Multi-player campaigns?

I think it is very important to include an editor for campaigns especially because they are single player.

If this is the way most new players will experience combat mission, it should be a priority to allow the community to enrich the experience for all. Personally I think it is more important to allow user-made campaigns than two player campaigns.

I am of the understanding that custom scenarios and quick battles are still a big part of the game. Seems odd to allow this but castrate the campaigns by allowing them to be finished! CM has never had anything in it that could actually be finished, which I think is a big reason for the game's longevity. The game is only finished when you finally get sick of playing it, not for lack of new battles to play.

There will be no campaign editor. It simply isn't on our development schedule, nor will it be. I also don't see the connection between the need for one and single player. The two things have no relationship to each other.

Seems odd to allow this but castrate the campaigns by allowing them to be finished!
Most games out there have limited campaigns and no scenarios at all. We could do that if you like :D

The game is only finished when you finally get sick of playing it, not for lack of new battles to play
Sure, that hasn't changed a bit. People can make Quick Battles and their own scenarios forever and ever. Never a way to finish the GAME. Campaigns, sure, but that isn't the same thing.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yes, it is on the list for sure.

We are not planning on making a campaign editor. The means of making a campaign are instead text based and precompiled. If we decided to allow other people to make campaigns we could build a small tool that would take a user created text file, purge it of boo-boos, then spit out a campaign file. This same process could be used to allow for two player support.

Honestly, I hope we do support user made campaigns. And if we do, I don't see why we should purposefully block them from being two player. It's just this support won't be a part of the actual release and I don't know when we might get to making the tool and writing up the documentation. That's not for me to decide :D

Steve

Wonderful news! I enjoy creating scenarios (and soon campaigns) as much as I enjoy playing the game. With the smaller tiles for the map editor and modules CM2 is sounding fabulous! Where do I send my check?

Yes, it is on the list for sure.

We are not planning on making a campaign editor. The means of making a campaign are instead text based and precompiled. If we decided to allow other people to make campaigns we could build a small tool that would take a user created text file, purge it of boo-boos, then spit out a campaign file. This same process could be used to allow for two player support.

Honestly, I hope we do support user made campaigns. And if we do, I don't see why we should purposefully block them from being two player. It's just this support won't be a part of the actual release and I don't know when we might get to making the tool and writing up the documentation. That's not for me to decide :D

Steve

Wonderful news! I enjoy creating scenarios (and soon campaigns) as much as I enjoy playing the game. With the smaller tiles for the map editor and modules CM2 is sounding fabulous! Where do I send my check?

There will be no campaign editor.

Steve

Err...am I confused?

Why yes, yes I believe you are. Have you considered a CM2 therapist to help answer some of those nagging questions?

Modules will introduce new stuff like units, terrain, scenarios, and yup... campaigns. Though unlike "scenario packs" from other companies, the emphasis will be on the extension of game capabilities (i.e. terrain, units, etc) rather than scenarios/campaigns. The latter will simply be there to showcase the new stuff and to add to the storyline (whatever it might be from game to game).

Steve

Steve,

I am a big fan of the idea of the single player campaigns and how you explain they will work. The single player game needs a boast as for me, and many will differ with this, the single player game has been dead for too long. Once human v human came along I have not bothered with single player, but am keen to give it a go again.

However…. even though there will not be a formal editor, allowing us to get into the text to somehow build campaigns ourselves is important, in my view. Without the flow of new campaigns their use will die very quickly. Player designed scenarios/campaigns are the life blood of CM.

The concept is great, will breath life into single player CM, but do allow us to build our own campaigns even if it is “messy” ;) .

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

PS. May come in a patch of course.