2 new videos from Russian website

traemyn

The still pictures just don't do the game justice. The tanks exhaust output, the rocking back when firing, crew members climbing in through hatches, those create an awesome atmosphere. It would be nice to see more of the infantry, but I don't think that will be resolved until we see the demo.

As an aside, the videos use DivX, and I could only play them through the DivX player.

"so many tanks"

I was reading the book "The Tank Killers" by Yeide on the subway this morning. The section on the Kasserine Pass battles described something like 40 German tanks approaching from one direction, with more tanks with accompanying infantry approaching from another. Sure sounds like lots of tanks to me, and infantry wasn't even bothering to keep up with some of them! On another one of these boards someone posted the statistic that something over 90,000 Russian tanks were lost in WWII. You can't be complaining that the game might dare to use more than five of them at the same time in a scenario! :D

Your all just jealous since you don't have the hair to do this. :D

Ball_Headbangers2.jpg

P.S. Can't play the videos either, plays the first few seconds and stops. But the music keeps going. Is there new Divx codecs? Or do they need to be played through the Divx player?

There is a new codec, 6.4 released early october. Anybody else have problems playing the videos, you can download new DivX codec here. Just uncheck all the other stuff besides the codec option and you should be good to go.

The actual videos are pretty decent, better than nothing anyway. At least something to tide us over until the demo release.

Great looking videos!

Certainly a big step ahead from the WW2 RTS games that I am aware of. I liked the way those tanks were pounded and kept moving!

I am still very curious about the behaviour of infantry, like most others here.

I second Lanzfeld's comment on tank acceleration! They feel too light in the way they jump-start in the videos. Also, in one scene the target acquisition and turret rotation was seemingly too fast!

Waiting for more ...

Best regards,

Thomm

The trees that are knocked down should not just vanish
Well that was pretty much name of the game in 2001.(apart from ofp which was years ahead of others)

Physics engine wasnt used to changing enviroment. Back then Futuremark's car demo game used havok and not pre-planned animations, telling what the future will be.

[ October 18, 2006, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: TuuSaR ]

yeah, agree with the McClaren like acceleration that the tanks show, but if the models were based on real world stats then I'd be happy for my impression to be proven wrong.

But, be jeezus, the clods being chucked up by the tracks, as they race along through the long grass...

droool

The instant acceleration is no worse the the instant stopping in the CM series
But is this a fair comparison? Movement in CM was at the mercy of its 1 minute incremented turns. Since ToW is in RT it shouldn't have this problem.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if a tank at full speed stops instantly or skids if during a pause you order it to halt.

(Er you can give orders while the game is in pause, right?)