Okay I have to ask... ref: Choosing Weapons?

I read the manaual and perhaps I just missed it but I keep reading things in these forums like "I told my Stryker to Open up with the MK19" and "I forgot to tell them to grab the Javeling Launcher!".

What in the world are these people refering to??

I see no way to "tell" my stryker to do anything but shoot. I have choices like Target, Target Fan, etc... but I can't figure out how to tell it to use a specific weapon on a specific target.

Same with the Javelin. I see where it is on the Stryker but see no way to tell Joe to grab it to use. Is this automatic when you create an AT team? If so then why do some people on here insist on making up references to commands?

Please help.

Thanks

The Javelin can't be used by the Stryker; the riders use "Acquire" Command to grab the rounds and the CLU. and then they dismount to use it. Basically the game is assuming that the javelin and the extra ammo are the squads stuff just being stored there.

Can't really tell them what weapons system to use; the AI determines that. Although if they have a cannon or such the "fire light" is available and that makes them use the MGs (that has been my experience).

Sarge,

When you embark infantry on a IFV, they have an 'acquire' command available on the 'special' menu. This is how you grab the Javelin CLU and ammo tubes as well as replenishing squad ammo.

As far a targeting the Mk19, well that model of Stryker only has 1 weapon - the Mk19 so when you issue a 'target' order it's not very ambiguous what the Stryker should do. Cool?

When your squad is inside the Stryker, go to Special Commands and use the Acquire command to get the Javelin launcher and also missiles for it. Its in the manual, p. 65 and in the tutorial campaign.

The Stryker with the Mk 19 can be targetted with a cover arc, or better yet, use an area fire command near something you want to receive 40mm goodness and it will spray the area. You can also target buildings and it will pepper them.

Originally posted by rlg85:

Does area fire seem to get the best results as far as actually getting the Mk19 to fire?

Yes, in my eperience. Same thing goes for infantry in close building to building fights, they often won't use grenades and grenade launchers until you manually target the building and or opposing squad.

See that is where im comewhat confused about what is being abstracted. This may have been answered elsewhere, but I havent seen an answer, when we see it hitting dead center on the building over and over when area firing, is that actually where it is hitting?

Take this at face value coming from someone with only 10 hours of gameplay, but in my experience fire on individuals occupying buildings still seem highly abstracted. E.g. what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

While fire on individuals in the open seems less abstracted (and in turn maybe cover isn't abstracted?).

I really have no good answer right now, but firing at targets in buildings is no doubt abstracted - in visuals if nothing else.

EDIT: I am probably as confused as you are.

[ July 29, 2007, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Xipe66 ]

Originally posted by rlg85:

See that is where im comewhat confused about what is being abstracted. This may have been answered elsewhere, but I havent seen an answer, when we see it hitting dead center on the building over and over when area firing, is that actually where it is hitting?

I think it is abstracted. In playing the ambushed Stryker scenario, I had some uncons sneak up to the building next to the imobilized Stryker. I targeted the building with the MK.19. A bit later I entered the building and there were 5-6 dead bad guys inside, along the far back wall. The only thing targeted was the middle of the building. I think you might have to target the different floors in area fire mode, other than that area fire on buildings seems to be abstracted.

[ July 29, 2007, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Dogface ]