Any chance of Cold War game??

aleader

not even close to WW2

reread the russian general commenting on nato rear gaurd actions(3 men and a jeep with antitank missiles)

Originally posted by aleader:

Just finished reading Red Storm Rising (had it forever, just never bothered reading it) and it just made me want a Cold War game even more. Why no Cold War? Would be very interesting, varied, and well-balanced, similar to WW2. Thoughts?

Just finished reading Red Storm Rising (had it forever, just never bothered reading it) and it just made me want a Cold War game even more. Why no Cold War? Would be very interesting, varied, and well-balanced, similar to WW2. Thoughts?

Try reading TEAM YANKEE if you haven't already. Another good one imo.

HAHA.

Few days ago ive buy same book. smile.gif

I read this few years ago so now i read this like a new one. smile.gif

Rest of books of Larry Bond are also very good esspecially "Cauldron" about German-French invasion of my country (Poland). ;D

Sad to say but in strategic games just World In Conflict (good game btw) describes such conflict.

Personally, I'd love a 80's Fulda Gap (or Red Storm Rising) scenario. But according to BFC it ain't gonna happen. They've looked at gameplay issues as well as market appeal and figured out a WW3 scenario wouldn't fly.

Originally posted by luderbamsen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aleader:

Personally, I'd love a 80's Fulda Gap (or Red Storm Rising) scenario. But according to BFC it ain't gonna happen. They've looked at gameplay issues as well as market appeal and figured out a WW3 scenario wouldn't fly. </font>

I agree on the WW3 scenario based on NATO vs Warsaw Pact, as I have already stated in another thread.

I think there would be a lot of support for this, just not from most of those on these boards (which oddly enough only count for a small percentage of the CM gamers). This statement is placed to gain much debate followed by statistics of my ignorance. ;)

It would produce very large battles that would be the modern equivalents of many past CM scenarios (excluding CM:SF of course). Not sure what game-play issues there would be that they have not already have experience with from the previous games (haven't read other posts on the subject). Boardgames, RPGs, movies, books and video games made on the subject would all point towards a market for this environment. But that could just be my imagination again.

Honestly, I think debates over what would or wouldn't sell miss the mark; the real reason why there's not going to be a CMx2:WW3 game is that Steve, Charles & Co. aren't really interested in making one.

Everyone working at BFC could make more money, for considerably less aggravation, working for a larger software company on products with broader commercial appeal. The whole reason they started BFC was to make the games *they* wanted to make, not the games that would sell the most, or make the most money.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they do want to make some money along the way. So the potential market for any game idea does come into play. But if you really want a CM:Fulda Gap or whatever, what you need to do first is convince Steve and Charles that such a game is something they are going to enjoy researching and creating more than the half dozen or so other projects they're looking at doing over the next decade. The whole sales/popularity thing is secondary to this.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Honestly, I think debates over what would or wouldn't sell miss the mark; the real reason why there's not going to be a CMx2:WW3 game is that Steve, Charles & Co. aren't really interested in making one.

Everyone working at BFC could make more money, for considerably less aggravation, working for a larger software company on products with broader commercial appeal. The whole reason they started BFC was to make the games *they* wanted to make, not the games that would sell the most, or make the most money.

So how do we make them want what we want? Hookers? Booze? Boozed up hookers?

This is what I want........or sumfink like it.

1984 – Avalon Hill

Firepower is a detailed look at the organization, weapons, and equipment, and tactics of many of the world's nations since 1965. During the long "peace" since the end of World War II, there have been innumerable wars and threats of wars. New weapons have entered inventories in the more advanced nations, then been replaced in turn by still newer weapons, while the older equipment filtered down to the armies of the "third world". Unit organizations have been shuffled and new tactics devised and tested in attempts to integrate the new weapons for maximum flexibility and effect. Firepower gives players the opportunity to command squad units in recent or current wars, and to experiment with their own squad organizations.

If you could combine the current OPFOR weapons, T-62/72 BMPs etc, with the terrain of CMx2WW2 you nearly have a Cold war game. Some Leopards, M60s, M113s would be necessary though. Instead of the uninteresting Marines module a WW3 70s/80s (with mid east in mind too) add on would be worth the money. Going backwards in history seems to be more challenging tactically. A CMSF blue on Blue for instance is pure overkill..not interesting at all. He who sees first wins and really 6months after the release I still cant figure out how LOS works and who sees who. Go back to forgiving weaponry and

all glitches of the engine would be less noticeable.

Don't really know why they'd want to make a *ficticious* Syria game and not a much more plausible (back then anyways) Cold War game. Even N Korea vs NATO isn't that far off. They've done the research for most of these weapons already in CMSF have they not? I'm wondering if it wasn't the complexity of the terrain they would need to come up with for a Cold War game? Once they've done it (terrain) for a WW2 game with this engine, I'm sure it will be easy for modders to come up with a CW game.

And thanks for the book tips. I'll check them out.

Just finished reading Red Storm Rising

Great book. I still think of parts of it--like the German tank units firing, then reversing back to the next previously prepared position. IMHO, better than Search for Red October...and I never was nearly attracted to Clancy's stuff after Red Storm Rising.

Can you imagine a movie of it?

But I think it will have to wait for CM3, CM4, or CM5. Even for just the ground war, the air combat, unit density, and terrain issues would seem to me staggering. You would also have to deal extensively with electronic warfare--which is something one can largely avoid in current versions of asymetric combat.

even a 6 hr movie would not do it justice

needs to be a 1 yr series at least 22 1hr episodes

Originally posted by Rankorian:

Great book. I still think of parts of it--like the German tank units firing, then reversing back to the next previously prepared position. IMHO, better than Search for Red October...and I never was nearly attracted to Clancy's stuff after Red Storm Rising.

But I think it will have to wait for CM3, CM4, or CM5. Even for just the ground war, the air combat, unit density, and terrain issues would seem to me staggering. You would also have to deal extensively with electronic warfare--which is something one can largely avoid in current versions of asymetric combat. </font>

Originally posted by Beastttt:

even a 6 hr movie would not do it justice

needs to be a 1 yr series at least 22 1hr episodes

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rankorian:

But I think it will have to wait for CM3, CM4, or CM5. Even for just the ground war, the air combat, unit density, and terrain issues would seem to me staggering. You would also have to deal extensively with electronic warfare--which is something one can largely avoid in current versions of asymetric combat. </font>

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Nice to have a reality check to break you out of your wetdreams of seeing Centurions, Leopard 1s, M48s, Kanonenjagdpanzer, Sheridans and Chieftons face off vs T55s, T64s and T10s...

Hard to believe that the BFC guys wouldn't be turned on by all that cool kit.

Can we start a petition? How many signatures would it take to persuade them that this would be viable option?