Will somebody finally clarify air gaurd.

thewood

I still have my two knuckleheads sticking their heads up under withering fire. They are the first people killed in almost every battle. I have tried open up for both Stryker and squad. What is really supposed to happen and what am I doing wrong?

Also noticed ammo does not reset in replay. Oh well, maybe 1.06.

On a brighter note, Strykers finally seem to fire back on their own initiative when under fire from infantry units. They are still brick stupid when encountering real armor.

Someone discovered recently (can't remember who) that the air guard hatches on Recce Strykers actually open and close in some circumstances. The open/close command doesn't do it, however. All it proves is that there is some animation in the game to open and close the Recce Stryker hatches but that this isn't being used. It looks like the air guard hatches should be utilised on all models of Stryker using the open/close command but the game hasn't been "finished" and so the functionality isn't there yet.

Sadly, I think there is no way you can get them to save themselves and close the damned hatches. This is really too bad as, guaranteed, you will have those two guys get shot up if they encounter any kind of serious firepower.

This is especially annoying when it comes to IEDs, as some of the seemingly unavoidable IEDs on the Al Shamas (or whatever it is) level on the main campaign really devastate the two guys with their heads up, even from a considerable distance away.

Under what conditions would the "air guard" want to be buttoned? My main source on Iraq is Colby Buzzell, not sure what folks who have been there think of him, but it seems as though, even in the most intense fighting, the air guard was through the hatches.

I would like the option to button them as well, just asking.

Edit: my thinking is that their immediate deaths under any kind of fire are another example of the damage / accuracy model.

Frankly the very idea that they would sit there taking fire is ridiculous, and seeing as Bradleys operate without an airgaurd it cant be THAT vital!

Surely if you have vehicles sat at 500 meters+ but you are taking small arms fire your guys would seek cover in the bus, the only way you could take casualties in that scenario is if your boys were dumb and kept thier heads up!

Why hasnt BFC made a coment on this.....come on guys, give us the info!!!

Why would you button up the sentries? When they will die by being up there.

The purpose of them isn't in question here (essentially an aid to spotting), the concern is that a squad can be killed one at a time in rapid succession as they keep popping up to replace each other.

When you tell a vehicle to button up, it should include the exposed troops, otherwise what is the point? An APC/IFV should protect the infantry, but the way it is now, you may as well dismount them as it is virtually the same risk.

All we are looking for is a comment on the lemming like death of a mounted squad and if it will be changed so we can button them up, or at least have them stop popping up.

Last night I wanted to blow a hole through a low wall and then drive four Strykers (carrying an infantry platoon) through the gap. The Strykers got a little closer to the wall than I'd intended, but I thought "No big deal - I'll just button them up and then let the tank open up and blast the hole." So I gave the 'button up' command, and then gave the M1 an 'area target' command on the part of the wall I wanted to cease to exist.

Know what happened? You guessed it. M1 opened fire, took out the wall, and every idiot sitting there with his head sticking out of the top of a Stryker immediately bought some farmland. :rolleyes:

Just now, two of my Strykers got too close to one of my own barrages and each lost one sentry. Not sure if it makes a difference but they didn't seem to care.

The barrage was canceled and I thought it done, I was wrong (after canceling it, it lasted another 5 turns). They just happened to be the last casualties of the scenario as the Syrians surrendered 2 turns later, damn them.