Name personalization?

Darren J Pierson

From what I have seen, you can actually name individual troops and crewmen if you edit the mission files. Normally though, the names are randomly generated from a list of common first and last names based on nationality.

Madmatt

The names in CM were taken from phone books and real period documents of the nations represented, so if they are a bad joke, then your the only one that seems to think so.

As to adding more names, that looks like a possibility yes, although each nation already has far more than would ever be needed it seems.

Madmatt

Instad of choosing extremely rare names out of telephonebooks, which leads with the randomness in the game to a strong underrepresentation of usual names, i'd find it better to use the most common german names (same for other nations). Here are the most common 100 german names:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_h%C3%A4ufigsten_deutschen_Familiennamen

I can't see a problem here. In a current game I'm playing I have a Meier, Krüger, Hartmann, Peter, Berger and Schultz next to a von Steuben, Wittmann and others. Ah, and a Unt Orosz and a Lt.Hardenberger... ;)

From probably 50 names in the battle there are not more than a handful of names I'd call "extremely rare". And I actually prefer NOT having a dozen Meiers and Müllers in my Kampfgruppe...

A total non-issue IMO.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Anglen, Anhalt, Belin, Blauvelt, Bögenschutz, Bott, Braunstein, Cränen, Dank, Edelstein, Eichhorn, Essen, Euling, Feldmann, Fell, Freitag, Gaschler, Gelband, Gres, Greup, Grow, Hamblen, Handschein,...

So, these are your "bad joke names"? Well, I guess we just have to disagree here then, I actually don't think any of those names is so totally out of place.

Except Gaschler of course. Nobody could possibly have such a silly name...

:D

[ July 29, 2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Greup is fondly remembered as the 6+1 Oberst from the original Squad Leader; I love seeing his name crop up from time to time.

I'd love actually for the random list to be editable rather than the mission files so that we could have the same groovy names all the time. The game seems to take on a different dimension with familiar last names cropping up.

I wonder how many, if any, of those names were requested into CM the first time by forum members? Or from ASL as was pointed out? As I'm not German except by descent I have no clue about these names. Even if they aren't in the 100 most common names are they that unusual? For today or WWII? or if I was culturally German would I be rolling my eyes? As far as I can tell the current German polling is 1-1. smile.gif

I mentioned it in another thread, but it would not be that hard to enable name change from in game...(you could rename teams in cc4,cc5) then you could name anyone anything you like, which would just add another "little thing" to help set TOW apart.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Greup is fondly remembered as the 6+1 Oberst from the original Squad Leader; I love seeing his name crop up from time to time.

No, Obr. Greup was the 10-3 superhero. The 6+1 was Col. Rosenberger.

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

No, Obr. Greup was the 10-3 superhero. The 6+1 was Col. Rosenberger. </font>

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

No, Obr. Greup was the 10-3 superhero. The 6+1 was Col. Rosenberger. </font>