Improved Outer Tactical Vest

Oh good LORD would they STOP CHANGING EQUIPMENT ON US!! What happen to the good old days? You know, where you hear about something today and then in 10 years, after millions of Dollars spent, the program is killed off without anything ever having reached troops? That would be SO much easier on us.

Grrrrrrr... figures the bloody brass would finally get their asses in gear at a time when we need them to be lethargic and ineffective.

BAH!

No, sorry... too late to switch body armor on our little virtual guys. We gotta go with what we got.

Steve

Personally, I doubt it as well. But that's just the thing... we've been down this road many times already and been extremely surprised by the results. The RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative) is one of the few programs the Pentagon has come up with that actually works at cutting through the red tape. ACUs, body armor, eye armor, knee pads, radios, new helmets, hydration systems, etc. etc. have all had amazingly short times between the identified need and fielding compared to 2004 and earlier. Not only that, instead of a trickle of stuff getting into Iraq and Afghanistan it goes in as a flood.

Ironically, the ACU Interceptor Body Armor was one of the first successes of the program. Some smart ass suggested that all they needed to do was fly a couple containers of ACU covers to Kuwait and then have an exchange program to swap out the old covers of deploying/rotating units with new ones.

I say "smart ass" because that is probably what people thought of him when he said "hey, why can't we just fly in a crudload of just the covers to them and do a hot swap in the field?" instead of "let's wait for several months whlie we produce new vests, then ship the new vests over in small quantities due to the bulk and weight, then swap them with the old ones. The old vests, which are perfectly good to reissue can then sit around in warehouses in Kuwait for 20 years totally forgotten about while troops back in the US are still being issued with the old covers so more stuff can get piled up and forgotten about in Kuwait".

So once again I have to say to the Army THANKS A LOT for finally figuring a way around your own 18th Century procurment and issuing techniques at the same time we're making CM. It just isn't fair.

Oh, and you guys in theater... shut your yaps. Sure, sure, sure... this is great for you, but stop thinking about yourselves for just one second and take our pain and suffering into consideration. Sheeesh, is that too much to ask?!? That's what Oprah would tell you to do, or at least Dr. Phil!

:D

Steve

"Oh good LORD would they STOP CHANGING EQUIPMENT ON US!!"

I was just mentioning something like this to someone about the now-ubiquitous M1114 Humvee. If you look closely enough at M114 photos you're able to discern a quick turnaround of armor package opgrades going from pre-war M1114, to 2004 M1114, to 2006 M1114. Just yesterday I spotted previously unnoticed up-armored windshield frames!

Given the option between riding around Iraq in the most recent up-armored vehicle, wtih the most recent body-armor, and last year's model of each, I'd generally choose the former option.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"Oh good LORD would they STOP CHANGING EQUIPMENT ON US!!"

I was just mentioning something like this to someone about the now-ubiquitous M1114 Humvee. If you look closely enough at M114 photos you're able to discern a quick turnaround of armor package opgrades going from pre-war M1114, to 2004 M1114, to 2006 M1114. Just yesterday I spotted previously unnoticed up-armored windshield frames!