Foolproof scheme for unit pricing

In the "cant buy troops???" thread the issue was raised of how to price units if unit purchasing was reintroduced. I propose making unit pricing proportional to the real world cost in dollars of the weapon systems.

So for instance a javelin CLU and missile cost something like 130,000 dollars, while an rpg with a load out of 4 rockets costs about 1700, so a javelin would cost say 1300 points and an rpg about 17.

For infanty squads, pricing would be based on the equipment, rifle, grenades, night vision, body armor etc. of the troops. So for instance a Syrian

uncon with nothing but a $250 dollar AK would cost 2.5 points and an American soldier with $10,000 dollars or whatever of equipment would cost 100.

I'm not sure how this would play out, but you would also need to adjust for training costs of units. Then you might want to amortize for life insurance policies. :=) Things might get interested when your loan US 11B PV2 Joe is up against a syrian tank company.

Originally posted by astreetcarnamedkill:

I propose making unit pricing proportional to the real world cost in dollars of the weapon systems.

For the sake of completeness, I have to add that I suggested that already:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002039;p=2

Well, just take the real world price (perhaps weightened by economic performance of the respective side) and be done with it!
Your RPG/Javelin example appears to work quite well.

Best regards,

Thomm

As much as I'd like to see a points system in this release of CMx2, it's been said quite clearly that they will not add it. Not worth continuing to push the idea, it's not going to happen. Let them deal with the urgent issues such as pathfinding, A.I, interface and bugs, then get working on the modules.

If anything, we need to persuade Steve and Co. to bring back the points system for the WWII releases. They already have a good points system in place from CMx1, so it will be just a matter of implementing it into the new game.

Unit selection is critical for QBs. Especially when the way the computer selects units for you now is FUBAR. They don't have to do it with points though, but a preset Force Pool to choose units from would do a lot to the (re)playability of the QBs while keeping in line with the realistic TO&E and intact C2 policy.

Problem with going by cost is, amongst others, this: You give me Javelin armed squad, and I can easily wack two if not three T-72s. So you need to make Javelins more expensive, or make T-72s significantly less expensive. Result: you'd get less Javelins then even vaguely realistic, or whole squadrons of T-72s in even the smallest QB.

Every piece of kit has to make some sense costwise related to all other equipment out there, without ending up with bull**** values. If you can do this, by all means make a list for BFC.

*holds breath*

Since all games boil down to simple mathmatics, couldn't someone just create an equation and plug in the numbers for each unit then have it spit out the relative cost?. I realize this isn't very specific and I may come off a bit daft by saying it this way but it seems rather simple to me. Then again, I'm sure plenty of folks will point out the flaws in my thinking here.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Problem with going by cost is, amongst others, this: You give me Javelin armed squad, and I can easily wack two if not three T-72s.

And in another situation those T-72s could decimate your entire platoon armed with Javelins. The game is about tactics.