Hotkey Suggestion

I'm not happy with the hotkey system and I had a few ideas.

Since the U, I, O, J, K, L, M, ',' and '.' keys have multiple uses depending on context it would be very useful if the Movement, Combat, Special, and Administrative sub-menus could be accessed via hotkey as well. This would allow me to quickly hit (movement hotkey)-i and know I've just correctly issued a move-quick order instead of a combat-pause order. I realize the T and Y keys toggle through the sub-menus but that's not the same thing. If the hotkey system is going to work I really think each sub-menu is also going to need a specific hotkey.

In addition, could we please get a matrix of the proper syntax for modifying the hotkey textfile if we'd like to use the numeric keypad instead of U, I, O, J, K, L, M, ',' and '.'?

tanki is correct, the 4 "special" hotkeys also work for switching the Tabs... i.e. G is a "quick"-hotkey for Target, but it also switches the UI to the Combat tab, like wise B is for Quick Move, and switches to the Movement tab.

Although needless to say that is far from ideal, since in order to use a hotkey for Slow Movement you now have to press B and then J :mad:

And while I'm at it, I'll infest another thread with my rant about how the K-hotkey in one tab orders a Hunt command, yet in another it makes your crews BAIL OUT... :mad:

[ July 29, 2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

How about using the top row keys of the numpad to select the tabs? Then use the number keys to give the actual commands.

Then again, I'd rather be done away with the command tabs. But that would be an acceptable short-term workaround, or improvement if you will.

Toning down the ranting a bit, here’s some constructive criticism… how about expanding on the abilities of “hotkeys.txt” and allowing us to configure a unique hotkey for *every* command, not just the 5 “special” ones (target, hide, quick-move, face, pause). I’m sure there is enough letters in the English alphabet to cover all of the possible commands. Also, the context sensitive hotkeys for the 3x3 button matrix can be moved over to the NumPad… since well, in case no one has noticed, it’s also a 3x3 matrix of buttons… talk about serendipity!

Originally posted by The Louch:

Also, the context sensitive hotkeys for the 3x3 button matrix can be moved over to the NumPad… since well, in case no one has noticed, it’s also a 3x3 matrix of buttons… talk about serendipity!

It works with the numpad by default. It'd be nice to be able to free up the letter keys for direct hotkey commands though, so you could map your most used commands into their own keys as you wish.

And while I'm at it, I'll infest another thread with my rant about how the K-hotkey in one tab orders a Hunt command, yet in another it makes your crews BAIL OUT... :mad: [/QB]
Why don't you change it then? (See the manual)

Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />And while I'm at it, I'll infest another thread with my rant about how the K-hotkey in one tab orders a Hunt command, yet in another it makes your crews BAIL OUT... :mad:

Why don't you change it then? </font>

Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />And while I'm at it, I'll infest another thread with my rant about how the K-hotkey in one tab orders a Hunt command, yet in another it makes your crews BAIL OUT... :mad:

Why don't you change it then? (See the manual) [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Louch:

Also, the context sensitive hotkeys for the 3x3 button matrix can be moved over to the NumPad… since well, in case no one has noticed, it’s also a 3x3 matrix of buttons… talk about serendipity!

It works with the numpad by default. </font>