How to detect cliffs or impassable terrain in general ?

Is there a way to clearly identify cliffs in CMSF ? (in order to avoid surprises with path finding in mountain terrain)

In CM1X I used to copy the scenario map and use it as a topomap. In CM2x, the granularity of the terrain makes this unreadable.

Once you've played enough you can visually identify impassible terrain. When you attempt to plot a waypoint through impassible terrain the cursor will also let you know. Just drag the cursor over the intended path of the vehicle to check for impassible terrain.

I used to think so, Pvt. Ryan, but in the current email QB game I'm playing, the cursor indicated that a lengthy section of fairly sheer cliff was passable--so I wasted a couple of turns until I discovered that the cursor was not accurate in this case and the rock was impassable. Mark Ezra has sent this problem to BF, but it is also occuring in 1.08 (same QB). Note in the pic below my troops (red circle) at the bottom of the rock face are being told by the cursor (white circle) that I can climb up there---but I can't.

2965208490100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

How can you "occupy" terrain that you can't get to?

Also, same problem with vehicles--cursor shows that the vehicles can pass over the terrain, but they can't when I try it.

EDIT: Oh, wait--you meant that if I held the cursor over passable terrain it would be green but wouldn't indicate that you can't reach that spot. I understand that. But note that the cursor is suggesting I can get to a spot 2/3's up the sheer rock face--on the rock itself--and that isn't possible.

Mark Ezra said they couldn't get to this on this revision--so it is something to look out for.

[ April 05, 2008, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: RuhrRiver ]

What I reported to BFC:

large increments above 5 meters (like 10) correctly show impassable. Increments of say 6-7 plus meters do not. This is NOT about a stretch of ground 5 or less meters surrounded by steep grade.

Here are some pics

noclimb.jpg

noClimb1.jpg

NoClimb2.jpg

[ April 05, 2008, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: MarkEzra ]

Originally posted by RuhrRiver:

Thank you for that clarification, Mark. But how do you explain this screen shot from my upcoming scenario: "Mission: Take Everest!" (from the "Totally Lost" series)? Isn't the cursor committing a cruel deception by indicating that they can in fact summit Sagarmatha?

2038454310100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

"OK men, we're going to take the easier South route."

"Pff. Bound to be mined Leftenant."

Should infantry be able to scale that slope? (No not RuhrRiver's the ones in MarkE's post.)

I think they could (slowly) get up there if their lives depended on it (which they might).

There's no really sheer cliff at this height because there is always a slope from one map tile center to the next map tile center. So a 6m rise over a 8m run with a broken rocky face is not an insurmountable challenge. You would be useless for combat while you were doing it. Anyone know what doctrine would be about scaling slopes? The Taliban could probably haul 5 recoilless rifles and 4 donkeys up there to set up an ambush, but the US would be separated from their vehicles.

Originally posted by RuhrRiver:

Thank you for that clarification, Mark. But how do you explain this screen shot from my upcoming scenario: "Mission: Take Everest!" (from the "Totally Lost" series)? Isn't the cursor committing a cruel deception by indicating that they can in fact summit Sagarmatha?

2038454310100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

LOL....Ya got me

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Should infantry be able to scale that slope? (No not RuhrRiver's the ones in MarkE's post.)

I think they could (slowly) get up there if their lives depended on it (which they might).

There's no really sheer cliff at this height because there is always a slope from one map tile center to the next map tile center. So a 6m rise over a 8m run with a broken rocky face is not an insurmountable challenge. You would be useless for combat while you were doing it. Anyone know what doctrine would be about scaling slopes? The Taliban could probably haul 5 recoilless rifles and 4 donkeys up there to set up an ambush, but the US would be separated from their vehicles.

I agree...troops should be able to move up say 7 or 8 meter differences, Vehicle stay at the current 5... It is important that terrain remaim impassable (a VERY necessarry scen design tool) I just think we can do this a little better.