I'm tired

After nearly six years I feel a bit tired of the CM1 games. The graphics are outdated, and the engine is so out of time, that not even modern hardware let the game run smooth. With "modern" I mean a PC that runs for example Oblivion @ 1240x1024 resolution with full bells and wistles turned on without any problem. No way with CM. Surely not a fault of the programmer, the gameengine is just to old to make use of the hardware.

I'm have no idea what to expect from CM2. There are only few facts known, nothing about for me important things. Will it be 'we-go' or just another RTS title, and will it allow PBEM? Will it be available online from the US, or do I have to wait for the possibly censored German CDV-version once again?

All we frequently got is just a 'we will see', 'maybe' and 'it's ready when it's ready'.

Well, that's fine. But please understand that I possibly won't care about that game anymore when it's ready, since there seems to be nobody who cares about the dedicated gamers and paying customers anymore.

There are many other great games out there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, haven't had one of these for a while.

I have to ask though, what the holey sherman kind of scenarios are you running that the game isn't smooth?

I've never really noticed a problem unless I did something foolish like play that Stalingrad operation ("To the Volga!"?)

As for the salient points of the CMX2 engine, of which the first title is Combat Mission: Shock Force, plenty is known:

1) The game will run either in Real Time or as We-Go.

2) PBEM isn't ruled out or in. It will be in unless that is incompatible with other, more important features*.

3) Like the current slew of CMX1 games, it will be available online for all countries.

4) There may well be many great games out there. I've not yet seen, played or heard tell of one that's as good as CMX1, though.

5) Graphics are nice, but they hardly make or break a game.

6) "Dedicated gamers and paying customers"? If BF.C make the kind of uncomprimising game that CMX1 was, but updated for modern hardware/software/tea cosies, then I can pretty much guarantee that there will be plenty of customers to replace the whinging sour-krauts who storm off in a huff.

7) It's "when it's ready"

8) tongue.gif

* That is, important in the eyes of BF.C. Who, let's face it, know more about selling their games than anyone else.

flamingknives, no need to write down all the known 'facts', or shall I say the old vague rumours again.

Nice to see that there are still people who believe into CM, but this number is decreasing with each month. There will surely always be a group of dedicated fans like you, who will tell us all the time that CM is the best game out there. It's a unique game, but it's outdated anyway. Shall I repeat all critics again? I'm not up to.

Regarding graphics, some players may have big fun handling dry numbers. For those people, graphics are just eye candy. But I don't think that a few thousand people can keep BFC alive. I wish BFC good luck selling a game without keeping the interest alive.

[ May 12, 2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: KG_Leopard ]

Originally posted by KG_Leopard:

flamingknives, no need to write down all the known 'facts', or shall I say the old vague rumours again.

That is obvious now, especaily after reading a few of your prior posts, but your first message which stated -

I'm have no idea what to expect from CM2.
So he tooksyou at your word. Turns out he should not have. Oh well... :rolleyes:

I think it was annoying posts like this that kept the moderators busy as hell and made them step back. I think they made the correct decision. Step off the board and code and skin for a while and let it calm the hell down... because, seriously, they were spending/wasting TONS of time for a while with long detailed replies, moderating flamed

threads, locking threads etc. etc. etc. We'll hear something soon, very soon. It really shouldn't matter that much... get a job or go outside or something. Is there a german word for Troll? Trollische!?

After nearly six years I feel a bit tired of the CM1 games. The graphics are outdated, and the engine is so out of time, that not even modern hardware let the game run smooth. With "modern" I mean a PC that runs for example Oblivion @ 1240x1024 resolution with full bells and wistles turned on without any problem. No way with CM. Surely not a fault of the programmer, the gameengine is just to old to make use of the hardware.

Got any other games from six years ago that you still play on a regular basis?

As for the hardware, runs fine for me on a PII 350 with all graphic effects on.

I don't know what you're running, but I think you got screwed.

Personally, I don't think that "Vague rumours" is an accurate term for statements made by the design team. The first three points above are summaries of what the design team have stated.

Is CM the best game out there? In its genre, I would say yes. If you know of a better, let us all know. I say "in its genre", because comparing it with an FPS is nonsense. You might as well compare tuna and battered cod. They're both fish, but different enough that there can be no direct comparison.

In the graphics field, I wouldn't say that I "have big fun handling dry numbers" for example, I can't play TacOps. CMX1 is far enough removed from 'dry numbers' for me to enjoy it. Furthermore, I would rather have CMX1 with bad graphics than the prettiest graphics in the world based on Eric Young's "Squad Assault"

As and when CM:SF comes along, there will doubtless be the diehards remaining, but presumably a host of newbies will also appear, asking how to take screenshot and whose grass mod is that?

CMBO was still selling after CMAK was released, which, to me, speaks volumes of it's longevity. Added to which that CMX1 got its reputation by word of mouth, not showy screenshots and advertising campaigns. There seems no need to follow the industry norm, and BF.C have a history of not doing so.

I'd rather have the game in two months rather than in three but with some screenshots now or even worse, lots of pretty pictures and no game.

Originally posted by Lars:

AMD X2-4200+ with a Geforce 7800GT, 1GB Ram.

Maybe it's a good idea to seek the garbage dump for a PII 350 to run CM smooth again :D

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

AMD X2-4200+ with a Geforce 7800GT, 1GB Ram.

Maybe it's a good idea to seek the garbage dump for a PII 350 to run CM smooth again :D </font>

I think the frustration may come in part from the fact that Battlefront has a forum where they keep their customers informed. This inevitably builds enthusiasm and when something takes a bit longer to develop than first anticipated, disappointment sets in. I'm not one of those disappointed people, but it sounds like KG_Leapord is. I suppose this is understandable to an extent, but again, it comes from a company that makes an attempt to keep the public informed as much as they possibly can.

I wouldn't blow-off BFC because it's taking a bit longer than expected to see the end product. Gaming software always takes longer to finish than the developer anticipates. It's not just BFC. Just check some other things out in the meantime and when it's ready, give it a look.

I think these forums are great for more reasons than one. Some people's expectations will be built up by, what are commonly referred to in this forum as, "bones".

Have patience.

We have been told so many times before that BFC is dead, CM is dead, this forum is dead, and everybody is gone and not interested anymore in what we do, that I couldn't count it anymore even if I tried.

Truth is: what counts in the end is the game once it's done. And nothing else.

Because of this, what should be the most normal thing on earth (developer focusses on making the game) seems like a "unique PR strategy" to some, I guess, that are used to how other publishers do things (marketing, marketing, marketing... what game?)

This forum has now nearly 30,000 posts, so it's not like we're not trying our best to keep the unwashed masses... err... I mean, the dedicated fans informed. A wealth of information has been given here by Steve. But like always, there are highs and there are lulls, and usually it's during the lulls on the forum that work is being done. A game does not get made by talking about it alone smile.gif

In some ways, we're closer to completion than many here probably think; in others, we're miles away if you expect the usual marketing crap from us like pretty pictures and game trailers. Stuff like this, which probably takes the majority of a whole department with the big label developers, is simply not something we regard with any priority. For one, because we're a small team, so we have to cut some corners somewhere; for two, because unlike many other games which are 90% about marketing and 10% about the game, we usually focus on the latter first, and add the pretty stuff LAST.

The result of this is that there is very little to show to the outside world, until we get to the last 10-20%. Well, unless you'd like some screenshots and trailers of code running down the screen in a Matrix-like fashion. Just blondes and brunettes... smile.gif

Martin

It's going to be very much like that, Peter, especially because we're not only building a single game (for now nearly 3 years!), but a whole game engine with a lot flexibility built in to allow us to create the actual games (ww2, modern...) later on much quicker. This means a lot of work right now going into it that later will not need to be repeated.

Martin

My take on this situation has been for weeks now, that "hey they're running behind their predicted time frame, but they've always done that, so any further worrying is without basis."

Now personally, I wish there was someway to not have the predictions be missed every time, but hey, every game developer I've seen does it.