About to pull the trigger on CMSF

Hello, all. I downloaded the demo and have stayed up too late a few nights enjoying it quite a bit. My system is so-so, and there's no real chance of upgrading my video card (i have one of those idiotic onboard video cards), so i was a bit wary at first thinking that my system wouldn't come close to handling the game. Well, I was wrong!

Anyway, since the demo runs fine, I am assuming that there shouldn't be any difference in the performance of the full game? (obviously, scenario size will make a difference, I know).

Thanks,

Ricky

Originally posted by Preacher:

(i have one of those idiotic onboard video cards

Unless you have a very old, or very unusual pc, you can install a new video card and override the onboard. You can do it yourself or, if you know nothing about the internal organs of a pc, get a local computer dude to do it.

It could pay dividends - in fact, it will in terms of playing SF - but you might want to post your specs here first for more advice, just in case your pc isn't up to the job.

Hi,

I have a newer Acer AM3100 with an Athlon 5600+ processor. 3GB RAM and onboard ATI x1250 with 256mb of memory.

I've tried and tried and tried to get my GeForce card to work in this system (from my last system), but it refuses. There is nowhere in the BIOS to disable the onboard video, share video ram, or anything like that. It is very frustrating because as i type this i am looking at the card sitting right in front of me and knowing how much better things would run if I could get it to work.

Any advice here?

Thanks,

Ricky

Ahhh, I'm reminded of my many problems running CMBO on my oooooold system 'back in the day'. :D

There's not many scenarios on the CD that'll choke your system. Maybe an 'epic battle' or two at the end of the campaign. But the game options window lets you keep dropping and dropping the demands on your processor. I guess you can do what I did with CMBO, play everything except the Brigade-size battles over mountainous terrain.

Usuallyinstalling a new card and drivers automatically overrides the onboard, or is simply enough overriden by software wizards - that's my experience, anyway. I'm not techie enough to know why yours doesn't. If the card slots in, it ought to function.

That's not much help, I know, if yours won't work. With luck, a few more knowledgeable players will come in here and pitch in.

Welcome Preacher!

You'll have a lot o fun with this game.

This hardware, video, etc. questions are always a pain for me!!!! I guess that's why so many people like consoles for games.

So much time must be spent tweaking things, that could be better spent playing the game! :rolleyes:

Video card sure makes a difference in CMSF but not so much as it does with other games. I guess performance has more to do with CPU than GPU. But what do I know!

Let's see if there are some tech gurus around to help you.

Check also the tech support forum.

Have fun!