Small bug with targeting

skelley

It seems that if a squad leader is seriously wounded and the rest of the squad moves on without tending to him, the next time you target the path is drawn from the wounded team leader. Doesn't affect game play because it still gives you a yellow target line to target, just bringing it to your attention.

I have no clue how to post a pic or I would.

This is not really a bug, rather an inherent limitation of Squads. What is going on here is this...

A Squad consists of 2-3 Teams, in this case 3 Teams. There is only one point from which to draw LOS/LOF, otherwise a Squad would behave (from a UI standpoint) as multiple Teams. In this case one Team is wiped out, another is pinned, and the third is mobile. The LOS line correctly reflects that you can get LOS to the specified target, but only with some of the Squad. In this case C Team. It doesn't look right only because B Team is considered the center point because it is the middle of the three teams organizationally.

The alternative would be for Charles to code it so that the LOS/LOF line comes only from a mobile team in the event the default start point is pinned down. I don't think this is a good idea, though, because it now starts to be a bit inconsistent as to where the line will originate form, and I think that will cause more confusion. This situation we see here is pretty extreme.

Steve

2 teams are actually dead or gravely wounded. Look at the box that gives the activity of the squad members. 6 of them are red disk wounded, but the heartless bastard I am I just moved my remaining 3 members on without giving medical attention to the 6 wounded to make them disappear

Originally posted by Battlefront:

Seems like an issue of just needing to draw the LOS line from a more "sensible choice" of team, when the teams of a squad are separated.

The underlying simulation is working correctly here, so this is just a user interface issue that could be clearer. I will fix it in v1.06.

Is it possible to have a LOF line from each squad member? One target point but many LOF lines going towards it.

Yeoch... that would look kinda ugly :D I'm not sure what value that would have, though, since you can't move around individual guys to affect improvements. So to me this is one of those suggestions that isn't bad in and of itself, but it starts to blur the line between a unit based game and an individual based game a wee bit too much. CMx2 simulates individual men, but you're supposed to be focused on the unit still.

Steve

Apparently the icon is not just there empty.

What is happening is that 3 soldier simply refuse to move!!!!

The whole platoon was given a Quick order(picture 1). They all move but 3 soldiers from these 2 squads wont move. no matter what(picture 2).

Image 3 shows the platoon. The icons of the squads with the stuck teams in the middle. And the stubborn teams in the background.

It happens in all missions I play now in 1.05.

----

bug1.jpg

--

bug2.jpg

--

bug3.jpg

[ December 15, 2007, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Originally posted by Webwing:

Apparently the icon is not just there empty.

What is happening is that 3 soldier simply refuse to move!!!!

The whole platoon was given a Quick order(picture 1). They all move but 3 soldiers from these 2 squads wont move. no matter what(picture 2).

Pretty nuts that this bug is still around. It's fairly game breaking when towards the end of a larger scenario, a number of my squads are rendered useless.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yeoch... that would look kinda ugly :D I'm not sure what value that would have, though, since you can't move around individual guys to affect improvements. So to me this is one of those suggestions that isn't bad in and of itself, but it starts to blur the line between a unit based game and an individual based game a wee bit too much. CMx2 simulates individual men, but you're supposed to be focused on the unit still.

Steve

I'm a simple kinda guy. I thought lots of guys shooting, lots of lines, one squad to be given orders, one target cursor.

Look in my ear, you can almost see the cogs moving, very, very slowly.

[ December 15, 2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Other Means ]

Webwing,

Yeah, that looks like a stuck soldier problem. If you could, please email me the save game of this happening and we'll look into pronto.

steve@battlefront.com

Steve

Sent!

Only one thing.

This save game is part of a campaign I'm working on that is still being tested.

So you will have to agree to the NDA I'm sending along with the save file.

Please sign and send it back. :D:D

Now seriously, thanks for looking into this and good luck.

---

Webwing,

Yeah, that looks like a stuck soldier problem. If you could, please email me the save game of this happening and we'll look into pronto.

steve@battlefront.com

Steve

Steve,

I could of sworn that I posted a screenshot of that type of situation in the Skunkworks.

Edit: Yep I just checked and it is posted in the version 1.05 Final Candidate #7 thread.

[ December 15, 2007, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: JohnO ]