Now SF is released - CMx2 - WW2 progress ?

Regarding the article below and now Shock Force is released, can we look forward to WW2 CMx2 this year ?

"Combat Mission set in WWII

We won't be talking much about this project until after CM:SF is released for the simple reason that we can not afford to be distracted by something we aren't actively working on yet. What I can tell you is that the setting for the main title will be WWII set in western ETO 1944-45 timeframe. Like CM:SF the player will be in command of a task force based around US forces. Follow up Modules will cover other Allied forces and settings within the same WWII western ETO setting."

source:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000289

I've been getting this funny feeling lately. .. admittedly based on absolutely nothing, the same 'nothing' that everyone else on this board has been getting.

It's like the probabilities of BFC abandoning development on CMSF for the time being and leap-frogging into a WWII build of the game has lately gone from 0% (no way in hell) to maybe a 12% probability. That would still be an 88% probability that CMSF will see the light of day.

Does anyone else get the 'ESP vibe' that they may be committed to the new engine but their enthusiasm for a Styker Brigade game is waning? Just a few screenshots and the appearance of a CMSF game website would quickly torpedo my mad theory.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I've been getting this funny feeling lately. .. admittedly based on absolutely nothing, the same 'nothing' that everyone else on this board has been getting.

It's like the probabilities of BFC abandoning development on CMSF for the time being and leap-frogging into a WWII build of the game has lately gone from 0% (no way in hell) to maybe a 12% probability. That would still be an 88% probability that CMSF will see the light of day.

Does anyone else get the 'ESP vibe' that they may be committed to the new engine but their enthusiasm for a Styker Brigade game is waning? Just a few screenshots and the appearance of a CMSF game website would quickly torpedo my mad theory.

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. The last I remember Matt saying was Charles had a problem he needed to solve. I'm just hoping it's not something like PBEM.

TBH, if SF was dropped in favour of a WWII theme I'd be very happy about it. Even if it meant waiting another year for anything with the CMx2 engine but brought WWII forward 6 months.

I'll probably still but SF but it doesn't really enthuse me.

About waiting another year, one assumes a WWII engine would simply be the CMSF engine with the missiles removed. That may cut down on development time. There's no telling how much (or little) work has been done with an eye towards other titles. Could there be high polygon count Shermans, 75mm PaK40s and Space lobsters already constructed and stored away for later use?

:confused:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

About waiting another year, one assumes a WWII engine would simply be the CMSF engine with the missiles removed. That may cut down on development time. There's no telling how much (or little) work has been done with an eye towards other titles. Could there be high polygon count Shermans, 75mm PaK40s and Space lobsters already constructed and stored away for later use?

:confused:

I imagine 3D models etc now have COTS implementations, rather than Charles having to write one. So that wouldn't be the bottleneck, you could farm them out to whoever you wanted (Sorry whoever in BFC currently does it). It's all about Charles AFAICT.

What in a modern timeframe would break a game that wouldn't in WWII? IR equipment? Reactive armor? I guess it could happen but I'm kind of talking myself out of it.