Ability to shoot round corners

mav1

Its something you can't do at the moment. Hide behind a wall, building or hedge, then the soldier pops his head round the corner and fires hes gun then hides behind the coner again. You can't do this because you wouldn't have los round the corner at the moment. You have to move the soldier round the coner into the open, then fire.

At the momennt it is abstracted remember (and always will be to a degree likely). Remember you aren't controlling the indiviual placement of soldiers, you are placing squads. So saying "You have to move the soldier round the coner into the open, then fire" doesn't make sense. Think of it like you can order the squad to take cover, or you can order them to engage an enemy. But you can't tell 8 guys to take cover, and one guy to fire.

In an abstracted sense this does happen with additional cover from buildings. A soldier pops out, fires out a window, and then hides again. That is noted by the increased cover the soldier has from the building.

Someone with more combat experience then me (cause all I am going off is paintball) can probably answer this better, but popping around corners seems like a good way to get shot. Each time you hide you lose sight of the target and they can move and know where you will pop out of.

It is like sticking a gun around a corner to fire. Looks good in movies but my assumption is that it isn't very realitistic.

But as for indiviual soldiers using corners better, with 1 to 1 representation who knows. Though I doubt it will be anything you as commander will be ordering.

Didn't BFC mention in their last bone about mapping the board on 8x8 squares (I forget his term for them) that should have an influence on the individual actions of your soldiers in a team? It seemed to say if one guy in your team is projecting out from the corner of a building he's likely to be on a separate 8x8 square from the others and will respond accordingly.

Maybe i didn't fully digest that last bone. Best to hunt down the original for the real deal.

[Edited] Look on the "Spotting, LOS, and LOF explanation" thread, the 8x8 squares are called "Action Spots".

[ August 16, 2006, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]