Are you a Gamey Smoker? (Unlimited Smoke)

Huntarr

DO we get unlimited smoke and instant reloads? Why for me is it alway two pops and i'm out? I feel like i've been cheated! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'll have to go home and test this out over the weekend. See who's getting smoke reloads and how.

Oh, and by the way. Reports from those in-the-know suggest its not really good for the long term health of your soldiers to be popping WP or burning aluminum flakes directly over their heads.

I hadn't noticed that smoke was unlimited or instant reload. Then again, I've only been playing on the demo for a week, so I'm guessing there's lots of stuff I'm still unaware of.

At any rate, as with most things, I think smoke modeling should be as close to RL as is reasonable feasible. If limited supply and reload time is a factor IRL, I think said factor should be modeled in the game.

This will make it more important that the TacAI for units doesn't unrealistically squander smoke, though. This doesn't seem to be a problem right now, though -- at least in my gameplay thus far, the TacAI's use of smoke has been tactically reasonable.

That's my $.02.

Cheers,

YD

I rarely pop vehicle smoke myself unless the tactical situation demands a smoke screen for my advance. I definitely don't consider that gamey as the game won't allow me to do it any other way. Infantry smoke is a bit weedy compared to the vehicular smoke. Besides, The TacAI seems to be doing a very good job of using smoke defensively so I'm quite happy about that.

I wasn't aware that we had unlimited smoke either. I thought it was just two pops.

MikeyD:

"Oh, and by the way. Reports from those in-the-know suggest its not really good for the long term health of your soldiers to be popping WP or burning aluminum flakes directly over their heads."

But probably a lot better for their long term health than the sh!t that would otherwise be coming their way. :D So no matter how you define the word, smoking is bad for your health?

I think I had a Bradley ran out of smoke after 3 pops or so. And I never saw it reload. But that seemed fair for me.

I don't think we need any unlimited supply of smoke charges. Using smoke form vehices to cover his troops is all right, but a player should have to consider that an excessive use of this tactic will make his vehicles vulnerable if they can no longer pop smoke to defend themselves.

I'm kinda doupting for that arty smoke issue and it's correctness in CMSF. Few notes:

Battlefield is limited. This is already problem when trying to use good defencive tactics like "flankfiringpositions" (what a monster of words, incorrect most likely too), todays gear it's very good way to act and Syrians would need it for their weak and long minimumrange ATGMs. Now i also could basically smoke whole battlefield and rush my men to objectives. Finally when smoke drifts away, i'm already where i should be (in MOUT i might have evaded most defending troops who still are sitting on their thumb in their ambush locations). Leading them from my eye on the sky. I've used this (accidentaly) with Stryker smoke when taking over building from enemy: i did pass enemy's anti-tankdefences and moved my men in to enemy occupied buildings in cover of smoke without any reponse from enemy:

"Ah! It's Ahmed in his new ACU and M4-rifle. Good, Ahmed is a good man. Now, where are the americans? I can hear sound of engine infront of my window, did Ahmed left his car's engine on? Which is bit strange as Ahmed doesn't have a car... "

When smoke drifted away my troops overpowered enemy in quality and guantity and it made me feel like i would need a shower.

Smoke doesn't have anykind effect on my troop's manuvers, they will follow their orders, they will not get lost, their cohesion doesn't get reduced. Just their ability to fire and spot is reduced. If my men inside smoke would start to act weird, go complitely wrong directions etc... Then implenting arty smoke would be much more okay. There should be severe setbacks to make it two-bladed sword.

I once lied next to smokegrenade (those handgrenade sized) when stalking Opfor vehicle in exercises, it did feel bit weird in my lungs and tasted... hmm... funny. It luckly wasn't Thermal blocker, those must be much more wild packages to health and lungs.

[ March 02, 2008, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Secondbrooks ]

it may or may not be gamey, but it possible to use a line of strikers to throw a screen of smoke almost all the way across the map. I have done this very effectively once or twice. Not to move the troops thru it but to screen them from a great many Syrians as they moved parallel to the line of smoke.

currently you can deploy 3-4 salvos of smoke from a single stryker every turn.

Here is a simple test everyone can do:

1. lay out a string of 6 waypoints

2. select each waypoint and pop smoke at each.

3. if you wish to observe each salvo tab camera #1 to the vehicle.

4. repeat step 1 next turn

You well see that you have unlimited smoke salvos