Sea Cliffs and Volcanic Deposits Revisited

This has been brought up before without any definintive results, so I'll try to be more specific.

On Sea Cliffs and Volcanic Deposits, while caching the textures, I go from happy load scene to this:

Picture1.png

BEHOLD THE PIXELS OF MY DOOM.

OS X

1.33ghz G4.

ATI Radeon 9550

1 GB RAM

I blame the crappy video card.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

I blame it, too, but let's see if we can work around it.

Have you turned off the setting called "Terrain VBO"?

That seemed to work. Still a wee slow, but maybe I can bring myself out of poverty and purchase something decent in the near future.

Gracias, seƱor!

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Wait!..that is what bots see. And bots nearly see everything and can shoot very accurately, so maybe it the human behind the computer that is the limitation....

I have long ago accepted that my neurons are inferior. Woe is my primitive mammalian brian.

• 2 months later...

I know a lot of people (myself included) have had problems with Sea Cliffs before. I've never crashed, but it plays VERY slowly for me.

But yes, I believe it's because it's one of the larger maps for DT, and so it's more video-memory intensive.

Awesome map, just very processor intensive tongue.gif

Sea Cliffs and Volcanic Deposits have four times more vertices for the landscape than the "normal" DT levels. To compound that, the vertices are also closer together, so you can see roughly twice as many vertices as well. Now the Demeter engine doesn't show you all those polygons (thankfully) but it does impose a heavier burden on the graphics card.

My apologies if this is rather off topic, but while we're discussing video cards, is the video card what Hi-Def Rendering relies on? And if so, is the effect really worth updating the card (which I've been thinking about a while?) Thanks for any help.

HDR effects in DT make the bright sky box areas bleed over the landscape/objects/trees. Think of it as a more realistic form of light bloom.

HDR won't radically alter the way DT plays. Having a better frame rate might. I play on an NVidia GeForce 6800GT which works nicely, although the card cost me about half the total value of the system when I put it together. Still, this card even today retails for over $350 so it's still not cheap, despite having been around for 30 months or so.