Can never have enough Stryker MGS reference photos

...of the latest limited production version . Note the left side 'cutout' behind the driver's station that contained what looked like an air intake is now missing. No hint on how the thing eventually gets up-armored:

MGSViews.jpg

[ March 09, 2006, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

MikeyD, They display for you because the images are cached on your local machine. So when your browser wants to display this page it will first check to see if its been updated (new pics and such) if not then it will get the pics from your computers browsers cache.

That is why they display for you and not for us.

I just dumped my cache, came back and I can STILL see those linked pictures! I guess I'm just special. Proof, if proof were needed, that once a guy passes 50 he's simply no longer clever enough for this internet stuff :rolleyes:

The important thing is the picts were just emailed to Dan (KwazyDog). If y'all can't see the linked shots now, they may at least be able to influence the 3-D polygons in the final game.

EDITED - Took awhile but I finally lost the link to the pictures as well. I think the hosting server's down for maintenance. When they come back up so will the pictures, hopefully with better luck this time.

[ March 08, 2006, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Wow, about that .50 cal. Look how high its mounted. The poor commander would have to climb 3/4 out of the hatch to reach it!

I guess that's so the mg can swing over the cannon and fire to the left-hand side. I can imagine commanders soon learning to traverse the turret side-to to the enemy just so he'd be firing over the cannon and have some protection to his torso.

It might be on the final but what we've got here is a Browning on an old fashioned flexible mount.

Hey, i just thought. Maybe - just maybe - that mg arm telescopes! Can be raised to have a clear view over the gun but otherwise would sit usual chest height. One of those details we'll need more info on.

Its a crewed 2 man turret with autoload overhead gun. Commander on the right, gunner on the left, both in the turret basket. In the original 1980s commercial design the turret body didn't extend above the turret ring. The revise version for Stryker you can see the hull's been lowered and the 'turret' body increased by... a foot and a half?

Hee's another attempt to attach a picture (from U.S. News so don't know how long it'll stay up).

Abrams in Baghdad yesterday.

I'm trying to figure out just what happpened. The most obvious -a big explosion against a moving Abrams, enough to break the track, though I wonder how you'd get the track to spool off the top of the rear sprocket like that. Set external stowage on fire. What would catch fire internally? Smoke coming out of the commander's hatch but not from the engine compartment. The turret bustle blow-off panels on the roof are intact so it shouldn't be ammo cook-off. Ah, I just thought, the Abrams fuel tanks are on either side of the driver up front. That might be what we're looking at. Nasty business.

capt.bag10203101055.iraq_bag102.jpg

The track, I'd guess, would have been broken while the vehicle was moving. The driver stopped the sproket (cut the engine, or whatever) but the tank kept rolling. possibly this explains the tank having slewed off the road to the left.

The fire could be ruptured POL-stuff from the bustle rack/APU or ruptured fuel tanks, which have subsequently set the rubber rims of the road wheels on fire, hence the thick black smoke. I would have expected fuel in the forward hull to be better protected than that though.

Not sure about the white smoke from the turret. Possibly some of the soft furnishings caught.

[Edit: The tank would slew to the left, despite having lost its right track as there would only be braking force from the intact track, possibly slackened off to avoid falling off the road altogether.]

Another photo. Vehicle 03 (taken in Yuma PG in 2004?) fires the new M393A3 105mm HEP-T (high explosiver plasic-tracer) round. This round replaces the old M393A2 round fielded way back in 1962, which I guess was out of the inventory due to age/safety concerns.

105%20mm%201%20-%20MGS%2002%20v03.jpg

I just had a thought. All these photos of MGS firing its main gun with apparently little movement. I wonder how may shots were of the gun firing APFSDS. Usually a HE shell would have 1/2 to 2/3rds the charge of a full-up AP round. If a full AP charge is approaching the vehicle's safety limits then tank fighting with MGS would only be an extreme 'wost case scenario' type of situation. just thinking out loud tongue.gif

[ March 16, 2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]