Mission Briefings

Don't know if this has been brought up in this new forum yet or not - will mission briefings now have graphics in them - maps, overlays, photos, other images, and will scenario designers be able to add them in (perhaps even do HTML)?

Ditto "map overlays" in the 3D world?

I used to love MacGowan and Kibler's artwork on the Squad Leader/ASL scenario cards. It kind of set the tone for each game. A neat, consistent look to the mission briefings would be cool too. And, maybe, give something for mod artists to sink their teeth in. If we have Tarkus et al and 1000 different interface mods, well, scenario graphics might be another one.

Who can forget pulling out PAW OF THE TIGER and seeing the German tank commander in his turret on the scenario card? Or the Stuka on BREAKOUT FROM BORISOV? Would love to see something similar possible with briefing screens.

[ August 25, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Don't know if this has been brought up in this new forum yet or not - will mission briefings now have graphics in them - maps, overlays, photos, other images...

I was just remembering about the old "Panzer Elite" briefings : the player, before starting his mission, was briefed with a dynamic map, showing main objectives, axis of advance, etc. This "dynamic" aspect might not be very interesting and/or usefull, but there was an interesting aspect about these maps : they were based on the real 3D map (the map player had ingame), via the scenario editor. So, it may be not so difficult to add an accurate map in the briefing as it was automatically generated by the computer.

Another solution would be to upload a map manually by the designer : scans of topo or historical maps could be really great too...

I would like to see each side provided with a schematic rough sketch map of the battlefield that can be called up at any time. This would be a bit like the notes the commander took on the back of an envelope at the briefing a few hours before the battle. It could (and should) contain mistakes, and not have a whole lot of detail.

You don't need this kind of thing on a small map, but on really big maps I would rather have a simple line drawing of the road and river net, prominent buildings and woods, real and imagined fortifications, and pre-game intelligence. And it would most certainly not get updated as the game progressed -- it would be there to consult at all times, mistakes and all.

This is definitely an area for improvement over CMx1. Having to provide text files to import into the scenario designer, in the correct order etc., definitely lacks polish and looks like an afterthought.

I would like the Scenario Designer to be a proper windows tool that builds briefings that follow the same template.

Assuming the setting for the first game is WWII, the Scenario Designer could include a sketch map (generated from the map designer) with graphics that can be added for pen-written symbols (like in "Operation Flashpoint"), a black and white action photo generated from the in-game graphics (would be better than archive photos in my opinion, as it would be more consistent between scenarios and you could stage your own photo), and text describing set briefing sections (again for consistency between scenarios).