No Timer....fight to the death

Whiteowl

Unlimited time would eliminate what would often be a fairly important constraint on the attacker -- particularly on Blue Force, which often gets the ammunition to be painfully methodical if it only had the time. Check the machine-gun ammon on the Strykers, for instance.

I wouldn't mind scenario authors having the option to set different time limits based on FOW/difficulty, 'tho; as they affect pacing, a scenario that's meant to have very little spare time with reasonable careful play in Veteran may require reckless abandon in Elite.

I'd like to bump this thread.

I feel that on the largest of maps with large force contingents that even two hours is not enough game time.

Steve, would BFC consider putting in an option of "unlimited" in the game length menu? It would be totally up to the scenario designer to use this option as opposed to a time limited setup. Then players who play as maddeningly slowly as myself would have the option of enabling it in the editor if the choose to. This way everyone can choose what is the best fit for themselves.

BUMP

It kills me when I see those red digits on the time counter and still have targets in sight.

Punish me somehow, if you want, for taking too much time to complete the mission, but let me do it.

I always fight the scenarios taking care of every single soldier and vehicle, I do not rush, ever.

Give us more time, please.

I admit many of the scenarios seem a bit too short. In WEGO it was ok because everyone moved, but in realtime I am focusing on one group at a time to storm an area. They secure it I move to the next one with a different group.

I think the designer should be allowed to go beyond 2 hours (at least three and possibly 4). Unless there is a particular reason to constrain the time a longer time should be allowed.

That said is I don't advocate no time limit. I think the failure of a commander to move in any reasonable fashion towards his objective means he lacks initiative and would likely be replaced. A victory condition should be put in that adds points depending on how long the scenario goes.

I also noticed unlike in the CMx1 there is not a definite morale so there are times only 1 guy is left and I have to wait for the time limit to expire. This is a problem for unlimited time as well.

Originally posted by Mud:

Unlimited time would eliminate what would often be a fairly important constraint on the attacker --

An end-of-scenario unlimited time option would also allow the players to decide for themselves whether a time constraint is fun in their gaming experience.

I want the police to be on a time-limit to clear highway accidents... those guys seem to take forever to move the darn cars off the road and get traffic moving again!

They've definitely got the "unlimited" game length option ;)

The 'old' CMx1 answer to that request would be that eventually troops would run out of ammo so endless gameplay wouldn't be that much fun. But now I can scamper my men back to their Bradleys to replenish their ammo stocks. That feature REALLY helps extend gameplay. Lack of replenishment socks in BMPs for Red is a bit annoying though. Guess that wasn't first priority because the campaign was being played Blue only.