No Friendly Fire?

I just did a few tests to see if it was possible for units to hurt friendlies. On Elite mode, with two squads area firing at each other at less than 100m range, there is absolutely no suppression effect or casualties possible. Grenades explode right amongst the men and the effect is zero.

I think this is a great pity. In CMx1 I'm pretty sure that you could cause casualties to your own side with area fire. Not so it seems in CMx2. Without such effects, I don't see how it is really possible to properly simulate modern warfare, in which units have to be careful to avoid each others' fire lanes when conducting an attack.

oh.. no friendly fire? it was nice to see in cmbb when light was low how own troops made identification errors and accidentally fired friendly troops... You notice how a Mashinegun slowly turns against nearby friendly squad and at the last minute men behind the mashinegun realize that there are no enemies only friendlies :D

Originally posted by birdstrike:

Yes, explosions definitely kill own troops, small arms fire doesn't.

I've had Stryker 12.7mm and 40mm area fires at a building face simultaneous with an infantry squad "Quick" moving into the same building face. No friendly casualties, no friendly suppression. Allows for some rather gamey tactics.

Things that go boom, like tank rounds, airstrikes, arty, and ATGMs definitely can hurt friendlies. Don't know about AT-4s, RPGs, or grenades.

I noticed a similar oddity in CM1 with flame throwers. You could torch bad guys, with friendlies in the same room unaffected, unless the building itself caught fire.

I think small arms friendly fire has been turned off because blue on blue incidents would be too high due to the way the soldiers in a squad position themselves. MMG teams in particular often seem to have the ammo carriers kneeling directly in front of the MG!

Whilst I know it is not entirely realistic to order friendly squads to fire at each other, I do think the game should simulate small arms friendly fire to some degree. The game goes to the trouble of tracking every single bullet so this should be possible. For some reason BFC seem to have disabled it rather than fix the problem of soldiers being positioned incorrectly.

Perhaps the game should automatically stop fire when it is obviously going to hit friendlies. For instance, if a fire lane passes through a visible friendly unit, the first couple of hits are discounted and instead fire is turned off. If the unit the fire lane passes through is too far away or not known to the unit, the fire continues, causing friendly casualties and suppression until C2 kicks in to stop it.

[ September 13, 2007, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

By now I only played the demo, but playing US side one stryker left about 200-300 meters behind started blasting away at somenthing. As none of my units saw enemy, and there even was no question marks I guess it must've been shooting at my infantry advancing through the oarchard. So I guess that friendly fire works. Unfortunately I don't know if there were any casualties.

Another interesting type of battlefield mistakes simulated by game could be false contacts, especially in low-light conditions, or friendly fire the other way - when soldiers misidentify enemy, and think that they are friendlies. This could often happen in uncons vs uncons scenarios, where everyone looks quite the same. Think of the chaos:)

In training mission 3, I had one squad approaching the village by moving aside the right wall.

Another javelin squad was assigned to breach the wall (target command). Instead of using the missle, the tried it with rifle fire. That didn't work, but the ricochets took harvest among my first squad. That was impressing.

In the same mission, the heavy MG loader placed himself right in front the barrel but didn't die.