Any plans to compiled all videos in the game?

cyborg

First of all, thanks Battlefront.com for bring great games such as the Combat Mission series. I am elated to read the upcoming Combat Mission games and I think Battlefront.com is headed in the right direction. I have been playing CM games over 5 years now and one thing I wish I had is the ability to compile all the one minute moves in to one viewable video. After playing my competitors in CM, I like the ability to sit back and admire my command aptitude by viewing all the moves without loading every single one minute video. In my proposed compiled video, perhaps you can display the enemy, which is hidden from my troops, in half opacity until seen by my troops. Are there any plans to accomplish this in the next CM games?

I really really want this.

This has been missing in the CMx1 engine and if it doesn't get in now it will be another 5 years.

The ability to save movies would really set this apart from other war games. Imagine the AARs!!!! I'd imagine it would have real utility for military customers.

It will be a nice feature but I'm a bit skeptical

about it. Being able to watch right from the start your opponent's tactical thinking and habits might not be good for gameplay. Every player has his signature, type of setup, preffered ways of attacking/defending. Revealing

all these so precisely and easily, will take away some mystery of your "enemy"'s tactical

profile.

So, although I'm tempted to see this kind of feature included, I won't be disappointed either if it doesnt make it eventually.

I would suggest it is NOT a high priority for the first release.

sooner or later they have to nip "feature creep" in the bud or the development of this game (CM:SF) could easily go on for another 18-24 months. (right now they are suggesting spring 2006 as the release time frame)

My guess is full movie re-play as you requested will not be featured in the first release of the new game engine.

BUT this is JUST my uninformed opinion.

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by panzermartin:

Being able to watch right from the start your opponent's tactical thinking and habits might not be good for gameplay. Every player has his signature, type of setup, preffered ways of attacking/defending. Revealing

all these so precisely and easily, will take away some mystery of your "enemy"'s tactical

profile.

I agree with this criticism, but I think there's a way around it: just like they have a password now for watching movie files, if this feature were to be included, a similar password could be utilized to protect the view of battle from the other side's POV.

If both players agree to share, they can exchange passwords and watch the game progress from both sides. If not, you could only watch your own troop advances, just like you do in-game.

Hope that made sense. This would be a KILLER feature.

Found Steve's comments

"Still high up on our wish list. Charles nixed the idea for CMBB and AK because he found the recoding necessary for it to be too much. Now we have a fresh slate. However, Charles is concerned about certain code issues and therefore is not going to promise anything until after he gives it a shot. If it proves to be too much of a headache for us, it will be skipped over until the next release. And there is no point whining ahead of time about it either.

Steve"

"Full game playback is what we are shooting for. The only options I envision is turning off FoW and seeing the battle from the other player's perspective. Not sure if that is possible to do though. Depends on how Charles stores the data and reads it back.

Full turn playback isn't something that is high on our list of things to do, but it might be a side effect possibility of how Charles stitches things together. We'll just have to wait and see.

Steve"

If this isn't in for the first release it most likely will not be in CMx2 unless they have extremely modular code. It would take far more work to make it easy to add this later then it would to put it in now.

The FOW thing isn't a reasonable argument. It's a still a game. I just think that it would add FAR more to the gaming experience then it would take away. If you are putting that much effort into researching me by downloading other game movies I've made then hell you deserve to beat me at the game. And if you only have one strategy a decent opponent will beat you the second, third fourth etc regardless of whether he's seen exactly which building that schrek (err...Javelin?) was in on turn 1.

So regardless I know BTS will try their best, as they always do. Just means I'll send them some Canadian beer this Xmas instead of nothing (being a better gift then US beer, of course).

[ October 31, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Then how about pool reporters hanging around taking video of everything that happens? After the battle we can watch the footage from their perspective.

Yep, I heard Geraldo Rivera will be in the game, so the Syrians can receive live video showing the US troop movements (if they can find a working satellite tv from the battlefield).

Originally posted by Colin:

If this isn't in for the first release it most likely will not be in CMx2 unless they have extremely modular code. It would take far more work to make it easy to add this later then it would to put it in now.

Steve has stated that several features will be availible in "the second release" so I think that would be yes to your question. Or steve is a dirty dirty liar.

"Then how about pool reporters hanging around"

On a slightly related note, wasn't there a brief mention of an alternate mode of play from the usual god-like CM command position. it sounded to me like you could chose to be locked to a single unit shooter-style and follow the action that way. That might be interesting to follow as a movie - unless you pick to follow the poor sap who's left behind to guard the trucks!

Does ayone else recall this, or am I suffering from a overload-of-halloween-chocolate hallucination?