

:rolleyes: Geez another cheapshot at rts players. CM players would never come up with silly names ;)

Oh hof i feel sorry for you

hof quotes

------------------------------------

That is, a bad idea if you're going for a realistic WW II atmosphere for ToW; it's less of a problem for a pure RTS game just happening to use WW II toys / be set in WW II.

------------------------------------

Well i guess your true colours are showing hey?

When we all hoped the debate between RTS and TB was over, Hof comes in and tries to open the wounds. Hopefully this will not spawn another CM vs CC vs TOW debate.

Hof its a game ... its basically designed to entertain not just you but other gamers that might have similar opinions to you or differ greatly.

When all is considered the proof will be in the gameplay. If you DONT like RTS games then why bother us with your constant childish cheap shots at the developers.

Hof i have a challenge for you. I want you to write a post that is positive about the game which includes the same enthusiam and care that you show in tearing it down.

----------------------------------------------

"I criticize by creation - not by finding fault."

- Cicero (106-43 B.C.)

[ October 19, 2006, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Sammy_Davis_Jnr ]

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

yours sincerely,

M.H.

That vehicle existed (Renault F-17) and it was used in several battles. If you need books or links to show that you are mistaken please ask me. Cheers.

To MeatEtr

What should i let go of?...certain people wanting to discredit the game at every opportunity?

or

Certain people taking cheapshots at RTS players?

Is that ok to respond to MeatEtr?

Maybe you should have posted the same message to Hof.

Iam just sticking up for the people who play RTS games and the poor light Hof painted them basically as people with less intelligence.

Note: Can you imagine the response if i portrayed the CM crowd or turn base players as less intelligent.

Would you send the same message MeatEtr that you sent me to those people who objected?

----------------------

Yours sincerely

Sammy

Hof,

Way off the mark. 110,000 were interned, most from the West Coast. While disgraceful, it is far from every Asian heritage person living in the US in 1941. Many MANY Japanese descendants served in the Army, mainly serving in Europe. Look up the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, one of the most decorated units in WWII. Served in France. The unit earned 18,000 total awards including 9,500 Purple Hearts, 52 Distinguished Service Crosses, Seven Distinguished Unit Citations, and one Congressional Medal of Honor (Crost, Honor by Fire. 179).

Oh, of the 100,000 50,000 were Japanese citizens without US citizenship. It took our government way too long to apologize, but you infer that everyone was interned.

Rune

I love these inflammatory threads. When the professorial Hof' starts enumerating tank track links I feel like a moron. A picture of a cows ar*e is very reassuring at times like these/those/this (determiner of your choice).

Then we get a veering off into dietary morality... . Don't change, don't ever change.. . smile.gif

[ October 19, 2006, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Vegeorite ]

Lets get back to the basic meaning of this thread, ok its clear now that the delay is not because the game was hacked or anything like that, clear.

But.....why does the russian version come out this friday (without any demo, cheers to russia).

It is unnaturally that a game first appears in russia because the market their isnt that big as in europe or in the united states.

And lets turn the wheel a little back, so release in russia this friday, right. Means their version has gone gold about 4 weeks ago. wich means during that 4 weeks bf had time to translate the russian version into an english one, right?

Well and another aspect is that bf anounced the demo late august, early september with a hint that the demo is 99% ready only translations had to be done. I know russian isnt verry easy but their are enough translaters out their who can this do quicker than in 4 weeks time. Ok when you use less paid students to do that it could take time thats right.

The last news on this page is a result from the 14th of september wich is over a month ago. On the russian site their are several news updates during sept. and oct. why not here as well?

The truth of delay and newsless time must be some other point wich battlefront is not willing to tell in case of salesmentship. Maybe a lot of customers could get dissapointed more and more as they are after waiting 3 years.

In othter case their might be a group of players who doesnt care about the language and get themself a russian version, even better than nothing!!! And waiting for something that might come or not.

Another part is the release only as a digital download that seems more and more popular for low budget games. It saves a lot of production cost u dont have to ship any cd/dvds manuals have not to be printed can be send as an readme file (adobe acrobat reader).

All this togeter seems to be verry unpleasent for a game release, and in total i doubt it that this game will be sold over 500.000 copies. I bet the sallery will be somthing like 100-150.000 copies not more world wide. And the thing is that depends only on a worse marketing strategy from battlefront.

My next door butcher makes more advertisement for his sausages than you guys for your "high end product" to sell world wide.

It looks like you work on that projekt for fun and not to earn money with it. Bad salesmen!

Maybe the extra delay is explained by the expectations of Battlefront's customer base.

Thankfully, this company appeals to serious and reasonably serious wargamers rather than 'flashbangers' (good name for a high profile butcher's shop).

As Hofbauer says, delay in this context is a good thing.

Originally posted by Kartboy6:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

yours sincerely,

M.H.

That vehicle existed (Renault F-17) and it was used in several battles. If you need books or links to show that you are mistaken please ask me. Cheers. </font>

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Secondly,

the whole idea doesnt seem like a good one to me.

Both in CC and CM, historical names were chosen. For CMBO, IIRC, Fionn took upon himself the task or at least helped to find authentic names.

In CC, too, someone had dedicated himself to finding authentic names for each nationality.

Both games generally did rather well with that approach.

Now, this approach...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />At the completion of the contest, we will draw a number of winners from the pool of correct replies (multiple entries increase your chances of winning!), and the winner(s) will have their names added to the unit database used in the game. This means that there could be a soldier running around in the game with YOUR name on it, e.g. Sgt. Ima Winner, as part of the US forces

...gives rise to some concern.

First, it is unclear if real person names are used, or their nicks.</font>

Originally posted by Sammy_Davis_Jnr:

To MeatEtr

What should i let go of?...certain people wanting to discredit the game at every opportunity?

or

Certain people taking cheapshots at RTS players?

Is that ok to respond to MeatEtr?

Maybe you should have posted the same message to Hof.

Iam just sticking up for the people who play RTS games and the poor light Hof painted them basically as people with less intelligence.

Note: Can you imagine the response if i portrayed the CM crowd or turn base players as less intelligent.

Would you send the same message MeatEtr that you sent me to those people who objected?

----------------------

Yours sincerely

Sammy

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm..... are you aware that Markus is one of the 'biggie' names in the CC universe? That his name is featured in the credits of various "RTS" games including CC? Yeah....one could argue whether or not CC and the other "RTS" games are real time or continous time but either way I can assure you he doesn't hate "people who play RTS games" let alone "paint them basically as people with less intelligence."

Now Sammy, I have a challenge for you: Do some research about an individual before attempting portray them as something they are not.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Incidentally, isn't your name one in the German pool in CM:BO?

Not that I'd want to brag or anything, but you can find surnames of my both veteran grandfathers coded into CMBB.

:cool: </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Incidentally, isn't your name one in the German pool in CM:BO?

Not that I'd want to brag or anything, but you can find surnames of my both veteran grandfathers coded into CMBB.

:cool: </font>