5 basic gameplay questions...

1. How do you get a MBT or other armor vehicle in more of a hull-down position?

When I used hunt to a berm, they moved up onto the berm and eventually got taken out.

2. Will a TOW equipped Hummer or Bradley, or Stryker use the TOW automatically, or do you have to force it?

I've only seen the Bradley's firing there cannons.

3. Is there a line of sight tool?

4. Is there a way to toggle off all the overlay for a better screenshot of picture?

5. and finally, not me...but a friend and I attempted to play last night, as soon as he started CMSF his teamspeak would no longer transmit, but he could hear me... anyone else have this problem, and know why or how to fix it?

Thx for your time.

Can't answer all, but here's the ones I can help on:

1. You have to eyeball it. Place the final movement waypoint just short of the crest, and the AFV will stop there. Unlike CMx1, Hull Down is incremental in CMx2, so you need to choose just how "hull down" you want to be. Doesn't bother me because that's the way I always did it in CMx1; I found the "Seek Hull Down" command pretty worthless. But some others have expressed frustration about this.

2. Use of special weapons like TOWs is determined by the AI. IME, TOW-equipped vehicles use the missiles pretty willingly, especially if they spot enemy armor. There is no way to specifically tell a vehicle to use a TOW. Keep in mind that a Bradley needs to come to a full stop for several seconds before it can fire a TOW (to deploy the launcher), and has to remain stationary while the missile is in flight. It appears that, in some cases, the AI will choose to use cannon fire instead perhaps because it doesn't feel it has the time to setup a TOW shot.

3. Only LOS tool CMSF has is the target tool, which works fine unless you're in the Editor. . .

Just to expand on "2" above:

If you select "Target" with a BFV it will fire TOW as well as 25mm and coax.

If you select "Target Light" with a BFV it will fire only 25mm and coax. That is, "Target Light" locks out the use of TOW.

Sorry forgot ...

4. Yes. As SgtMuhammed has mentioned below (not trying to steal his glory) you can turn almost everything off to produce "realistic" pictures:

59sec_Muchler_engages_house.jpg

The only things I can't seem to turn off are the #^%#$% red crosses that appear whenever someone gets hit, the compass and the little triangles at the very top of the screen.

But when I take the screenshots for my AAR, I just crop the top part of the screen and that takes care of the compass and the triangles.

[ March 26, 2008, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

I guess BFC's opiniton may be *real life* doesn't come with a LOS tool so neither does the game smile.gif LOS tool really comes in handy for those 'eye of God' players who hover above their troops. I've found getting to ground level and simply looking over your unit's shoulder tells you most of what you need to know. Last night I just couldn't get LOS on a target. I got down behind my RPG guy and ...Ohhhh! There's a frickin' 2 foot terrain bump blocking the shot! Move slightly left and he fires.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Wow, I didn't know that! Because that's a WeGo trick and I'm a 99.99% Realtime kinda guy smile.gif

I've found it very useful for RT, because you can set a unit off and give it a targeting order at the end, so you know what he's up to and you can go look at someone else.

I've started using it more and more really - it's one of the features of the new engine that seems to have been overlooked but is actually really cool.

Originally posted by Magnum MGG:

1. How do you get a MBT or other armor vehicle in more of a hull-down position?

When I used hunt to a berm, they moved up onto the berm and eventually got taken out.

2. Will a TOW equipped Hummer or Bradley, or Stryker use the TOW automatically, or do you have to force it?

I've only seen the Bradley's firing there cannons.

3. Is there a line of sight tool?

4. Is there a way to toggle off all the overlay for a better screenshot of picture?

5. and finally, not me...but a friend and I attempted to play last night, as soon as he started CMSF his teamspeak would no longer transmit, but he could hear me... anyone else have this problem, and know why or how to fix it?

Thx for your time.

1. No way except to judge it visually.

2. I find a manual TARGET command is the best way to ensure this happens. Left to their own devices the TacAI doesn't seem to fire (and waste) as many heavy weapons.

3. The TARGET is the LOS tool. This is by design as it has (mostly) the same funtionality. I don't think I miss the old LOS function.

4. ALT-I to turn off icons. As stated above that's about all you can turn off, but you can crop the rest out.

5. This game is pushing a lot of data, some save games are 17meg so it's possible your bandwidth is getting pushed to its limit. But I don't really know what your problem is.