Hallowed is thy name Peng, as is thy challenge

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lars:

Mmm, shooting crows…could there be anything more fun? Well, shooting crows drunk, of course, but that rather goes without saying. Tell him I'll bring the $20 when they open up cormorants again.

Hope you brought a fishing rod on the Rum, some good smallmouth action in there. Nice little wee river. I'm sure the hordes of Cub Scouts that train on it for their graduation to Webelo eventually found and rescued you.

I actually saw some very nice size bass in the water as my kayak ghosted over them. Impressive.

And yes, it is a 'wee river'. But by the third 'get the kayaks past the multiple obstructions' encounter that 'wee river' would have dropped your drunken, out of shape arse to the bottom of the channel with a coronary.

Oh, and I left my copy of the first season of 'Rome' at your house. You better have been watching it, Bucky. Because I'm going to want it back soon.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Or from a certain Aussie bugger called Stuka-Nuka-Puka-Pants who owes me a turn!!!

Oh yeah, thats roight.....

now where is that turn.... must be around here someplace.... maybe in the back of my truck.... i'll go check....

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Oh, and I left my copy of the first season of 'Rome' at your house. You better have been watching it, Bucky. Because I'm going to want it back soon.

Watched it all, it was surprisingly excellent.

When you going to loan me the second season?

But by the third 'get the kayaks past the multiple obstructions' encounter that 'wee river' would have dropped your drunken, out of shape arse to the bottom of the channel with a coronary.

Wishful thinking, Bard.

Check your email and send a turn.

Steve

<big><big>INTERVIEW WITH A PREVIEW!</big></big>

THE 14TH PODCAST IS UP!

And don't I wish I could have just interviewed the Preview, instead I had to talk to rune ... AND NGCascout ... the things I do for the Peng Challenge Thread.

But it was recorded live as it happened and it was all about the CMSF Preview rune hosted in his home.

http://pengchallenge.blogspot.com/

Joe

From the Gollum thread . . . a nice trip down memory lane . . .

Originally posted by Abbott:

Is there anything more fun then having Jehovah's Witness knocking at your door?

Having a pair of them show up (an elder and one in training) at the door of your very laid back, hippy-ish Biblical Literature professor.

Dr. Frank invited them in, offering them a glass of wine. The Elder Jehovah's Witness politely refused, but looked a little uncomfortable.

The Jehovah's Witnesses then sat on the living room couch and began their work.

They explained that Dr. Frank needed to become a Jehovah's Witness to avoid going to Hell.

I liked his bemused reaction.

I also liked the part when the Jehovah's Witnesses began explaining certain passages in the Bible to Dr. Frank.

Dr. Frank said he thought their interpretation was a little off, and that the Jehovah's Witnesses should check their English translation of the passage against the original Greek.

By this time, the Elder Jehovah's Witness begins to look a little nervous (more so than he did when he politely declined the glass of wine).

The capper was when Dr. Frank pulled out his study Bible (yes, in the original Greek), and begins a short presentation about the passage in question, explaining the actual meaning of the words used in the original Greek passage and patiently explaining why the Jehovah's Witnesses have incorrectly interpreted the passage.

Really, it was as though he were describing a very basic principle of theology to a rather dull student (or average Oddstraylyun, but I repeat myself).

The Elder Jehovah's Witness was off the couch by now, pulling at the sleeve of the younger man, insisting that they had to Leave.Right.Now.

Meanwhile, the younger guy was asking Dr. Frank where to get a copy of "one of them Greek-style bibles?"

The Elder Jehovah's Witness finally dragged the younger man out of the house. We watched him rebuke the younger man as they walked down the street. He didn't stop talking -- he was still going at it when they rounded the corner and headed off to the next block.

They didn't stop at any more houses on Dr. Frank's block -- too dangerous, I presume.

Memories.

Steve

[ June 27, 2007, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by Stuka:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Or from a certain Aussie bugger called Stuka-Nuka-Puka-Pants who owes me a turn!!!

Oh yeah, thats roight.....

now where is that turn.... must be around here someplace.... maybe in the back of my truck.... i'll go check.... </font>

Originally posted by Stuka:

You'll have to wait a wee bit longer there Boopsie, I'm orf for a 4 day Scuba diving trip to Oman..

Toodles.....

The guy just gets back from a 6 week vacation and now he's going scuba-ing for 4 days.

WELL, LA-DE-FECKING-DA, DOC "DON'T BOTHER CALLIN', CUZ I'LL BE ON" HOLIDAY!!!11!!11!1ONE!

(The only thing that makes me feel even slightly OK with all this is that his vacations take place in places like Oddstraylya and Oman)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bauhaus:

Plus I'm spending my summer vacation planning lessons, reading, and planning classroom management for the upcoming school year. That alone is going to take me the bulk of the summer.

Now piss off you lot!

I already knew you were working at being able to not simply 'do', but also the much more difficult 'teach'. Will this be your first year teaching? Because if it's not your first year, then you're a whinging little big girl's blouse.

But if it is your first year, you bugger, then good luck to you, and you probably will need the entire summer (what with having the whole 'family' baggage...).

And for anyone who hasn't played Bauhaus, he's a fiendishly stupid and yet successful opponent. I don't know how he does it. Every move he makes looks like idiocy. And then he wins. I still wake up screaming, sometimes.

As for anything else; well, let me just say this, Bauhaus. Stand up!

You're going to teach. I salute you. </font>

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Having a pair of them show up (an elder and one in training) at the door of your very laid back, hippy-ish Biblical Literature professor.

Memories.

Steve

Humorous. Years ago, when I was a much younger creature, over the summer I went to visit my then girlfriend in her home town, Platteville, Wisconsin. Yes, it is every bit as dull a place as it sounds.

She came from what we could only describe as a family of 'Religious Professionals'. Her Father was a Reverend who'd given up his church in order to get a teaching degree, and was teaching Religion at the University of Wisconsin (Platteville). She had three older brothers, one who was in the Seminary, one who had just graduated from college and was about to begin at a Seminary, and another who was getting his BA in religion.

On Saturday afternoon, during my visit, she, I and her oldest brother were chatting amiably in the living room, and the doorbell rang. He went to answer it, and standing there was a young, cheerful, somewhat vapid looking 16 year old girl.

She said 'Hi! Could I talk to you about our Saviour, Jesus Christ?'

He smiled and responded 'Yes, if you'd like'.

And she said 'Do you believe that Jesus was the Son of God?'

He replied, and I have to admit that I can only paraphrase, all these years later 'Well, I guess it depends a great deal on whether you believe that Jesus was spirit, flesh, or...' and then he headed off into the intellectual blue of spiritual erotica.

She listened to him for several minutes, blinking diffidently and looking more uncertain and out of her depth by the second, and finally, when he paused politely for a reply, she said 'I think I'd better go get our senior coordinator'.

She scurried off, and returned a few minutes later with a guy in his 40s, who looked slightly puzzled, and after a few minutes of conversation with the Seminary student from an academic family, took her gently by the shoulder and led her away, saying 'I think we should just assume that this house knows about God.'

I can't even describe it as cool as it happened.

It totally beats the hell out of my normal approach, which is to simply tell them 'Jesus?! He never loved me. Oh, he says he loves me, but some Saviours will say anything to get you into Heaven. I'm not that kind of sinner.'

Originally posted by bauhaus:

If you noticed, I didn't include Joe Shaw in this list.

Luckily he continued to send turns, though it was weeks in between.

Ah, you remind me. I haven't spoken with Joe in a while. The most of you piddlers, avert your eyes. Your Betters are going to talk over the tops of your heads.

SHAW! I demand an accounting of your stewardship, here, in this vile and vulgar place!

For the enlightenment of those too fecking stupid, drunk, or clueless, let me remind you of The Compact. The agreement between you, the Justicar, and the Olde Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread.

The Compact clearly states that you shall have the right to pontificate, carry on like a dementia afflicted nursing home resident, befoul yourself while bemoaning the fact that no one understands the troubles you've seen, demand accountability from people that I'd simply run my car over rather than talk to, and posture like a cut-rate pope with a mitre bigger than Satan's... sins.

And take with you to the grave the title Justicar of the Peng Challenge Thread.

In return for this grant of powers/personal affliction, you have made Compact with the Olde Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread.

You have repeatedly assured us that 'You stand on guard for the Peng Challenge Thread'. How very nice. I'm sure that, somewhere, there's entire groups of Guardian Spirits, Temple Dogs and Landvaettir doing handsprings and forming pyramids in celebration of your diligence.

You've required Rules, insisted on Challenges, Monitored, Policed and Imposed Coventry. You've studied the Heraldry of the Peng Challenge Thread to the point of actually creating it. You have maintained hierarchies that would make the fascistic feudalism of Heaven look anarchic.

You have measured applicants with calipers, and gone mad and foaming in private emails, asking to be released from the burden of Believing in the Thread.

You're pretty much completely insane, at this point. If you were a pet I owned, I'd have you put down, just to be kind.

And now, in return for the Vast Powers That We Have Afflicted You With, you must acknowledge your allegiance, and fulfill the duties of The Compact.

You must tender a list of all Malefactors, with recommendations. You must report on the State of the Thread. You must acknowledge that you shall acknowledge no authority before that of the Olde Ones, and commit an act of serious Weirdness in acknowledgment of that fact, as well as to acknowledge that the word 'acknowledge' has been used excessively.

Also, you need to sing me a song. You know how I love songs. Or a poem. I am a lackadaisical and forgiving figure of Despotism.

We are not always with you, Joe. But know that the Olde Ones sit eternally in the Wasteland. Chivy the sheep on towards us. The constantly approaching horizon of idiocy and creation keeps us up and doing.

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Watched it all, it was surprisingly excellent.

When you going to loan me the second season? </font>

You know, it occurs to me, as I berate Lars and revile Dalem, while emailing Peng and talking to Berli on the phone between cursing you all, that the Combat Mission Forum and the Peng Challenge Thread has filled me with the desire to make that grand old Scottish toast:

"Here's tae us; wha's like us? Damn few, and they're a' deid"

Goodnight, and may flights of angels fly up you bums, tickling your prostate glands and causing you all to give a high-pitched titter of pretended discomfort.

Except for the Ladies of the 'Pool, of course.

And goodnight to you, Minnesota Joe, wherever you are.

Do you know, if it weren't for the fact that you have a boat on the Big Lake, and live near the Meat Palace, and you married well, and that there's always hot women around your place that are related to your wife, and that you're the Gary Shandling of Minnesota, as well as being a damn good host, me and the rest of the Minnesota Miscreants wouldn't have a fecking thing to do with an idjit like you who lives in the arse end of nowhere?

Well, duh…

You don't have to beg for an invite for the 4th you know. Just pack up the troops and come on over.

On second thought, beg. The Meat Palace is probably having a sale.

[ June 29, 2007, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bauhaus:

If you noticed, I didn't include Joe Shaw in this list.

Luckily he continued to send turns, though it was weeks in between.

Ah, you remind me. I haven't spoken with Joe in a while. The most of you piddlers, avert your eyes. Your Betters are going to talk over the tops of your heads.

SHAW! I demand an accounting of your stewardship, here, in this vile and vulgar place!

For the enlightenment of those too fecking stupid, drunk, or clueless, let me remind you of The Compact. The agreement between you, the Justicar, and the Olde Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread.

The Compact clearly states that you shall have the right to pontificate, carry on like a dementia afflicted nursing home resident, befoul yourself while bemoaning the fact that no one understands the troubles you've seen, demand accountability from people that I'd simply run my car over rather than talk to, and posture like a cut-rate pope with a mitre bigger than Satan's... sins.

And take with you to the grave the title Justicar of the Peng Challenge Thread.

In return for this grant of powers/personal affliction, you have made Compact with the Olde Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread.

You have repeatedly assured us that 'You stand on guard for the Peng Challenge Thread'. How very nice. I'm sure that, somewhere, there's entire groups of Guardian Spirits, Temple Dogs and Landvaettir doing handsprings and forming pyramids in celebration of your diligence.

You've required Rules, insisted on Challenges, Monitored, Policed and Imposed Coventry. You've studied the Heraldry of the Peng Challenge Thread to the point of actually creating it. You have maintained hierarchies that would make the fascistic feudalism of Heaven look anarchic.

You have measured applicants with calipers, and gone mad and foaming in private emails, asking to be released from the burden of Believing in the Thread.

You're pretty much completely insane, at this point. If you were a pet I owned, I'd have you put down, just to be kind.

And now, in return for the Vast Powers That We Have Afflicted You With, you must acknowledge your allegiance, and fulfill the duties of The Compact.

You must tender a list of all Malefactors, with recommendations. You must report on the State of the Thread. You must acknowledge that you shall acknowledge no authority before that of the Olde Ones, and commit an act of serious Weirdness in acknowledgment of that fact, as well as to acknowledge that the word 'acknowledge' has been used excessively.

Also, you need to sing me a song. You know how I love songs. Or a poem. I am a lackadaisical and forgiving figure of Despotism.

We are not always with you, Joe. But know that the Olde Ones sit eternally in the Wasteland. Chivy the sheep on towards us. The constantly approaching horizon of idiocy and creation keeps us up and doing. </font>