A bunch of bones for y'all

What attracted me was the fact that it is such a simple ( if not great in terms of performance) solution.

You plug it in at night and the compressor fills the tank. In that respect it's like an electric car, but it doesn't have the issues with batteries or fuel cells.

For city driving without having to use oil, it may well have a future, as for long distance and hauling loads I don't it.

Howver this could change if they come up with a custom built engine as opposed to an adated petrol one...

Peter.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was stated somewhere on the page that they get 44MJ out of 300 litres of 300 bar air. That is equivalant to one litre of gasoline. I don't know what is the efficiency of the motor, but cars run at around 40% or so. So equivalant to ~2.5 litres of gasoline at max. A 300 litre container able to withstand 300 bars is going to be quite big. So they don't have the issues with batteries or fuel cells, but they do have an issue with a big container holding compressed air. The car is going to have exactly the same problem battery powered cars have. Not enough miles before a need for refill and the air container is going to take a lot of space.

From the page:

Minicat:

2.65*1.62*1.64.

Weight 750kg

Mileage 200-300 km

Top speed 110 km/h

I say this is BS. Interestingly enough all of their models have same mileage, top speed and weight. Some hold 6 persons, some 3. There is one problem with the quoted 100 miles range. You can't know if it is true. It might be or it might not be true, it is impossible to verify. But that site seems to have so much information which seems to be based on nothing that I don't think it is credible source. Mileage varies from 100 miles to 300 km, it should have been in mass manufacturing two years ago and in year 2000 first factories were installed in France and Mexico city should have been using them from 2002. BBC news. To me it seems that they are continuously coming to the market next year.

I think this is really offtopic. So I think I will leave this alone unless I have some good reason to believe that the cars are infact working as advertised. I might be wrong, but atleast I have a good reason to believe that they won't be as good as Guy Negre says.

No idea what the upper player limit will be when we get CoPlay in. Hoping for at least 20 on a side, which would allow for a full battalion on each side commanding all the platoon and higher commands.
Steve, no doubt you've already thought of this, but just in case...

With that many people in a multiplayer game, allowing dedicated servers would be a very good idea.

Regarding bones:

I can only hope that CMx2 will look better than the present state of "Wartime Command":

Wartime Command at Gamespot

Actually, the screenshot do not improve all too much over Squad Assault any more (low-res terrain texture)!? And they started out sooo way ahead of their time when the first screens were released.

I hope that the real time approach will not yield the same graphical compromises in CMx2 ...

Best regards,

Thomm

I quite like the fact that they have a sort of "drawn" quality, rather than photo realism.
To me it's more a matter that current and next-gen (and probably next-next-next-next-gen) engines don't have photorealism. The more advanced graphics get, the less impressed with them I am. Yeah, we've got pixel shaders, vertex shaders, trilinear filtering, 32 bit color, and 1600x1200 resolution, but the stuff just don't look real. All the more advanced graphics do is emphasize the difference between real (just glance away from the screen for half a second and see the difference) and game. Not that having a clear demarcation between fantasy and reality is a bad thing, mind.

If the companies are going to talk about photorealism, I'm not going to be impressed until they actually deliver.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, every big-name engine (Source, Doom 3, Unreal 3, whatever the Oblivion engine is called, or even, going back, Max Payne) that comes down the pipe gets praised as being photorealistic and oh-so-lifelike--and they never are. Hence my irritation with them.

I'd be perfectly content if graphics had never advanced past the stage they were at in 2000, but I realize in a very slim minority there.

Oddly enough if you look at movies like "The Incredibles", as opposed to "Final Fantasy", avoiding photoraelism can often give you something as rewarding.

Some of the games that have gone for less graphic demand by adopting a style, are actually better for it. I think there is a fairly new "spiderman" game that has gone for a deliberately comic book style and has been a hit.

If I have a worry about WW2 RTS, it isn't graphics but it being too "gamey", a bit like a 1:4 scale Battlefield 1942, as opposed to CMBB.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Oddly enough if you look at movies like "The Incredibles", as opposed to "Final Fantasy", avoiding photoraelism can often give you something as rewarding.

I think that "suspension of disbelief" is easier when you do not try too hard to look realistic (like for instance on a stage), otherwise the instictive brain kicks in and starts being troubled by very minor defects that would have been neglected otherwise.