Crows V UAV's

Peter Cairns,

Remarkable! Would've been even better with telephoto lens on camera and CAVU, though. The issue it raises is intriguing, and I can well believe that both raptors and birdstrikes could readily down a light UAV operating within the normal flight envelopes of raptors and non predatory birds alike. Seems to me the trend toward micro UAVs would only make the problem worse.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Lars,

For the Syrians the hawk is as expendable as the UAV is to the US, oh and given that it would be light tactical, I wouldn't want to hand launch one with superglue and razorblades on it....

Peter.

Yeah, but how long does it take to train a hawk?

A lot longer than it takes to put together another model airplane. ;)

Lars,

True, but from the low tech perspective, you have few options and given the choice between using hawks or letting the US or whoever pick you off with real time aerial intelegence, what would you do.

I know in Vietnam the US played about with converting .50 Brownings to fire fechettes as a way of suppressing fire from river banks.

I suppose a Degtyarev 14.5mm, could be made into an anti tactical UAV super shotgun, or a Russian 32mm auto grenade launcher.

Peter.

Originally posted by birdstrike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I can well believe that both raptors and birdstrikes could readily down a light UAV

Well, I cannot speak for the reptiles, but I assure you I couldn't down a UAV, even if I wanted to - unless they let me take over the FC remote... :D </font>

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by birdstrike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I can well believe that both raptors and birdstrikes could readily down a light UAV

Well, I cannot speak for the reptiles, but I assure you I couldn't down a UAV, even if I wanted to - unless they let me take over the FC remote... :D </font>