Arabic Language Grog Question

In the past CM has modelled languages very well for the various nationalities. Will CM-SF continue the same tread- especially as it relates to Arabic?

Particularly, I am wondering whether Arab sound files will use Classic Arabic or will the more correct Levantine Arabic dialect be used for the Syrians? And, will there be other Arabic dialects incorporated for the game (e.g. Iraqi, Arabic Peninsular)?

With Arabic there are dramatic differences between the various dialects- including entirely different words used to convey the same idea. Normal speech between members of the same region would not rely on Classic Arabic for discussions (for several reasons).

And, I won't even ask about you being able to pull a Kurdish speaker out of your back pocket (if you can, however, we definitely need to talk...).

Also, congrats on your new project BFC; I am interested to see this one released and firmly believe that you have made the right business decisions on the product. (unlike many on this forum who I have no idea where they find the time to continously post their complaints and handle real-life at the same time).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Soddball:

Al-lah Akhbar!

Figures, my first post to the CM2x or the CMSF forum, and I attract a Soddball! Better watch it- or us 'Mericans will come back for a second visit. Also- the English spelling is 'Allah'. Now, you could really impress me with using Arabic letters on the forum..... tongue.gif

And, I guess an answer from BFC will only be inshallah.

Originally posted by Dillweed:

Hey, I got an idea, lets try to not all be ignorant! Just once, please.

Who was being ignorant? I detected sarcasm, and heaven forbid a bit of wit (not from me of course), but ignorance? You may learn Dillpickle, that calling names makes you enemies, and accusing ignorance is a great way to start.

Hey, I never call names.

'Sides it would really break me up if a bunch of middle-aged losers didn't like me smile.gif

Dillpickle? Dad used to call me the same thing.

Plan on posibly studying Arabic myself when I get to a good school in a year or two. If it looks like world intrest in the region will last longer than the oil (which it in fact may not) that is.

I believe the correct rendering is Allahu Aqbar. The "L" sound in Allah is elongated, maybe that's what the fellow meant by the "Al-l..."

Technically, I believe, it means "greatest God", but is often translated idiomatically as "God is great".

And to contribute, I think some good Arabic in this game would be a very nice contribution to gameplay. Although I have no idea which dialect would be best, as I have only studied classical Arabic.

Actually, it would be Allahu Akbar, (God is greater/the greatest) with a kaf not a qaf. Allahu Aqbar might mean something like ''God is a bunch of capers.'' Allahu Akhbar means God is News, which I think is a noble sentiment but not, unfortunately, what I imagine folks would exclaim on the battlefield.

Sorry for the pedantry, but I don't get that many chances to be a grog on this forum.

Originally posted by nijis:

Actually, it would be Allahu Akbar, (God is greater/the greatest) with a kaf not a qaf. Allahu Aqbar might mean something like ''God is a bunch of capers.'' Allahu Akhbar means God is News, which I think is a noble sentiment but not, unfortunately, what I imagine folks would exclaim on the battlefield.

Sorry for the pedantry, but I don't get that many chances to be a grog on this forum.

Oops, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction. Time to dig out the flash cards.

Originally posted by Preserved Killick:

I believe the correct rendering is Allahu Aqbar. The "L" sound in Allah is elongated, maybe that's what the fellow meant by the "Al-l..."

Technically, I believe, it means "greatest God", but is often translated idiomatically as "God is great".

And to contribute, I think some good Arabic in this game would be a very nice contribution to gameplay. Although I have no idea which dialect would be best, as I have only studied classical Arabic.

Allahu Akbar means 'God is greater.'

edit: oops, already said.

Originally posted by Preserved Killick:

The problem with that is that to say 'greatest God' implies that there is another god or gods besides Allah (swt) which is a big no-no to Muslims. Which I am sure you know, but I'm just trying to justify uping my post count.

smile.gif

Originally posted by V:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Preserved Killick:

The problem with that is that to say 'greatest God' implies that there is another god or gods besides Allah (swt) which is a big no-no to Muslims. Which I am sure you know, but I'm just trying to justify uping my post count.

smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by Shmavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by V:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Preserved Killick:

smile.gif </font>