Madmatt, about M1 smoke...

The M1 pop-smoke grenade modeling is nice but very different from the reality. Someone has probably noted this, but I couldn't find it in the forum so just in case I will point it out as well...I know you are a stickler for details!

related thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=001237#000022

The M1 can fire smoke in 2 seperate volleys of 6 grenades per volley, 3 grenades firing per launcher per volley (so you should be able to pop smoke twice without having to get out and manually reload - a lengthy operation which I can understand not modeling in cmx2 as it's out of scope for a tac engagement). Each volley instantly creates a visually impenetrable and large hemisphere of smoke over and in front of the tank, but also complete enclosing the tank. The grenades go off in the air about 20 feet high.

Also, the M1 used to have a engine-based smoke generator which worked by showering the exhaust grill with vaporized diesel (2 gal/minute) creating a truly monstrous could of smoke behind the vehicle, similiar to the dust trail modeling but thicker/bigger/longerlasting.

All this depends on wind speed/direction of course, the effect of which is nicely modeled currently.

Note this is info from the 90's but the grenade launchers look exactly the same so I really doubt this has changed. I don't know if the engine smoke generator is still in service. It was an integral part of M1 fuel system so I would guess so.

You should be able to find a video demonstration, i'm too lazy at the moment and I think i've described it pretty well.

I believe this is probably true of the other smoke-gren discharger equipped US vehicles as well, but can't be sure.

I haven't tried the smoke with the M1 yet but with the Stryker it looks like a big dust cloud. Unless things have changed the smoke clouds should be white.

Overall I am rather shocked by the lack of smoke in the game. Our guys may not be using it in Iraq right now but during a conventional war in Syria the whole country would look like a London fog had rolled in. Especially in MOUT ops over open terrain.

By the way, do they still have the smoke generator Hummer?

Originally posted by Renaud:

...I don't know if the engine smoke generator is still in service. It was an integral part of M1 fuel system so I would guess so.

The engine smoke generator was disconnected sometime in the early 90's.

I've never seen it used, I'm sure a unit here or there tried it, but in the 4 different armor battalions I served in over 14 years never used it.

It is just too dangerous to squirt fuel on the super hot engine exhaust.

The quick disconnects and hoses are still there, so it would probably be a matter of reconnnecting and resetting a circuit breaker.

I don't think I have ever seen an M1 generate smoke other than with the grenade launcher (which is really cool to watch). I saw a couple M60s use their smoke makers once but that was about it.

I didn't know they were disconnected in the M1. I just thought they were a bitch to clean or something, so guys just didn't use them in training.

Yeah, also BMPs Rudd...

But I've noticed that the smoke doesn't block vision even from Syrian infantry. This is the Stryker smoke, haven't tried the rest yet. Looks like something is wrong with it - I understand TI seeing thru, but not bare eye.

Zip

If BFC needs a reference, the History Channel program "Heavy Metal" did a show on the M1, which includes very good footage of an M1 firing its smoke grenades during a training exercise. As mentioned, it's pretty much instantaneous, and produces a large shroud of smoke around the vehicle.

I assume this gives the M1A1 the capability to get smoke out there quickly enough to have a shot a throwing off the aim of an ATGM in flight. Assuming I'm correct, 'Twould be nice to see this modeled in CM:SF.

Cheers,

YD

It is just too dangerous to squirt fuel on the super hot engine exhaust.
Awww...to bad. I guess someone burned up so they disconnected them. We used them a lot at Ft. Irwin for years with never a problem (that I experienced or heard about). We never had to clean anything - maybe that's why someone finally caught on fire lol. Diesel has a really high flash point - you can put a match out in it (don't try at home). It does use a lot of fuel though, not a minor consideration on this gashog.

I know that one of the things they did to make the smoke TI proof was to add clay to it. Maybe that is one type. All the ones I have seen go off were white.

Saw a Leo II set his off when I was OPFOR and we were fighting the Dutch. He did it just as I came around a corner about 75 meters from him. Scared the crap out of me.

Wow, the grenades fly out a lot farther than I remember. The ones I remember fly up and forward and blow up in the air, kinda like the Leopard grenades. Those brown ones have gotta be the new IR blocking smoke (red phosphorus or something).

I was with 2/3rd ACR: NTC 87 and 89, reforger 88, reserve armor battalion TC in ODS 91. Smoke of all sorts was still OK back then I guess.

I have to agree with OP. The smoke we see in CMSF - or at least its visual effect - is an abysmal reflection of its real-life counterpart. The smoke modern (Western) tanks fire pops up 15 meters in the air and lands a curtain of dense smoke 50 meters in front of the tank. It's essentially a giant wall of smoke, not a few small puffs here and there.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I was with 199th Inf Bde during my first rotation in 91, with 1-9 INF in 95, and with 1-5 INF in 97. 199th later was reflagged as 2ACR and I became part of 2/2 ACR.

I was in 9th ID from 90 till it became the 199th in 91, finally left Lewis in 92 for Ft. Carson. Was in 1/9 Cav, on a 50 cal HMMWV.