New E3 Videos

Originally posted by panzermartin:

I noticed that too. I think fire is not on par with the rest of the graphics imo.

It's allot better than it was in the earlier shots where the ancient non-licensed brand fire effect was used. Also the fire smoke is turned off in the vid. As for the ATGM and the RPG through the balcony, remember this is not some super pretty DX10 graphics spectacular, the core of the game is in the coding and realism. All the pretty models are there as a bonus and that units can actually stand on balconies or at windows is a huge leap forward.

Heads up here's a new vid that I haven't seen I found on youtube featuring a javelin launch:

[ July 11, 2007, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Flanker15 ]

Originally posted by Flanker15:

As for the ATGM and the RPG through the balcony, remember this is not some super pretty DX10 graphics spectacular, the core of the game is in the coding and realism.

As a gamer, anything better looking than the standard NATO map symbol is a bonus. But as far as the Bradley's missile launcher, that it should be stowed while moving is a legitimate concern. In order for a moving Bradley to engage a missile target, the vehicle must stop on level ground and then erect the launcher. This takes a relatively considerable amount of time, and may very well effect engagement times and opportunities. And it is something that should be modelled if the game aspires to be realistic.

Originally posted by jjhouston:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flanker15:

As for the ATGM and the RPG through the balcony, remember this is not some super pretty DX10 graphics spectacular, the core of the game is in the coding and realism.

As a gamer, anything better looking than the standard NATO map symbol is a bonus. But as far as the Bradley's missile launcher, that it should be stowed while moving is a legitimate concern. In order for a moving Bradley to engage a missile target, the vehicle must stop on level ground and then erect the launcher. This takes a relatively considerable amount of time, and may very well effect engagement times and opportunities. And it is something that should be modelled if the game aspires to be realistic. </font>

I have to notice that the rockets doesn't cause any damage to the building (as it seems). I guess they should make some holes into them!? Well, even if that ain't true for relativ small rockets, I also remember the artillery video, where a building after a hit collapsed perfectly.

Seems that we have no realistic damage model for buildings; still using 'ok', 'damaged light', 'damaged heavy' and 'kaputt/rubble'? That's very disappointing for me as a fan of city combat.

A really good building damage model = game out in mid 2009, I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG. Bleep&&*&%*&%, I can't wait until the 27th. Besides, a really good building damage model would choke your computer all by itself. It would require massive calculations every-time anything bigger than a 7.62 passed through.

Yes, I could see a damage model like in X-COM: UFO Defense, where a tile of wall vanished after it took enough damage, could be added without much processing power needed. Maybe a little prettier version of it even. smile.gif

Have any of you played Silent Storm? What a SWEET damage modelling it had! That would be too heavy for CMSF though. :(

Originally posted by Scipio:

Who is talking about 'a really good building model'? I just have to notice that there's no advance since CMx1; indeed I do have expected more than NO advance regarding the building damage model.

Hi Scipio. Buildings can be destroyed wall by wall, floor by floor. As such, depending on the way the building was constructed, it is possible to see a building with a hole blown in the walls on the second and 4th floors, the roof on one half collapsed in whilst the other have of the building has collapsed down to the 3rd floor, that sort of thing. Damage decals is something we definately want to do, showing increasing damage to each wall of the buildings structure, but it hasnt made it in just yet. This is just visual though, the damage is tracked.

Dan

The Javelin in-game footage video is awesome! Best video footage so far IMHO.

On the graphical issues regarding building damage from missiles and troops firing through walls, I have to differ with the poster who said this was too much work to fix. I don't think it would be that hard to place some sort of rocket blast decal on a wall texture during play. As for making a missile soldier stand up just before firing, how is that difficult? However, I am happy to get the game now and maybe CM:SF will address minor complaints like this in future patches. Even if they don't I'm sure the game will still be great.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

Who is talking about 'a really good building model'? I just have to notice that there's no advance since CMx1; indeed I do have expected more than NO advance regarding the building damage model.

Hi Scipio. Buildings can be destroyed wall by wall, floor by floor. As such, depending on the way the building was constructed, it is possible to see a building with a hole blown in the walls on the second and 4th floors, the roof on one half collapsed in whilst the other have of the building has collapsed down to the 3rd floor, that sort of thing. Damage decals is something we definately want to do, showing increasing damage to each wall of the buildings structure, but it hasnt made it in just yet. This is just visual though, the damage is tracked.

Dan </font>