ATGMs not deploying

MiB

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Did you by any chance have them target something whilst still deploying? You may want to cancel that fire order.

Depends on what missile you are deploying, too. The Kornet should take about 2-3 minutes or so. the older stuff takes longer, IIRC.

No, I didn't. They just never deploy.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Some of the Soviet ATGMs can be fired without setting up, but with reduced accuracy. Off the top of my head it is the AT-5 and AT-7. Most must be Deployed, such as the AT-3 in all its various forms. 5 minutes sounds about right, so dunno what C3K might have experienced.

Steve

Wrong thread, same problem, Steve smile.gif

For a clarification (maybe you can reproduce this; I'll try to reproduce this later today) it was a quick battle, I ordered ny ATGM guys (3 teams) to run from their setup point to a building, up onto the roofs. After they did;

1 spent the rest of the scenario deploying on the roof (20+ minutes before I called it quits)

1 got killed after about 12 minutes (still deploying)

1 moved out into the open and wouldn't deploy, even though I left it there for about 8 minutes.

Edit: On the bright side, my BMPs used their ATGMs and AP ammo exclusively on the Strykers, leading to some very spectacular fireworks as opposed to having to hit them 10-15 times before they were knocked out.

What do you have to do to get them to deploy? Just wait or is there a special command? At what range would they fire once given a target command? There's not setup countdown so I can't tell what is going on, and when I look at the little guys, they don't even seem to be carrying a tube! Is that normal for AT3C?

MiB,

I'll check into the chance that ATGMs aren't setting up properly on rooftops. That is something that should be easy for me to find out.

Sivodsi,

DEPLOY is a Special Command. You have to manually tell a unit to Deploy most of the time. Sometimes they will do so on their own, but they are purposefully coded not to. The reason is that some weapons, like a MMG, can fire from a bipod or tripod. Setting the gun up on the tripod takes time and effort to set up, same thing to break it down and move. Movement with a "Deployed" weapon is slower and costs more Condition, so it really is practical for short distances only.

I would like there to be a countdown for Deploy, but there are reasons to not do this. However, I've made a note because I do think the pros of a countdown outweigh the cons.

Steve

No, unfortunately. Javelin's literally the only weapon in the whole game that has to be 'acquired'. Everything else in the inventory you get an attached weapons team when you purchase it.

That's not entirely true. You purchase a mg bunker and you have to place troop into it before it works - even a lowly 'spy' can fire the HMG in a bunker! smile.gif

You got me curious. I ran a little test last night. AT-3 and AT-4 will deploy to roofs and fire but it takes a looooong time. I got up and got a snack while waiting but it may have been something like 5 min. AT-3 is especially tricky, though. It's got such a huge minimum engagement range (like in real life) that it may just sit there on the roof if your target's approached to within 'only' 300m in the meantime. :rolleyes:

The AT-3 does take 5 min to deploy and fire its first missile and yes if the target is less then <1000 meters from the launcher the gunner can use the joystick to get the missile to the target without using the optics, or so they say.

AT-4/AT-5 because of its weight which is categorized as portable about fifty pounds/22.5 kg rather then manportable and should be carried only to short distances from vehicles <500 meters and they both take a three man team to carry the equipment, the gunner carries the launcher and tripod in a backpack and the the other two man each carry two launch tubes in a backpack, or so they say.

However the AT-7/AT-13 and the Kornet-E are manportable and shouldn't take more then 5 mintues to setup and fire its first missile down range or so they say.

Thanks for the answers, Steve!

The 'deploy' command is under 'special', right, and if its not there then no special command is necessary?

Is it normal for there to be no sign of the weapon itself before it is deployed? And presumably when it is deployed the graphic will change and the weapon will become visible?

Its been frustrating having juicy M1s sitting 1400 m or so away, and not being able to do anything about them, not knowing what is going on with my AT teams.

Sivodsi,

The 'deploy' command is under 'special', right, and if its not there then no special command is necessary?
Correct. If a Command doesn't show up at all, the unit isn't able to use it or doesn't need it.

We do want to have some better feedback about ranges. The problem we came upon with the AT-3 is that it is fairly uniquely TERRIBLE in terms of minimum engagement range. Easily one of the worst weapons ever fielded in that regard. 500m minimum range... egads!

Steve