Very Hard CMSF Decision -- I need your help!

Originally posted by sage2:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Somehow I think that in 1.5 weeks CMSF will be far from your mind. ;)

What's your MOS?

You may be right. :=) 38B, Civil Affairs, Reserve. It's going to be an interesting ride at 32... </font>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

osts by Michael Dorosh: 25859

Posts by Cpl Steiner: 809

Who needs to get a life? Go figure.

And by the way. I don't even object to your frankly incredible post count. After all, posting is what a forum is for. My objection to your post was that it was an unprovoked insult to another poster. I'm sure many here would agree, even if you can't see it.

And I don't object to your questions about the game; it is good to see your enthusiasm and interest.

If the original poster thinks he has been insulted by my comments, he won't last three days on his basic training, and that is a fact. The difference being, of course, he is not being paid to be abused by me. Fair enough. I've only been a reservist, but I've been around one or two courses, helped out from the instructor's side of things, and think I know enough to say that hearing it straight, right now, will pay dividends. If he thinks he's going to dance into basic training and have time to worry about games and anything outside the confines of his barracks, he needs to divest himself of that immediately. In short, get un****ed if not for his own sake, but the sake of the guys in his platoon who will have to live with him and who will certainly be judged according to how well he adjusts to his new lifestyle.

30 years ago this summer I was going through Basic at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. No time for anything except a few letters not that we could do anything else anyway. I was so tired at times I fell asleep standing up.

They tried to scare you at AIT saying it was worse than basic but after the first two weeks we had weekends off and I was able to see Star Wars twice in Lawton. I also played Panzer Leader with a guy who had brought a copy. Didn't even have Atari back then but it didn't matter since there was only one T.V. for a few hundred guys in the Rec room.

Holy retarded assumptions batman! Let's try this on for size: I'm 32, married, work successfully at the top of my profession in the software industry, have decided to put my civilian skills to work in the Reserves at no small sacrifice to myself or my wife, and the only reason my pants are baggy is because I've been working out and running like a fiend for the last 6 months, oh -- and if you say the Clash are s***y music, then you might be right, but f*** you anyway. :=) Motivation and focus will not be my problem. My big challenge is going to be keeping my mouth shut around opinionated pr***s, but you made this thread good practice. Ooops, just failed the first test.

I was just having a little fun in the forum.

Not during his basic training. If he isn't thinking about his responsibilities to his platoon mates, he doesn't deserve to be there.

The gentlemen in this thread who think I'm being a big meanie can post all they want; if you haven't worn a uniform done basic training yourself, or been at the other end and seen the burden one unmotivated candidate can put on course staff, then you have no basis for objecting to my comments.

I stand by what I said. Grow up, forget about video games and ****ty music and baggy pants for the next few months. Forget about everything that previously made you who you are and prepare to become part of a team that trains to fight and win on the battlefield. After a week, if your instructors are doing things right, you won't even remember what this forum looks like.

Good luck. You're about to become part of something much bigger than yourself - or some video game. From the sound of your comments, it will be a first for you. It's kind of supposed to be. Let us know how it goes. [/QB]

Thanks Mack -- I appreciated the advice. I'm going in as an E-4, so I'm sure I'll get the PG role, at least until I get fired. I'm actually looking forward to it. I've exceeded the PT requirements by quite a bit, so I don't think that will be my biggest challenge.

Reg. drill sergeant job -- I think they have the hardest job in the army. I know I would not want to have to train a bunch of confused, hormonal 17 year olds with high power semi-automatic rifles. I have enough context to realize that the DSes have a tough, tough job and they volunteered for it because they *want* to be mold the future soldiers.

you show up, be ready to lead. I did BCT as an older recruit, and tried to avoid that role at first since I was struggling with the PT, and I thought the kids would be better served by a peer leader.

Eventually, I decided to help make things happen. The drill sergeants have an incredibly difficult job; help them accomplish their tasks on time, and the quality of your experience will improve. You'll get to spend more time learning how to soldier rather than BS.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy BCT.

Right now, you've implied that:

1) I wear baggy clothes.

2) Listen to sh***y music (okay, maybe on this one).

3) Am unmotivated.

4) Think BCT will be like a computer game / should be easy etc...

5) Need to focus on my career.

6) Will not do well at BCT b/c I take exception to your assumptions on this board.

And I probably missed a couple. It's all about context. Not only am I not being paid to take your insults, but I didn't volunteer for it (other than by posting here), nor is there a higher purpose (other than to amuse you). Your weak attempts to rationlize your immature behavior and tell mildy humerous anecdotes about your own service in the age of muskets don't hide the fact that you're just a wordy troll with a crapload of posts.

If the original poster thinks he has been insulted by my comments, he won't last three days on his basic training, and that is a fact. The difference being, of course, he is not being paid to be abused by me.

Go to Basic and AIT, save the money, buy a laptop and then get the game.

That way you have something to play when you are deployed. Depending on your MOS you can expect it. You will have some down time and you will need to do something to enjoy yourself.

No joke guys, my laptop was a lifesaver when I was in the Gulf in 2003. I played the snot out of CMBB and CMBO during that time. CMAK wouldn't run well enough on the computer to make it worth while.

Holy retarded assumptions batman! Let's try this on for size: I'm 32, married, work successfully at the top of my profession in the software industry, have decided to put my civilian skills to work in the Reserves at no small sacrifice to myself or my wife, and the only reason my pants are baggy is because I've been working out and running like a fiend for the last 6 months, oh -- and if you say the Clash are s***y music, then you might be right, but f*** you anyway. :=) Motivation and focus will not be my problem. My big challenge is going to be keeping my mouth shut around opinionated pr***s, but you made this thread good practice. Ooops, just failed the first test.

I was just having a little fun in the forum.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Not during his basic training. If he isn't thinking about his responsibilities to his platoon mates, he doesn't deserve to be there.

The gentlemen in this thread who think I'm being a big meanie can post all they want; if you haven't worn a uniform done basic training yourself, or been at the other end and seen the burden one unmotivated candidate can put on course staff, then you have no basis for objecting to my comments.

I stand by what I said. Grow up, forget about video games and ****ty music and baggy pants for the next few months. Forget about everything that previously made you who you are and prepare to become part of a team that trains to fight and win on the battlefield. After a week, if your instructors are doing things right, you won't even remember what this forum looks like.

Good luck. You're about to become part of something much bigger than yourself - or some video game. From the sound of your comments, it will be a first for you. It's kind of supposed to be. Let us know how it goes.

[/QB]</font>

If sage2 starts a thread about how he pissed off his dog on purpose in order to take a picture of him baring his teeth, I may have to revisit some of my basic assumptions about the universe.

This thread was like a trip down memory lane. I wonder how Rommel22 ever made out in the air force - been a while since we heard from him. I hear he managed to sneak printouts of the Fionn-Pillar AAR into the barracks during his basic and survived by rereading it under the blankets at night with a penlight, but had to bribe the fire picquet with jelly donuts.

This is classic Michael Dorosh folks, eat it up and enjoy!

I will now attempt to recall basic... let's see, the slackers flunked out or shaped up, the gung-ho would-be-rambos were spiritually broken down or flunked out and the rest of us just kept our heads down and did our best to follow orders without getting noticed. (Which was kind of hard when you had top marks in practially everything!)

All I kept thinking about was my girlfriend and the long lost taste of beer. Oh and about a billion other thins like boots and bunks and PT and NBC training and so on...

Good luck and what ever you do, don't get noticed!

jruddy

I'm 32, married, work successfully at the top of my profession in the software industry, have decided to put my civilian skills to work in the Reserves at no small sacrifice to myself or my wife, and the only reason my pants are baggy is ...<snip>

He he - MD, you been pwned!

:D

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

This is classic Michael Dorosh folks, eat it up and enjoy!

I will now attempt to recall basic... let's see, the slackers flunked out or shaped up, the gung-ho would-be-rambos were spiritually broken down or flunked out and the rest of us just kept our heads down and did our best to follow orders without getting noticed. (Which was kind of hard when you had top marks in practially everything!)

All I kept thinking about was my girlfriend and the long lost taste of beer. Oh and about a billion other thins like boots and bunks and PT and NBC training and so on...

Good luck and what ever you do, don't get noticed!

jruddy

Basic Training in Canuckistan hardly counts. (Top marks, eh? Who's "classic" now?) You probably carried some unGodly 7.62mm weapon that was built before you were born, wore a John Wayne commemorative steel helmet, and trained to fight screaming Fantasians on the North German Plain, fumbling through the best way to attack a "Soviet-style trench system" at the same time as learning the Canadian wind pants were either useless at retaining heat in the winter or far too hot in the summer. :mad: And I bet you didn't get a single piece of red-hot TNT to chuck at anyone the whole time.

I did military service in my country. It was the conscription type (I think that's what you call it) and only for ten months but I played computer games until the day when I went in and it turned out ok.

I didn't play during the evenings of my service and I wasn't suggesting sage2 would either. I just thought it would be good for him to do something fun before entering the service.

This would also give him something fun to think about during one of the many dreary waits that military service consists of.

Off course in sweden we have a different way of drilling soldiers then you in the US do.

//Salkin

Thanks sir. It looks like work is going to allow me to keep my work laptop for AIT. That will help. I've been told the CA AIT is accademically intensive, and not to expect free time due to study requirements.

Originally posted by SimHq.com Tom Cofield:

Go to Basic and AIT, save the money, buy a laptop and then get the game.

That way you have something to play when you are deployed. Depending on your MOS you can expect it. You will have some down time and you will need to do something to enjoy yourself.

No joke guys, my laptop was a lifesaver when I was in the Gulf in 2003. I played the snot out of CMBB and CMBO during that time. CMAK wouldn't run well enough on the computer to make it worth while.

One other piece of advice. My dad gave me this one just before I went in. "Grab a mop and walk with a purpose." If it looks like you are supposed to be doing something they won't give you something else to do. The bs usually starts when they think you have too much time on your hands.

Seriously though, sounds like you'll be fine. And just think, when they start the "X more weeks and I'll be home," cadence calls for you it will actually be true. For active duty guys they will just be changing chowhalls.

Originally posted by Salkin:

I did military service in my country. It was the conscription type (I think that's what you call it) and only for ten months but I played computer games until the day when I went in and it turned out ok.

I didn't play during the evenings of my service and I wasn't suggesting sage2 would either. I just thought it would be good for him to do something fun before entering the service.

What do you call this? :D

This would also give him something fun to think about during one of the many dreary waits that military service consists of.

Off course in sweden we have a different way of drilling soldiers then you in the US do.

//Salkin

Soldiers wait no matter where they go. In Canada our methods are also less "intense", and I think it varies even in the States from branch to branch. Still, the formative weeks are the most important. I realize I sound like I'm taking this too seriously, but I don't apologize. Too many people waste time and money entering service as a lark, and it creates a huge burden on everyone up and down the chain.

Besides, its just plain funny to get them worked up. I miss Rommel22; the dog thread was a classic. I hope his absence from the forum means he's doing well in the service, or found a better option. He was fun to wind up, but he wasn't all that bad either.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Salkin:

What do you call this? :D

//Salkin

Soldiers wait no matter where they go. In Canada our methods are also less "intense", and I think it varies even in the States from branch to branch. Still, the formative weeks are the most important. I realize I sound like I'm taking this too seriously, but I don't apologize. Too many people waste time and money entering service as a lark, and it creates a huge burden on everyone up and down the chain.

Besides, its just plain funny to get them worked up. I miss Rommel22; the dog thread was a classic. I hope his absence from the forum means he's doing well in the service, or found a better option. He was fun to wind up, but he wasn't all that bad either. </font>