Is the CMSF forum the new political opinion forum?

First off, I am very much so lookingforward to CM:SF. Previous to the announcement for CM:SF, I had no interest in modern warfare as a game, but I have enough interest in CM that I have found interest in modern warfare. Hats off to the BFC team, you once again have me just as excited as you did way back at the release for CM:BO.

However, I pretty much stay out of this forum now. I assume its because this game mirrors current events which bring out, well, special emotions in people, but this CM:SF has become a breeding ground for political arguments. Its no better than the disaster that was the political opinions forum.

Every single thread I read in here, outside of Peng, but I just dont go there, almost immediately falls into a political debate. Want to know if you can mod 'mercs' into the game? No no no, thats not what you wanted to know, you wanted to listen to two pages of arguments about Blackwater and how evil Americans are.

My biggest fear is that after release, on my birthday no less smile.gif , its only going to get worse. Back in the wonderful days of CM:BO, BB, and AK we had a troll or two and we would all just laugh at them and move on with reading Jason's 3 page explanation of different spoons used in the field by the UK. But now I fear that evertime I come here to enjoy the company of mature adults who never grew up, I will have to wade through countless posts of political muck.

I used to come here to get away from all that. But even this forum has now dropped to the lowest low obtainable by a forum: political brow beating.

Anyways, looks to be a great game BFC. I know theres not much you can do about this at this point. Maybe you should bring back the political forum so all that garbage is out of here and we can just talk about a great game without every thread being drug into political muck.

Chad

Yes, it has been kind of hard discussing tactics and stuff without getting bombarded with political arguments.

But i think when the game gets released, everibody will get better things to discuss.

By now everything has been discussed to death, we are reduced to discuss the color of siryan taxis for god sake. We are desperated and bored, and that leads to political debates.

The wait will be soon over and i will be here in the forums complainyng about how my hummvees are being killed easily by At-14 Kornets and T-72, and debating why the army should swap them for some kind of walking fortress. :D

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Maybe you should bring back the political forum so all that garbage is out of here and we can just talk about a great game without every thread being drug into political muck.

I'm not convinced that would remedy anything. At worst people would only feel even more agitated and bring it forth regardless of forum.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JaguarUSF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

But even this forum has now dropped to the lowest low obtainable by a forum: political brow beating.

That sounds like something a Communist would say. </font>

Honestly, what did you expect? It is a game about US invading Syria, a quite sensitive scenario regarding the current situation and it is normal that people will express their political thoughts too once in a while. Its up to the admins to intervent if something goes out of track. Since LoneSyrian left us there are little to non existent problems imo and most of the discussions are pretty civilized as far as I can tell. I dont think the Merc thread is that anti-US either since it talks about organizations that know no country or beliefs. I'm sorry but waging irrational wars on people can have some side effects on your favourite game too.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Come on Sergei. Youve been around here long enough to see the change too. You had already been around a long time when I showed up years ago smile.gif

If he did write it tongue in cheek, I missed that intent. Six years ago on these forums, I would have laughed and I would have taken that comment as being tongue in cheek. But the way this forum is now, I cant read posts the same way I used too. After reading the CM:SF forum, I feel the same way after reading the political events forum when it was around almost 3 years ago.

Maybe I am just being closeminded by wanting the forum for my favorite game series separated from political arguements, where someone could ask a legitimate question without others derailing the thread into a political argument about Blackwater and the US government. These days, maybe you cant make a modern game of combat in the Middle East without hearing what everyone thinks about what is currently going on in the Middle East.

Seriously Sergei, did you enjoy wading through political arguments (because thats what they really are) to just find out something about the next CM?

Originally posted by panzermartin:

Honestly, what did you expect? It is a game about US invading Syria, a quite sensitive scenario regarding the current situation and it is normal that people will express their political thoughts too once in a while. Its up to the admins to intervent if something goes out of track. Since LoneSyrian left us there are little to non existent problems imo and most of the discussions are pretty civilized as far as I can tell. I dont think the Merc thread is that anti-US either since it talks about organizations that know no country or beliefs. I'm sorry but waging irrational wars on people can have some side effects on your favourite game too.

But thats the problem. At first they did express their feelings every once and awhile, but now it seems that nearly every thread strays away from the game and into political opinions. Maybe I am just reading the wrong threads and need to go to Peng for safety . . . wait. No. Its not that bad yet smile.gif

Dont get me wrong. I am an American, and currently live in America. But I am not foolish enough to think that America's world decisions are well accepted. I know this game mirrors current events in Iraq and there are many people, both in and outside of America, who are not very happy with that current situation and why it started in the first place. That those feelings would extent into this game and its forum is only natural, I just hate reading about it in every thread.

I could care less whether the political arguments are for or against the US. I just hate reading about it here. I hate coming back to the one thread, but the Merc thread is the perfect example. A simple question about the game turned into a debate about current events.

After reading the CM:SF forum, I feel the same way after reading the political events forum when it was around almost 3 years ago.

There never was a political events forum. Just the General Forum.

You're not the real Chad Harrison! You must be a North Korean mutant chameleon spy.

Most of the trouble you're talking about is started by extremists, nationalists, madmen, trolls etc. the number of whom can be counted with one and a half hands fingers. Maybe the moderators would need to be a bit more judgmental with threads that have spun out of course, but as there are thousands of forum dwellers versus a few forum sheriff's, it's a hard job to develop a game and control the children simultaneously.

[ July 22, 2007, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

I could care less whether the political arguments are for or against the US. I just hate reading about it here. I hate coming back to the one thread, but the Merc thread is the perfect example. A simple question about the game turned into a debate about current events.

Hey, patience. Its only five days till release. After that, there will be no political debates. Guns would do all the talking :D

...but the Merc thread is the perfect example. A simple question about the game turned into a debate about current events.

Hi Chad, I believe the Mercenary thread I started has become more about the emergence of a new type of pseudo military class of soldier and where it fit's into today's world then current events, but I understand where your concern is with the forums.

Most of us here are probably Military, ex-Military or at the very least military enthusiasts and not your average "youthful" gamer. CM-SF does mirror to a some degree current events and I feel that as long as discussions are productive, meaningful and debate military/war related issues then that is fine. I certainly do not want to see political rants take over.

Just my thoughts...

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Yes, it has been kind of hard discussing tactics

There's been a thread here about tactics?

Where?

I see plenty of threads on military hardware (those aren't tactics threads), and some on computer hardware, but I'd love to see a discussion on tactics.

Can you point me to one in the last couple of weeks?

We are desperate and bored, and that leads to political debates.
So what if the above is the primary cause of all political debates in the first place? It would at least explain why in my country all politicians seem to behave like three-year olds often enough...

And I won't go into discussing what a government is really for, anyway - because that'd be a philosophical question and I could as well start a new thread here! ;)

Originally posted by Sergei:

You're not the real Chad Harrison! You must be a North Korean mutant chameleon spy.

. . . maybe the moderators would need to be a bit more judgmental with threads that have spun out of course, but as there are thousands of forum dwellers versus a few forum sheriff's, it's a hard job to develop a game and control the children simultaneously.

Ssshhh. Were still working on the chameleon part . . .

The fact that the moderators have something more important to do is why I dont bring it up to them, and I am not asking them to do anything. I would much rather put up with garbage on the forums and have a better game because Steve, Charles, Dan, Martin and Matt have more free time.

Originally posted by PanzerMartin:

Hey, patience. Its only five days till release. After that, there will be no political debates. Guns would do all the talking

So is that a PBEM challenge? smile.gif

Originally posted by Vern_S:

Most of us here are probably Military, ex-Military or at the very least military enthusiasts and not your average "youthful" gamer. CM-SF does mirror to a some degree current events and I feel that as long as discussions are productive, meaningful and debate military/war related issues then that is fine. I certainly do not want to see political rants take over.

A few years back I did an 'how old are you' thread on these forums while we were in the middle of a CM:BO tournament. The average age was I think 37. That was six years ago smile.gif So does that mean the average age is now 43?

Yes it was your thread I was refering too, and I thought your original question was very interesting. So I made the mistake of trying to read the rest of the thread to find an answer. My experience in that thread lead me here.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Yes, it has been kind of hard discussing tactics

There's been a thread here about tactics?

Where?

I see plenty of threads on military hardware (those aren't tactics threads), and some on computer hardware, but I'd love to see a discussion on tactics.

Can you point me to one in the last couple of weeks? </font>

I said around the time CM:SF was announced that political discussion were pretty much inevitable. We're only ever a comment or two from a political brawl. I do think, given the shenanigans at the time of the ToW release, that we could do with at least one more moderator. I think in general we're a mod short here. No criticism of the team, who have better things to do with their time.

Chad, any time..but I have to warn you, this would definetely cost you some votes back home :D

Btw, not rarely, Steve expresses here his own thoughts about world events too. I think you are exaggerating this political thing a little. I havent seen any thread that really needed locking or moving staying as is either.