CM:SF vs ArmA

Just a thought about graphics and it's effect on people.

The beautiful graphics in CM:SF can be deceiving. Just because units have excellent graphical detail doesnt make CM:SF a game with FPS accuracy. This is not GRAW2. The CM series have always been about tactical wargaming and units could just as well have been 2D sprites on maps and still fulfill it's primary function. CM just happens to have detailed 3D units and this is what made the series stand out in the first place. This is also why you can see things happen visually that doesn't make any sense.

My point is. Don't expect individual soldiers to behave realistically in every situation. There are lots of numbers crunched under the surface that doesnt have any unit animations. It has nothing to do with bad AI or whatever you may think.

This is not ArmA the über soldier simulation. This is CM:SF the über tactical simulation of modern combat ;) See the difference?

Originally posted by The Louch:

My eyes started to bleed as soon as I saw the title :(

It was supposed to be provocative. No way you can compare them for real. Maybe the title should have been: The drawback of pretty graphics?

Seriously. People locking the cam on units following them around during battle are prone to see some strange **** happen. However this is mentioned in the manual "The Reality of Reality, a foreword". You have been warned.

Since we started comparing CM:SF to FPS already, let me say that an interaction of soldiers with the environment as presented in the Brothers in Arms series was what I wished for!

In fact, mentioning of 'Action Spots' before release made me believe that we will see a similar system!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Since we started comparing CM:SF to FPS already, let me say that an interaction of soldiers with the environment as presented in the Brothers in Arms series was what I wished for!

In fact, mentioning of 'Action Spots' before release made me believe that we will see a similar system!

Best regards,

Thomm

Wow you have been waiting for the wrong game then. I love the AI in BiA myself. Big fan actually and I'm also looking fw to Hells Highway. Good quality games and the best firefights ever to grace the PC. Historically accurate too. I would however still prefer CM:SF over BiA in the long run. Totally different concepts and I prefer battalion size tactics over 3 men squad tactics.

Originally posted by jogr:

... This is also why you can see things happen visually that doesn't make any sense.

My point is. Don't expect individual soldiers to behave realistically in every situation. ...

I think most stupid behave we see is realistic. Don't expect real soldiers to behave sensefully in much situation. ;)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Best regards,

Thomm

Wow you have been waiting for the wrong game then. I love the AI in BiA myself. Big fan actually and I'm also looking fw to Hells Highway. Good quality games and the best firefights ever to grace the PC. Historically accurate too. I would however still prefer CM:SF over BiA in the long run. Totally different concepts and I prefer battalion size tactics over 3 men squad tactics. </font>

Best regards,

Thomm

I too was hoping to see my infantry use objects for cover, stack up at the doors, kick them in and clear rooms.

Best regards,

Thomm

AI in BIA, just like in CoD, is heavily scripted, and for those games I personally found quite difficult to consider the AI just like.....AI!

In other games like OFP, ArmA and (I guess) CM:SF AI behaviour is handled in a completely different manner: the developers tried to give both OPFOR and BLUEFOR their own "indipendent and flexible intelligence", attempting to make the AI more challenging and realistic.

Guys, this is a real hard duty for any programmer.

To me CMSF continues journey from point to which ArmA stops.

Also CMSF is more "complete" product as ArmA just leaves too many things out, as it's scale is too wide (infantry,tanks,cars,planes etc...), so it doesn't model great deal of important things (to me) properly.

I've played more ArmA/OFP than CMs, but still i love more CMs. ArmA/OFP are more like modding projects (filling it's flaws) to me... Usually driving me nuts.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jogr:

Best regards,

Thomm

Wow you have been waiting for the wrong game then. I love the AI in BiA myself. Big fan actually and I'm also looking fw to Hells Highway. Good quality games and the best firefights ever to grace the PC. Historically accurate too. I would however still prefer CM:SF over BiA in the long run. Totally different concepts and I prefer battalion size tactics over 3 men squad tactics. </font>

Originally posted by Klavan:

AI in BIA, just like in CoD, is heavily scripted, and for those games I personally found quite difficult to consider the AI just like.....AI!

The AI in Shock Force is very heavily scripted too for that matter, you only need to check the scenario editor to see exactly the level of scripting going on there. It might branch some more, but it's still heavily pre-written.

Originally posted by Klavan:

Best regards,

Thomm

In other games like OFP, ArmA and (I guess) CM:SF AI behaviour is handled in a completely different manner: the developers tried to give both OPFOR and BLUEFOR their own "indipendent and flexible intelligence", attempting to make the AI more challenging and realistic.

Guys, this is a real hard duty for any programmer. </font>

Originally posted by Cheeba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Klavan:

The AI in Shock Force is very heavily scripted too for that matter, you only need to check the scenario editor to see exactly the level of scripting going on there. It might branch some more, but it's still heavily pre-written. </font>

I'm sure they are better and more tested then my quick experimental ones, so you guys complaining about the AI must be up to something fishy. Are you playing at all or are you just ranting on the forums?

You're right, the whole lot us (including the EuroGamer reviewer) must have just been imagining it all this time. That's shown us tongue.gif

Originally posted by Cheeba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jogr:

I'm sure they are better and more tested then my quick experimental ones, so you guys complaining about the AI must be up to something fishy. Are you playing at all or are you just ranting on the forums?

You're right, the whole lot us (including the EuroGamer reviewer) must have just been imagining it all this time. That's shown us tongue.gif </font>