Create own our Battalion

I had an idea while editing a scenario...how about have ability create our own battalion with certain rule what county can provide even possible selectable certain weapons as with rule and date to each squad for example replace pistol with SMG in platoon headquarter squad. It will be much easy than have to add/delete/edit a bunch of battalions into one. tongue.gif

BFC specifically said that ahistoric (or is that unhistoric?) monkeying with the TO&E would not be possible. They worked hard to offer a historically accurate game and you'll PLAY a historically accurate game, dammit! :mad: ;)

But that brings up another topic - the scale of the next release. With all the fancy CMx2 bells & whistles is a full battallion going to be too large to handle? In my admittedly uninformed imagings I've seen CMx2 as not much above company-size tactical combat. But that was before Grognards came out with its 50,000 man army!

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Besides, the BFC guys do a pretty fair job of research and covered almost all possible TO&E's for the entire war, within reason. IMHO, at least.

Us Ameriphiles would disagree strongly. I am a big booster for BFC but the selection of U.S. OBs and TO&Es is astonishingly poor when you consider how few they actually needed to include compared to the other nationalities.

I hope that if they do a WWII module for CMx2 that includes the U.S. that they do it better this time.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

I hope that if they do a WWII module for CMx2 that includes the U.S. that they do it better this time.

-dale

[southern Drawl]

Whur isz my trusty shotgun!

[/drawl]

In all seriousness, just because it wasn't officially part of the arsenal, doesn't mean it wasn't used.

Master of double negatives!

Originally posted by FFE:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

-dale

[southern Drawl]

Whur isz my trusty shotgun!

[/drawl]

In all seriousness, just because it wasn't officially part of the arsenal, doesn't mean it wasn't used.

Master of double negatives! </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Besides, the BFC guys do a pretty fair job of research and covered almost all possible TO&E's for the entire war, within reason. IMHO, at least.

Us Ameriphiles would disagree strongly. I am a big booster for BFC but the selection of U.S. OBs and TO&Es is astonishingly poor when you consider how few they actually needed to include compared to the other nationalities.

-dale </font>

Lemme second that.

Despite the existance of paper standards for ORBATS, actual units could differ quite a bit from the standard loadout. I have documentation here for the South Alberta Regiment (ostensibly a Armoured Recce Regiment) whose ORBAT is:

RHQ: 4 X Sherman V

1 X White Halftrack

1 X Humber scout car

HQ Squadron: 2 X White Halftrack

11 X Stuart VI (Recce Troop)

7 X Crusader III AA (AA troop)

9 X Humber scout car (Intercom troop)

A, B, C Squadrons: 4 troops 3 X Sherman V, 1 X Firefly

3 X Sherman V (SHQ troop)

1 X Humber scout car

2 X White Halftrack

1 X Sherman Recovery

And then the echelons, normally not gamed

Note that the 7th Crusader AA and 5 of the Humbers in Intercom troop exceeded the paper strength of the unit, and were apparently knitted while in theatre.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so some sort of ORBAT editor really is necessary to create actual units (and command relationships) as they existed on the ground, rather than as they are "supposed" to have existed by the book.

And that's just with nice simple large units like vehicles. That doesn't even begin to cover infantry section loadouts.....

DG

Originally posted by Dennis Grant:

Lemme second that.

Despite the existance of paper standards for ORBATS, actual units could differ quite a bit from the standard loadout. I have documentation here for the South Alberta Regiment (ostensibly a Armoured Recce Regiment) whose ORBAT is:

(snips)

DG

SAR didn't have Fireflies in their initial actions - I think we established they didn't get equipped with them til Sep or Oct 1944 (?); and while dubbed an "Armoured Recce" Regiment, they were in fact equipped and employed as an Armoured Regiment, one of four in the 4th Armoured Brigade of the 4th Cdn Armoured Div. Not sure if the designation made much diff.

However, mixed troops were definitely common in the armoured regiments of CW armoured divisions - definitely 1 and later 2 Fireflies per troop. Hope this gets addressed.

They worked hard to offer a historically accurate game and you'll PLAY a historically accurate game, dammit!
You would be hard pressed to find any squad in the German army that matched it's TOE in 1944/1945 and that's historical FACT! It's harder to find any army in world that matches it's TOE after a war breaks out even today. Less that 20% of the units in Iraq match their original TOE that was on paper before the war.

I guess it's historically accurate to model everthing that was on paper before the war broke out, but what about the other 80%!

According to the regimenal history, the SAR started getting their Fireflies in Sept 1944.

And yes, the individual sabre squadrons were normally attached to the individual infantry regiments of the 10th Infantry Brigade.

But it seems that the CO of the SAR was big on recce, agressively using his regimental recce troop and the AA troop to act as brigade recce.

It appears that the SAR was a fairly flexible organization, and that flexibility was prized over a literal adherence to a paper ORBAT.

One would hope that a game that aims at historical accuracy would allow for similar flexibility.

DG