Suggestion: what do you think of it?

MrGrey

Hi everybody,

this is my second post ever in this forum.

As I wrote in my first post tongue.gif I've been following this game for a while, and I am an "old time" player of all the Combat Mission series.

My brother bought and downloaded Shock Force when it came out but I decided te get it only today, (still downloading) after the 1.05 patch came out, as we could finally play online together in real time.

Well, as I wrote on the subject of this thread, this is my suggestion.

Now, I've seen the game "in action" in my brother's PC and it's really stunning and well made.

Everything seems really clever and there is really an attention to details, even minimals.

But... The only thing that has bothered me about the game, is the Infantry Command buttons and especially orders.

I mean, the only thing that's "missing", in my opinion, is a new key so that I could DECIDE the "posture" that my squads have to assume. It happens that my squad very very often are in a (relatively) safe area, some 5/600 meters from the supposed enemy positions, and yet ALL the men in the squads are prone on the ground... Why, I said..

Another situation: in city fighting, often my squads crawl and are prone on the terrain, when usually in real life you would see these men on their knees. I 've rarely seen soldiers crawling between two houses.. Movements are really strange.

Usually , when clearing city blocks,soldiers are not on the ground (not always , I mean). They may be with their knees on the ground, but I really would like to decide that myself.

Also, they take longer to attack or assault an enemy position, since they have firstly to stand up, then run , then fire etc etc...

Wouldn't be cool to have 3 New hotkeys to select the posture of my squads?

1) Standing

2) Knee position

3) Ground position

If, for example, I want one of my squad to ALWAYS stay on the ground to cover my other guys, I would like to decide it so.

I, for instance, would like another squad to be ready to assault a house when ready.

Obviously, when under fire, these men will try to seek cover, but their "standard" posture may be decided by the player.

I have also Theatre of War , and in that game this works really well.

What do you guys think about this?

Cheers

Riccardo

[ December 20, 2007, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: MrGrey ]

What comands are you using to cross the gaps, because it sounds like your using the "slow" command. That command is exactly what it sounds like; move forward with minimal exposure, it is very slow and very tireing, and they will always crawl.

Try using the other commands, hunt is now quite effective at moving you pixel truppen forward while keeping them alive, the minute they see ANY hostile they will go to ground in situ.

To cross small gaps i use assault and quick, they appear to be the best compromise between speed and observation. Also, dont be afraid to use suppresive fire. I found i had to get out of this mentality of only fireing at identified hostiles. I appreciate a real comander may have ROE's prohibiting such behaviour, but if I was THERE and they were MY boys id id do anything that would keep them safe. And that means fireing on positions that you may only "suspect" to conceal the enemy.

If you end up suppressing an empty building all youve lost is a few rounds of ammo (or a javalin as they are bloody great at supression :D ) but if the rooms occupied youve just saved a squad from sure death.

• 2 weeks later...

He makes a valid point, though. Troops in potentially hostile territory don't just automatically belly-flop anytime they aren't moving, and they don't stand around picking their noses, either. 'Taking a knee' is kind of the default state for a halt when you're patrolling and aren't under enemy fire.

In the game I think it would add a level of realism if being on one knee was the default state when a dismounted unit reaches the end of their movement orders and aren't being shot at.

Originally posted by MrGrey:

Hi everybody,

this is my second post ever in this forum.

As I wrote in my first post tongue.gif I've been following this game for a while, and I am an "old time" player of all the Combat Mission series.

My brother bought and downloaded Shock Force when it came out but I decided te get it only today, (still downloading) after the 1.05 patch came out, as we could finally play online together in real time.

Well, as I wrote on the subject of this thread, this is my suggestion.

Now, I've seen the game "in action" in my brother's PC and it's really stunning and well made.

Everything seems really clever and there is really an attention to details, even minimals.

But... The only thing that has bothered me about the game, is the Infantry Command buttons and especially orders.

I mean, the only thing that's "missing", in my opinion, is a new key so that I could DECIDE the "posture" that my squads have to assume. It happens that my squad very very often are in a (relatively) safe area, some 5/600 meters from the supposed enemy positions, and yet ALL the men in the squads are prone on the ground... Why, I said..

Another situation: in city fighting, often my squads crawl and are prone on the terrain, when usually in real life you would see these men on their knees. I 've rarely seen soldiers crawling between two houses.. Movements are really strange.

Usually , when clearing city blocks,soldiers are not on the ground (not always , I mean). They may be with their knees on the ground, but I really would like to decide that myself.

Also, they take longer to attack or assault an enemy position, since they have firstly to stand up, then run , then fire etc etc...

1) Standing

2) Knee position

3) Ground position

If, for example, I want one of my squad to ALWAYS stay on the ground to cover my other guys, I would like to decide it so.

I, for instance, would like another squad to be ready to assault a house when ready.

Obviously, when under fire, these men will try to seek cover, but their "standard" posture may be decided by the player.

Cheers

Riccardo

How ironic - In TOW I'm trying to hack into Human AI to try and tell my troops to always end their movement prone....Just like in CMSF.

Interesting. I seem to remember seeing some promotional pictures of Shock Force before it was released and there was definitely one of Syrian infantry taking the knee and I remember thinking, "Wow, that looks cool." It must have been in there at some point along with the mortar teams too. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, those pictures were highly influential because before I saw them, I wasn't much interested in a game about Modern Warfare.

Originally posted by MrGrey:

1) Standing

2) Knee position

3) Ground position

Cheers

Riccardo

I completely agree. The movement orders and even hide do not seem to give any indication as to what stance various individuals will take when they are in position. I have had guys slow-move and then hide and randomly stand bolt upright on a hill crest after spotting or engaging something.