Review @ AceGamez

You don't need tooltips or a tutorial to make a good game. It's really a bit of an afterthought. Sure it makes it easier for the new players, but it's not a make or break feature.

Did a quick check at GameRankings and CMBO got 89% based out of 18 reviews. CMBB got 87% based out of 21 and CMAK got 79% based out of 12 reviews. So it's safe to say even mainstream media thinks the same. Sure these are older games and nowadays it is kinda expected. But I don't think we'll be seeing reviewers docking the game a grade/point because of this.

Besides the most important bit from that review for me is this:

Those of you who have played the Combat Mission series before will probably lap it up
:D

But I'm more worried about the performance of the game than anything else.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd be more interested in a tactical manual that deals with how two humans might best deal with each other in an attack-defend situation, though. I started a thread on tactics a couple of weeks ago and it drew little attention. I don't think many people are all that interested, honestly, in deep analysis, at least not without the game in hand at any rate.

The PBEM type player may disagree, CM series was really made more for the email *thinking type player then anyone else in the first place..his manual and a few other docs are his bible and hopefully... he don't need no stink'en tutorial and will kill anyone who does! smile.gif

Originally posted by mystro:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd be more interested in a tactical manual that deals with how two humans might best deal with each other in an attack-defend situation, though. I started a thread on tactics a couple of weeks ago and it drew little attention. I don't think many people are all that interested, honestly, in deep analysis, at least not without the game in hand at any rate.

The PBEM type player's may disagree, CM series was really made more for the email *thinking type player then anyone else in the first place..his manual and a few other docs are his bible and hopefully... he don't need no stink'en tutorial and will kill anyone who does! smile.gif </font>

Well, being a first time user of the CMx series (I pre-orderd the game already) I do hope that some sort of tutorial or training will be included. Experience has shown with Dangerous Waters that high-fidelity sims (in terms of realism) need some getting used to. Without some sort of tutorial the learning curve might be to steep for most, which in the end might mean lower influx of new players. Sure the CMx series has a small following as has SCS with 688, SC and DW but as in life you need some new blood from time to time.

Cheers

OS

Originally posted by OneShot:

Well, being a first time user of the CMx series (I pre-orderd the game already) I do hope that some sort of tutorial or training will be included.

I don't have ti nor was I a beta tester, but in the orignal CM games they had a manual based tutorial. Their was a mission named Tutorial and the manual took you through it step by step. I think that it is is better in someways than interactive tutorials because you are forced to read and try. Leading to faster comprehension most of the time.

Lets hope at least that is done in this game.

Marc

Newbie to CMx:

Welcome and relax. Of course there is a manual to teach you the mechanics of the game. New to War games? Don't know much about tactics? Think "Over Watch" is a winter clock? This forum is one of the finest Grog groups ever. Just ask your questions and you'll get sound military advice. One thing you will not find is any kind of walk thru. It just not that kind of game. Experience in CMx1 has taught us all that the AI is very intuitive. Not human, mind you...but a very sharp Opfor non the less. You will play this game THOUSANDS of hours and still get surprised. So you'll not find anything like "walk to the bridge, turn right and kill the sharpshooter near the gate"... It's a brave new world and you're welcome to it!

Well... I never used the tutorial when I purchased CMBO... I played the demo until I go the hang of it then purchased the full version... after a couple of completely arse about face missions, you inevitably learn from your mistakes.

I have experienced the same with ToW too... although that has been shelved for now due to becoming a bit tiresome.

In short.... manuals are for pussy's (no doubt I will be eating my words once I start playing CMSF )

Not to say that I dont want one though, they're good to have a flick through ;)