Are US Infantry support weapons that wimpy?

I'm really gun-shy about moving my troops into cross-building firefights with Syrian soldiers or even uncons....

Seems like the US 203 launcher and even AT-4 are pretty wimpy. I try to get as many m-4's into proximity as possible so that I can burn through most of my ammo trying to kill like 4-5 enemy soldiers. The 203's get kills sporadically at best. They don't seem to fire the AT-4 at very close range, though.

I'm always hopeful I can get the RPG guy quickly before he fires a round that knocks down and kills or injures about 5 of my guys. Gee. I wonder if US grunts are this outgunned at slapping distance in "real life".

That are the same Toughts i had today. I had 3 Times that Much Soldiers in a 3 Store Building fighting enemy Forces with lower Experience. Yeah there where a Sniperteam over there but i:

Couldnt supress the enemy,

the M203 does nothing, same with LAW

I dont put US-Troops in a Handgun fight when there is a Sniper/RPG/Recoiless Rifle out there or i am 5:1 Times overheling them.

The Losses really hurt, exspecially in Campaign Games like TF Narwick.

Originally posted by Flanker15:

The HE shell for the RPG is quite a bit more powerful than the 40mm GL and the AT4 is a HEAT warhead so that won't have much effect on inf.

True the RPG has a thermobaric warhead that the AT4 doesn't. When I got out they were working on a bunker buster version of the AT4 that had much more HE effect. Anyone know if they ever put it into service? It should be about the same as the RPG.

Originally posted by Taki:

That are the same Toughts i had today. I had 3 Times that Much Soldiers in a 3 Store Building fighting enemy Forces with lower Experience. Yeah there where a Sniperteam over there but i:

Couldnt supress the enemy,

the M203 does nothing, same with LAW

I dont put US-Troops in a Handgun fight when there is a Sniper/RPG/Recoiless Rifle out there or i am 5:1 Times overheling them.

The Losses really hurt, exspecially in Campaign Games like TF Narwick.

Yeah, that's currently what I'm playing as well, which gives me the same impressions.

At one point I had about 4 squads firing on an enemy group of about 4-5 soldiers and even though the fireworks were impressive, it was damned hard to knock guys down even at close range.

Except for the enemy RPG guy who was raping my group, knocking down a half squad at a time everytime he fired.

I've had similar thoughts, RPGs are squad killing every time close up. They are definately the nemesis. One thing I would say about RPGs: from reading about Nasyria and Falluja, I would say that there doesn't seem to be as many inbound RPGs as in those battles, and I had wondered if there was some abstraction and balancing going on.

Agreed also about the M203 and AT4, they seem largely ineffective.

I don't know... After 2 and half minutes 36 US troops facing 36 syrian troops from distance of 150-200 meters and US did prevail. I did divine battle to 4 zones in which squad of US infantry faced squad of Syrians. Zones were bordered with tall walls so they could see just opponents which i placed at them. Each zone had similar building for US and Syria.

US dominated firefight right from the start in all zones. AT-4s proven to be great tools in atleast two zones, it delivered some casualities and wounded men to Syria. I can't say about other weapon systems but test showed that US owned Syria in this kind almost labratoryish conditions. Syria did fight back all the time, squad didn't become complitely useless at any point (but mostly men were hiding. But it's volume of fire wasn't nearly enough to fight with US's.

Ending results at 2 and half minutes were following:

US: 2 wounded, noone dead.

Syria: All squads lost atleast half of their men. if i remeber figures right it was 6 dead and 14-17 wounded + 2 did flee from battle.

Syrian setback was that two squads had poor leader (-2) and 2 squads had leadership zero (0), while US had one squad with good leader (+2) and 3 squads had leadership zero (0). Both had regular experience level. and fitness was good.

RPG-7s were pretty useless this time, They seemed to go miss mostly and gunners didn't last long.

EDIT: I encourage people to test and report... Mine test this time was very limited.

[ March 02, 2008, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Secondbrooks ]

At one point I had about 4 squads firing on an enemy group of about 4-5 soldiers and even though the fireworks were impressive, it was damned hard to knock guys down even at close range.
There still must be a underlining System how much Fire goes at a Point and then be calculated when the Guy is hit. Like in CMx1 Days.

Not every Bullet is calculated by the Comp and where it hits a Body it hurts isnt it? Its still a abstracted System of Fireout on a Square - Cover + Time = Casualtiys?

Its a bit anoying firing 2 Squads Full Fire on a Recoiless Rifle only supress them for 5 Seconds and then they fire back again.

Please Fix that Damageoutput of the M203 the LAW and other Weapons and add up some more Supression Time till Mine or Enemy Squads recover from Suppresion.

That would do alot!

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flanker15:

The HE shell for the RPG is quite a bit more powerful than the 40mm GL and the AT4 is a HEAT warhead so that won't have much effect on inf.

True the RPG has a thermobaric warhead that the AT4 doesn't. When I got out they were working on a bunker buster version of the AT4 that had much more HE effect. Anyone know if they ever put it into service? It should be about the same as the RPG. </font>

Originally posted by Flanker15:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flanker15:

True the RPG has a thermobaric warhead that the AT4 doesn't. When I got out they were working on a bunker buster version of the AT4 that had much more HE effect. Anyone know if they ever put it into service? It should be about the same as the RPG. </font>

All HE is overmodeled right now. As for the report that US infantry dominates at 150-200 meters, I find it accurate. The reason is the AKs are modeled as very poor against US body armor, and generally. To hurt US "turtles" the reds need HE weapons (RPGs, SPGs, tanks) or higher calibers (MGs, Dragonovs, 50s and 14.5mm HMGs, vehicle weapons). I've found the AK effective only when catching US infantry in the open inside 100 yards. Farther it pins, but the ammo runs out before any appreciable number of actual hits.