RT v. WEGO

yapma

Thanks Hawkmek.

I will see if i can find it.

Also, thanks for the info re the Alt-P command. Turns out , I downloaded but neglected to install the patch. Duh. There's an explanation as to how I could do something this stupid, but the internet is forever, so i will leave it at that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the WEGO system designed as a middle ground to over come the limitations inherent with both RT and Turn-based? I thought WEGO was the best part of CM1.

I find the level of Micro-Management in RT to be un-realistic. I prefer WEGO, where I am only allowed to intervene every 60 sec.

Makes for much more tactical play in the long run.

Originally posted by yapma:

Mord:

A remarkable searching talent you have developed.

Thank you.

LOL Nope. Lucky guess! I remembered having posted in that thread recently and took a stab at what page it was on...found after like three tries.

As for actually searching...it's hit or miss on here. Sometimes I nail the topic and sometimes I get everything BUT what I need.

You're welcome. Enjoy.

Mord.

The problem with WeGo is that the commands were designed with RT in mind, and many important (for WeGo) commands were left out, like Shoot & Scoot. Inability to properly chain commands is also critical in WeGo - if you want a Stryker to move, dismount its infantry, then move again, and have the infantry move after dismounting, you need several turns to do that sequence. At worst you'll be wasting almost three minutes where in RT you could do it in 30 secs.

The problem with RT is that the command interface really is a left-over from WeGo. While decent enough for turn-based play (with the unique hotkeys) it is unacceptably slow and clumsy to use for time-critical RT play (no mouse context menu, all available commands not visible or accessible at the same time). So your success in RT depends more on how fast you can work the interface instead of your tactical planning.

Ironically the cure for fixing these issues with both RT and WeGo is largely the same. BFC only needs to take note of the Close Combat command interface to get it right. RT is no excuse for a dumbed down command system and WeGo isn't hurt by having a more streamlined command system; give the player more options with the commands, but make them accessible faster, and you'll be improving both WeGo and RT gameplay at the same time.

like Shoot & Scoot
you could easilie recreate this command by placing pause at the first waypoint, than a "reverse" waypoint back. would work like a charm but the commands stacking would need to be fixed first.

if fact is even more flexible, you can have the vehicle pause for 15/30/45/60 seconds and move on to another fireing position by itself. you could leapfrog(sp!?)in wego like the books tell it :D

Completely pointless? It seems to offer the quality of needing to think in advance.

Frankly, I find RT with pause to border on ridiculous. Issuing immediately acted upon orders to 100s of soldiers any time you want does not simulate anything. It makes it a video game.

CM2 is a better video game. CM1 was a better "Game".

So don't pause more than once every 60 seconds to give orders, if that's your thing. What's the difference? Other than the hyper-realistic replay facility enjoyed by RL commanders everywhere, that is?

The other difference, of course, it that if your troops start doing something really dumb because of inadequate tac AI and abstract modelling (as opposed to some deep psychological simulation of the erratic behaviour of men under combat conditions.. cough ) you have at least a sporting chance of stopping them in time to prevent catastrophe.